Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three questions for anyone who does TEFL in Moscow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louisdt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Three questions for anyone who does TEFL in Moscow Reply with quote

I'm about to begin my next TEFL job, in Moscow, and I have some questions for the community.
What is a typical dress code for a male teacher?
What is the drinking water situation? What do you personally do for drinking water?
What do wish you'd known about Moscow before you arrived as a TEFL teacher?
Thanks in advance!

An update: I've been using the filter jug for a couple weeks. I haven't felt ill and the taste is manageable (but not ideal). This is the solution I'll use as long as I'm here.

Last edited by louisdt on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Smart casual
2. Vodka.
3. Where the decent clubs were. It turns out that they're all in SPB.
louisdt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply! Can you, er, elaborate on point 2? I'd like to be as prepared as I can.
alexESL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

louisdt wrote:
Thank you for your reply! Can you, er, elaborate on point 2? I'd like to be as prepared as I can.

Hello!

I was in moscow in may 2012, they told me not to drink the tap water. I drank it anyway, i was fine.

On the other hand, I once lived in a host family in cheboksary, they always bought water from a stand and brought it home in large jugs.
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Moscow tap water Reply with quote

It is very heavily chemically treated and the taste does not appeal to everyone!I used to chill it and drink it,as well as boiling it for tea etc.Drinking tap water in unfamiliar countries can affect your system anyway and cause annoying irritations such as I.B.S.so if you get this problem when you go abroad play safe and stick to bottled water.People in St.Petes always warned me NEVER to drink tap-water there or even clean my teeth with it!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was in moscow in may 2012, they told me not to drink the tap water. I drank it anyway, i was fine.

What doesn't harm you in the short-term may still do so longer-term. I agree with the bottled water suggestion.
louisdt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Someone's left behind a pitcher-type filter in my flat - should that be enough? I think I'm okay with the taste, and I've been okay gastro-intestinally, so I'm really just worried about spiral's comment.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. We've been here in Moscow for about 7 years. We used to always buy bottled water for drinking, and used tap water for brushing teeth and boiling for tea and coffee without a problem. At one time we bought a different brand of bottled water for a few weeks (it was cheaper) and we had stomach problems everyday (nothing serious, but pains). So, back to the more expensive water. For the past year we've been using a filter jug like the one you mentioned, with tap water. We change the filter every 3 months. The water tastes good (better than Australian water) and we've had no gastro problems since using the jug. Just try it, you'll soon know if it's ok or not. And if not, then switch to bottled water.
louisdt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenouille, thanks so much. I'll try the jug and report back in a few days, in case anyone else finds this thread.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those filter pitchers are pretty good so long as you maintain them properly with fresh filters regularly.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I think those filter pitchers are pretty good so long as you maintain them properly with fresh filters regularly.

Yes, definitely keep up with changing filters regularly. We mark it on the calendar and never delay changing it. We buy several filters at a time so we don't have to worry about having to go and buy one each time it's due for a change.
louisdt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: I've been using the filter jug for a couple weeks. I haven't felt ill and the taste is manageable (but not ideal). This is the solution I'll use as long as I'm here.
снеговик

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filters won't remove bacteria or viruses—you know how small those guys are?)) So basically you are just changing the water chemistry.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

louisdt wrote:

Thanks for the update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: