Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King's College, BKK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Wahlie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: King's College, BKK Reply with quote

Hi there,
I've accepted a job at one of the 3 King's College schools in Bangkok, starting early January. I've heard from a fairly reliable source that it's a decent place to begin your teaching career, but I heard that there might be some King's staff on this forum?? If there are, show yourselves! It'd be nice to make some contact before I arrive and get some first hand info, not just about the school itself/working environment, but about current political events in Bangkok and their effect on westerners - the foreign office can only tell you so much!!

Cheers!
CW

Also, there do seem to be a fair few negative comments about Thailand on this forum Crying or Very sad so anyone who wants to talk it up, your comments are particularly welcome!
Han Solo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy
I work for King's - Love it! Which branch are you going to?
But without further ado...

Reasons why King's College Bangkok is just plain fantastic:

1. They always pay on time.
2. They arrange your work permit for you.
3. Excellent Thai managers who are caring and kind beyond the call of duty.
4. Friendly and helpful front of house staff.
5. Someone goes with you to the bank when you arrive to help you set up a bank account.
6. They set you up with acommodation when you arrive and if you don't like it, will go out of their way to help you find something you do like.
7. The other teachers are supportive, motivated individuals who often go out for a beer after work and swap ideas for lessons and games. (Tho obviously, work environment changes from branch to branch)
8. Each branch has its own ADOS, all of whom are lovely, capable and super supportive.
9. You'll rarely have more than 25 contract hours a week.
10. The pay is enough to afford you a good standard of living (salary = 3 x Thai national average)

And all they ask in return:
1. Arrive on time (and sober).
2. Look presentable.
3. Plan your lessons properly and deliver them with enthusiasm.

I can't recommend King's highly enough. It's especially great for newbies because it's so supportive both professionally and in life outside school, if you need it.

Anyway, it's nearly time for me to go and light the candles on my King's college shrine so I'll be off now... (ha ha)

Look forward to meeting you! Any other questions - let me know.
Very Happy

Last edited by Han Solo on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Han Solo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: and regarding your PS... Reply with quote

You get miserable tw@ts everywhere in the world but for some reason, Thailand does seem to attract more than her fair share of numpties who love nothing better than to sit around moaning and spreading negativity. Why, is beyond me - I love it here.

I'm not going to give you a list of good and bad - what I consider a positive might be your idea of hell (Thai country music, case in point - I think it's great... my other half thinks I should be institutionalised).

What I will say is come here with an open mind and decide for yourself. If you relax and smile and just go with the flow, you can't go wrong. And do try to stay away from the numpties!
fishboy101

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm starting at King's in just under a month. Not sure which of the 3 schools I'm going to (find out when I get there) but it's nice to read this!

Hope to meet both of you when I'm there.

All the best,

Phil
Jaime1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you apply to get into Kings College? Ajarn.com? Thanks
fishboy101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think it was Ajarn where I saw the ad but possibly TEFL.com. The web address for King's is:

www.kingsthailand.com

They have a whole section on recruitment.

Regards,

Phil
mishmish5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I am interested in working for King's College Bangkok and was wondering if anyone had any updated information on them? I've seen somewhere else that they overwork you and don't pay you that well, just wanted to get people's general opinions. Thanks! Smile
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: and regarding your PS... Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:
You get miserable tw@ts everywhere in the world but for some reason, Thailand does seem to attract more than her fair share of numpties who love nothing better than to sit around moaning and spreading negativity. Why, is beyond me - I love it here.

Some teachers are just simply poor edutainers, it's not for everyone.

The average salary of $832 US takes a little getting use to, usually you have to pay for your room.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard from a teacher working there that there are a lot of EFL teachers in their 60's and 70's teaching there...so they hire people based on ability and not age. I worked there years ago....and was earning more money than they are paying now. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: