Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it realistic for me to try for a job in Oman?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Is it realistic for me to try for a job in Oman? Reply with quote

I really REALLY love Oman, I lived there not long ago and fell in love with the place. I decided that I wanted to go back so I did my CELTA and have been applying, however I haven't gotten anything so far, not even an interview or acknowledgement of my application except for IH which rejected me on the spot.

Reading in here I can see that getting a job in Oman appears to be extremely difficult if not impossible, and I am afraid the problem is that I don't have a passport from an English speaking country (though lived in England).

Should I quit trying? Am I wasting my time?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are general requirements to teach EFL in Oman:
Quote:
Qualifications:

1. Bachelor Degree with a TESOL or TEFL certificate and with a minimum of 3 years experience or

2. Master Degree in TESOL, TEFL, Applied Linguistics, Literature or related subject and with a minimum of 3 years experience

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=36648
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that will mean no since my MA is not in the field of ESL...

thanks Sad
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can find some type of employment based on other experience. What are your degrees in, and what work experience do you have?
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to be here just send the required documents [MOD edit] to all the recruiting companies that supply for the MOM or MOHE colleges-should get some response.....though it may take time. Most important- classroom experience, cutural sensitivity, [but then you've lived here before-right?] and classroom management skills.....
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have experience in education and classroom but not specifically ESL, I was working with literacy for adults in vulnerable areas of Colombia, my experience with English Education is centered in design and editing of textbooks (also for Colombia) in ESL. I have an MA in Near and Middle Eastern Studies from SOAS-University of London and I have previously lived in Oman. The main problems that I am detecting here is that I am not actually from an English speaking country (though lived in the UK a huge chunk of my life), and also that my experience is not directly ESL.

On the other hand I am not really picky about fancy salaries since I am single and I don't have any major financial responsibilities.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your nationality?
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazilian
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyrockets wrote:
I do have experience in education and classroom but not specifically ESL, I was working with literacy for adults in vulnerable areas of Colombia, my experience with English Education is centered in design and editing of textbooks (also for Colombia) in ESL. I have an MA in Near and Middle Eastern Studies from SOAS-University of London and I have previously lived in Oman. The main problems that I am detecting here is that I am not actually from an English speaking country (though lived in the UK a huge chunk of my life), and also that my experience is not directly ESL.

On the other hand I am not really picky about fancy salaries since I am single and I don't have any major financial responsibilities.

Your MA isn't TEFL related, so that hurts your chances.

Are both your degrees from Anglophone countries? If so, you may have a chance with some of the private recruiters like Hawthorne.... Otherwise, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you at least connect with Brazilians presently residing in Oman for networking purposes. Do an Internet search on: expat brazilians in oman.
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and really haven't gotten anywhere with my fellow compatriots. There seems to be a very individualistic drive among them once they have nailed a rather fancy job (which most have in Oman, mostly in the oil industry). I am not looking for a fancy job, I just want to be able to work, spend some time in Oman and improve my Arabic.

This seems to be out of reach for me at the moment as I can see... Sad
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Desmond Decker famously sang-'You can get it if you really want!' 3 issues...1] nationality-not a problem.[I'm talking Ministry college jobs here] Majority of teachers in these institutes are non-native speakers from all over the place. 2] Experience. look at the requirements and tailor your CV to reflect this. 3] Qualifications-they won't be accepted. These are specific. Either-'adjust' these or gain another degree.....
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have my masters degree from a UK university and a CELTA. Right now that's as much as my pocket can handle. Very Happy my problem is that I don't have all the tefl experience people here say is a must habe, which means that it will take me years before I can even be considered.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyrockets wrote:
Well I have my masters degree from a UK university and a CELTA. Right now that's as much as my pocket can handle. Very Happy my problem is that I don't have all the tefl experience people here say is a must habe, which means that it will take me years before I can even be considered.

If you're adamant about teaching in Oman, consider getting a TEFL job in either Egypt or KSA first in order to gain a few years of Mid East experience. (Your lack of a relevant degree could still be an issue.) Or stay in your current country/wherever and just make Oman your favorite annual vacation destination. Frankly, there's no guarantee that TEFL job requirements (i.e., specified degree, experience, nationality, etc.) won't change over the next X number of years.
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Saudi it's only giving visas for tefl to native speakers but I'm not sure if this is true. I should ask in the KSA forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: