Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it really this bad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssuprnova

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Is it really this bad? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've arrived in Spain and have been looking for a job over the past couple of weeks. After years in Asia, it's a bit discouraging to say the least... Got one offer so far, which translates to about 10E/hour net, and that's not including any of the extra meetings, etc. To top it off, the school said they can only offer me a single-digit number of hours for the first couple of weeks, as most courses won't start till October.

So, two questions:
1) What's the going rate? I'm on the Costa Blanca coast, largish city.
2) Do most contracts run from October till end of May?

I do have a standing offer to go back to my old job in Asia, which would pay roughly double net, with zero extra hours expected outside of class time. I would rather not, as I'm pretty burnt out, but at the same time there's a part of me that refuses to take the paycut for the mere privilege of working in Spain.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't want to offend you, but it doesn't sound like you've done so much research before going.

You're not really in the right area to get the best work. Larger cities like Madrid and Barcelona tend to have much more work (in-company is the way to go to make more money). I'd tend to avoid the coast as there tends to be lots of Brits already there and it's a popular choice because of the Med. Having said that, it's still relatively early for contracts to start (in Madrid you can get work to the end of June and sometimes through July). I'd head up to Madrid or Barcelona if I were you (I know for a fact that there's lots of work in Madrid)
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: re: seconded... Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd head up to Madrid or Barcelona if I were you (I know for a fact that there's lots of work in Madrid)

You know your onions Micky, no flies on you is there! Work on the Costas will be either lower paid, or in the hands of a already well established and in the know local (mostly brit) expat population, basically you will be competing against the likes of qualified teachers from the UK, and retired headmasters and so on. In Madrid, more in company work, but no beaches (lots of madrilenos love to head to the beach/sea in summer, own second homes there) thus not as popular with many expats who want the sun and sand and sangria, so it seems thats where most younger teflers/ those teflers desperately seeking work head to. If it was me, I'd return to Asia, there is not much work in general in Spain, and TEFL seems very slim pickings, very slim indeed.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: re: seconded... Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:
I'd head up to Madrid or Barcelona if I were you (I know for a fact that there's lots of work in Madrid)

You know your onions Micky, no flies on you is there! Work on the Costas will be either lower paid, or in the hands of a already well established and in the know local (mostly brit) expat population, basically you will be competing against the likes of qualified teachers from the UK, and retired headmasters and so on. In Madrid, more in company work, but no beaches (lots of madrilenos love to head to the beach/sea in summer, own second homes there) thus not as popular with many expats who want the sun and sand and sangria, so it seems thats where most younger teflers/ those teflers desperately seeking work head to. If it was me, I'd return to Asia, there is not much work in general in Spain, and TEFL seems very slim pickings, very slim indeed.

It's really not. Classes are just beginning to start now. It's no surprise that you didn't get much response in August. Anyone thinking of leaving Madrid (or even Spain) should hang on in there for another two or three weeks.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: re: nothing, nada, zip Reply with quote

Quote:
It's no surprise that you didn't get much response in August.

I can only assume my far and mid eastern teaching experience has gone against me. They must prefer locals or long term brits/yanks....can't figure it out myself, oh well. Thanks for reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: