Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Heaven: Anyone know about them?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
1) IF you are qualified (have the correct paperwork) to get a visa and the common sense to avoid dodgy agencies then 100%.

2) That depend on who you piss-off. Zero chance until someone gets mad at you (or your employer) and files a complaint with the local immigration, labor or education office.

If the employer is high enough up the totem pole then no worry.
If they are not then you get a few days in a detention center before being shipped out at your expense (or held until you have the cash to pay for your exit).

Thanks for the info! I did get the impression that getting a work permit in Thailand isn't too difficult but it's good to hear a second opinion!

Are English teachers in Thailand who don't have a proper TEFL/CELTA certification still able to find legal, visa-sponsored work?

Just not sure what my chances would be if I were to get a quick weekend TEFL certificate here in UK in September (for my own benefit really for some experience) then going to Thailand in October. Although tbh, at the moment I'm considering looking into getting a proper 4-week TEFL certificte and going early next year in time for April.

Thanks again for your help Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements to teach EFL in Thailand are:
    Degree
    Academic record from your uni (Transcripts)
    Correct passport (or TOEIC test in lieu).
    Police clearance/check.

Bingo, Bob's yer Uncle. A visa and a work permit is as easy as pie.
Just add a work contract and some paperwork from the school and you are done in a flash (now-a-days, often done while you wait at the local immigration office rather than running abroad to get your visa).

You will notice that a TEFL/CELTA/TESL/TESOL cert is NOT in the list of required documents for visa issuance or issuance of a work permit.

ADD to that the simple fact that the vast majority of EFL employers simply do not care. ALL they want is a white face (preferably still with a pulse and able to walk to the classroom under their own steam) who meets the requirements for a visa and work permit.

Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
    Degree
    Police clearance/check.

Just add a work contract and some paperwork from the school and you are done in a flash (now-a-days, often done while you wait at the local immigration office rather than running abroad to get your visa).

You will notice that a TEFL/CELTA/TESL/TESOL cert is NOT in the list of required documents for visa issuance or issuance of a work permit.

ADD to that the simple fact that the vast majority of EFL employers simply do not care. ALL they want is a white face (preferably still with a pulse and able to walk to the classroom under their own steam) who meets the requirements for a visa and work permit.

Thanks for the info! Very Happy

I know I might be crazy for this but I still think I would want to get some kind of TEFL course before Thailand purely for my own benefit as I have zero experience in teaching, and I think a little bit of training would ease me into it.... which brings me to two points:

1) Would there be ANY benefit in Thailand job market in getting a 4-week 120 hours TEFL certificate? I know I could find work without one, but would one of these perhaps get me into some jobs I couldn't without?

2) I still need to do a bit of research into Thailand as I am currently really considering it as an option. But in terms of towns/cities etc, how picky can I be? I mean, come April, could I just go to any large town or city in Thailand, spend a few weeks job hunting and find work? Or would I have to go to a large city like Bangkok?
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
    Degree
    Police clearance/check.

Thanks for the info! Very Happy

I know I might be crazy for this but I still think I would want to get some kind of TEFL course before Thailand purely for my own benefit as I have zero experience in teaching, and I think a little bit of training would ease me into it.... which brings me to two points:

1) Would there be ANY benefit in Thailand job market in getting a 4-week 120 hours TEFL certificate? I know I could find work without one, but would one of these perhaps get me into some jobs I couldn't without?

2) I still need to do a bit of research into Thailand as I am currently really considering it as an option. But in terms of towns/cities etc, how picky can I be? I mean, come April, could I just go to any large town or city in Thailand, spend a few weeks job hunting and find work? Or would I have to go to a large city like Bangkok?
teachertomthailand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you take the CELTA and get some serious job training. This is one of the most respected trainings around and you can take it pretty cheap at International House Bangkok. They do not guarantee a job like some shady operations but they give you some pointers about job searches, resumes, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: