Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New retirement age 65 years in UAE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadianinuae

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to 65 Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
Back on the 65 age limit ... I've heard that once you're over 60, you have to do an annual visa renewal. This is a hassle for the employee and employer, so they tend to look for new hires that would statistically have fewer health issues and cost less for a visa renewal; once every three years, not every year.

Special skills and a longstanding track record of success in the region might make it happen, but I would say the 55 and older folks are not in the top bracket for consideration.

And you know this to be true? Where'd you get your info? I know a few people well over 60 who were recently hired...cut off age is 65, and some places will keep you on longer
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Back to 65 Reply with quote

canadianinuae wrote:
Gulezar wrote:
Back on the 65 age limit ... I've heard that once you're over 60, you have to do an annual visa renewal. This is a hassle for the employee and employer, so they tend to look for new hires that would statistically have fewer health issues and cost less for a visa renewal; once every three years, not every year.

Special skills and a longstanding track record of success in the region might make it happen, but I would say the 55 and older folks are not in the top bracket for consideration.

And you know this to be true? Where'd you get your info? I know a few people well over 60 who were recently hired...cut off age is 65, and some places will keep you on longer

I have my sources. I also know folks who have been hired who are over 60, but it doesn't help one's chances. Nobody is arguing that those who are over 60 and show themselves to be worthwhile members of a team would be fired for being over 60. It would just be a matter of prioritizing if a institution had to downsize for economic reasons. Age would be the most logical reason to be placed on the table. Then it's just a matter of a kinder, gentler version of Trump, but it all comes down to "You're fired."
Lord T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the case that they aren't going to pay huge salaries ever again, so they need to expand their pool of potential recruits?
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I would say that anyone that is hired over 55-58 would be someone with direct related experience with Arabic speakers... preferably in the Gulf... on their CV. That has pretty much always been true.

VS

I qualify for your quote VS. I'll let all know the details in Feb. 2017.

Grendal
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Grendal!!

VS
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Good Luck Grendal!!

VS

Thanks VS, but you know as the saying goes...
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all...
I've been dealt a bad hand this life, maybe next life will be better.

Smile
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Back to 65 Reply with quote

canadianinuae wrote:
Gulezar wrote:

I did not say that those over 60 would not be hired. Some are. I did not say that those over 60 would not be kept on. I'm just saying that given two candidates with the same experience and qualifications that most places would TEND, or even have it set in the resume sort out, to take younger candidates, rather than anyone over 60.

People over 60 MIGHT have more health issues; they MIGHT be less flexible, especially with technology; they MIGHT have an over-inflated sense of their worth. Key would is MIGHT, relating back to TEND. Younger candidates MIGHT have more stamina; they MIGHT have fewer insurance claims and create a younger pool, which MIGHT mean lower insurance premiums overall.

If you are in the HR Department and you have to arrange for a visa renewal every year, as with those over 60, or you have folks who are under 60 and get a visa renewal every three years, which one would you chose? This rule MIGHT not apply to those with a PhD.

I got my information from personal experience, with visa issues and on hiring committees.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Moaning Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
Could it be the case that they aren't going to pay huge salaries ever again, so they need to expand their pool of potential recruits?

You just have to look at the grievances posting in this forum: more work, longer hours, less vacation time, lower educational allowance, lower travel allowance, reduced housing, less release time, less support for PD, fewer donuts on the coffee table; the list goes on and on.

The good old days are gone, so hire the fresh young faces who have no history in the region and are just grateful to have a job and sweat their asses off to pass probation.
Lord T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Moaning Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:

The good old days are gone, so hire the fresh young faces who have no history in the region and are just grateful to have a job and sweat their asses off to pass probation.

This is also what I am currently seeing. However, some are very old faces (I'm in KSA), but they are new to the region and appear to be willing to accept being treated as day laborers. It's all very sad.
danshengou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Moaning Reply with quote

Lord T wrote:
Gulezar wrote:

This is also what I am currently seeing. However, some are very old faces (I'm in KSA), but they are new to the region and appear to be willing to accept being treated as day laborers. It's all very sad.

In my experience, most FTs that go to KSA are either new to teaching, in debt or broke, or can't get a job anywhere else (for whatever reason). Without any leverage, you are at risk. All very sad indeed.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Moaning Reply with quote

[quote="danshengou"]
Lord T wrote:
Gulezar wrote:

In my experience, most FTs that go to KSA are either new to teaching, in debt or broke, or can't get a job anywhere else (for whatever reason). Without any leverage, you are at risk. All very sad indeed.

In the current world few teachers (in public schools or in the EFL environment) have very much leverage. Fact of life! Another fact that I have observed in the Gulf region is that many EFL teachers did not plan to become EFL teachers when they started their post-secondary training, and after getting an undergraduate degree in "something" fell into teaching EFL in some foreign country, and then saw it was a decent way to make a living so took a course in CELTA or some equivalent. Then maybe an on line (or full time) Master of??

We do whatever it takes. No point on gnashing teeth because as the Eagles sang; "Every form of refuge has it's price."
haziran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academics are allowed to stay until age 70 ...
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haziran wrote:

Two questions WRT your statement:

1. As of when have they been allowed to stay?
2. What do you define as "academics"?

I frame this because I know of 5 HCT faculty with lots of experience and with Masters and PhDs who were terminated several years ago - all between 60 and 65. HCT's loss. They have all (apparently) moved on to other countries where they are employed.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have noted through the years is that age is used as an excuse to get rid of either someone who has stepped on the wrong toes... or to cut salary costs (as they are usually at the top of the scale). But doesn't tend to get enforced across the board.

VS
haziran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbear wrote:
haziran wrote:

Two questions WRT your statement:

1. As of when have they been allowed to stay?
2. What do you define as "academics"?

I frame this because I know of 5 HCT faculty with lots of experience and with Masters and PhDs who were terminated several years ago - all between 60 and 65. HCT's loss. They have all (apparently) moved on to other countries where they are employed.

From my initial contract (2013):

"Please note that Ministerial Resolution No 854 for 2005, dated September 2005, states that employment in the U.A.E. does not continue beyond the age of 70 years."

I just assumed it was an exception that applied specifically to academics since I had always heard that the cutoff age was 65 for foreign workers in the UAE... not sure who told me that though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: