Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some advice about looking for a job in Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanamk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Need some advice about looking for a job in Singapore Reply with quote

Hi,

I am an ESL teacher for adults with a Masters degree in English Literature with Honours and a CELTA. I have been teaching English to adults for a year now as part of a CSR project, and have been training volunteer teachers to deliver the British Council-designed course too.

I have been looking for English-teaching jobs abroad for a while now, but my lack of adequate experience and the fact that I'm Indian hasn't really helped me get any favourable responses.

I want to work in Singapore, and am planning to go there in November to see if applying in person will help. I wanted to know if this is a good idea, and if anyone could give me any tips to make the trip successful.

Sorry for the long message, but this is my first time on a discussion forum and I thought of just giving all the information I could to get some informed responses. Smile
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. The fact that you are Indian will make little difference. There are lots of Indian citizens teaching English as well as other things at the tertiary level in Singapore. However, be warned it might take some time to find anything half decent and you may need to initially work at a language school. Starting salary at such places is $3500 and upwards.
Sanamk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. It's a bit reassuring to hear some positive responses on this subject.

I do have one more question though. I've heard of a lot of issues with institutions hiring foreigners to teach and then letting them go within 3 months. This is a little scary, especially considering that this also means that one would be working there without a valid work visa. Any advic on the kind of precautions I can take to avoid this?

Ok. Two more questions. Smile Is November a good time to look for jobs there?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never personally heard of anyone being let go after 3 months, unless they were incompetent.

Your company will start the process of securing your an Employment Pass as soon as you start work.

November is as good a time as any. Remember...it takes time to find decent work in Singapore. Be patient.
Sanamk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'll have to learn with experience. Thanks a lot! Hopefully the trip will be more successful than my online attempts at getting a job there. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: