Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of Spain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LV83

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Thinking of Spain Reply with quote

Hello. This is my first post so please be kind with me Smile

I am thinking about Spain and have been offered 1350NET for 28 hours teaching (36 hour working week), is this a good deal for Spain? The academy told me rent for a single place will be around 450eur a month so that leaves 900eur - is that enough? It is not in Madrid or a big city but Toledo.

Also, how fun is living in central Spain away from the coast.

Thanks in advance.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer seems roughly within the standard for the region, but it does sound like you are being hired from abroad, which is not that common.

Do you have the requisite UK/EU passport?
LV83

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - am a Brit Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Toledo Reply with quote

1350 Euros net sounds good, and you can earn extra money by giving private classes.

Life in Spain is what you make of it. You'll find lots of information on the various ex-pat forums on the internet.

A note of caution: if the school asks you to send money to pay an "administration fee" or other charge, it will be a scam.
LV83

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - 1350net is for 28 hrs of lessons a week so I doubt I wanna take on privates, too. I have been told I will have FCE and CAE classes (mostly) any advice on those as they are new to me.

Thanks
johncoan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty full week, hours wise, but 1350 net is good for Spain (just for comparison: a mate of mine just started working full-time for IH in Tarragona and he's on 1150). 900 euros left after paying rent is CERTAINLY enough!

I might come back to this but very generally speaking, with FCE and CAE classes don't be afraid to follow the coursebook fairly closely. They need the practice, even if it sometimes appears 'dry'. Lots of homework, too. And familiarise yourself with the exam format - they'll certainly be asking you about that!

Having said that, if they're not taking the exam until next June (which I guess is quite likely), then you can afford to be a bit more relaxed for the first semester.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary seems standard but the teaching hours seem just a little on the heavy side, but maybe that’s just me. Toledo is a nice city, would be a very nice place to live I imagine. As I have posted before, teachers new to Spain should look beyond Madrid and Barcelona, there are lots of great places to live and work. Also don’t rule out sharing a flat with other people: you save a lot more, can get to know locals and it’s good for your Spanish.

As for FCE and CAE, prepare as much as you can and do the exams to get a feel for them. These will be exam prep classes and everything should centre around this. There are actually a number of exam dates throughout the year for the Cambridge exams, so students might just be enrolling for a month or two before taking the exam.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that LV83 has joined after Elliot Spencer was exposed. Also seems to have the same writing style and the same tendency to send private messages asking all about you.
johncoan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
Interesting that LV83 has joined after Elliot Spencer was exposed. Also seems to have the same writing style and the same tendency to send private messages asking all about you.

And start two consecutive threads asking the same thing.

Still, if people reply...
johncoan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREE threads - I've just realised.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was just a coincidence but then I got the usual private message...
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for the heads-up.
LV83

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - I don't follow. I sent a pm as to not go off of topic. :-/
LV83

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:

Will ask the question here then. I don't have much experience in Spain so am not sure the city will be full of life still after 9pm like it would be in one of Spain's main cities! Are you still in Spain?

I really don't see anything wrong with this message. You commented that you didn't mind finishing late as the city was still alive and I just wanted to know what kind of city you were at. Some people might not like to answer this typenof question publicly hence me writing a PM. Seriously what is wrong with that?

You guys make this place so hositle to a newbie wanting info...
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LV83 wrote:
Nicky_McG wrote:

Will ask the question here then. I don't have much experience in Spain so am not sure the city will be full of life still after 9pm like it would be in one of Spain's main cities! Are you still in Spain?

I really don't see anything wrong with this message. You commented that you didn't mind finishing late as the city was still alive and I just wanted to know what kind of city you were at. Some people might not like to answer this typenof question publicly hence me writing a PM. Seriously what is wrong with that?

You guys make this place so hositle to a newbie wanting info...

If you were really a new poster, surely your first question would be, 'Who's Elliot Spencer'?

What kind of loser gets his kicks time-wasting on an ESL forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: