Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A question about health insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: A question about health insurance Reply with quote

So I went to a public hospital to get some x-rays, and they told me that I didn't have health insurance or didn't have a record of it, though I work for a public university and was paying for it. I was livid. I ended up paying out-of-pocket, and then having someone contact the SGK and make sure I was activated.
Is the activation normally supposed to be automatic when you start working at a university, or do you have to get it activated before it happens. The HR fellow claimed it should have been automatic, but maybe SGK made a mistake, but another co-worker said he once went to the SGK to have his insurance activated when he was at another job, so he's in the system.
nichtta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about that, and I hope you're feeling better.

In my last school I was told it would take six months to activate. I asked why and was never given a logical response.

You might want to call or take a trip down to SGK's headquarters, which I believe is right next to or very close to the İstanbul Belediyesi in Fatih. Maybe you need to manually activate it? I'm not really sure.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichtta wrote:

In my last school I was told it would take six months to activate. I asked why and was never given a logical response.

You might want to call or take a trip down to SGK's headquarters, which I believe is right next to or very close to the İstanbul Belediyesi in Fatih. Maybe you need to manually activate it? I'm not really sure.

When I used to live in South Korea, and I'd incredulously question the behavior and logic of some of the Koreans, my head-teacher from Missouri would say "There, you're using logic". Multiply that by at least a factor of two over here. Things are a major mess here, and more people don't really care about doing their jobs properly.

From what I'm guessing, you have to activate your health insurance after you get your Iqamet as a foreigner, but the HR head didn't bother inquiring.
In the end, a phone call was made to SGK by someone with government connections to get my insurance activated. I went to the SGK to double check, and it was activated, but they had no idea which date it was activated. It certainly wasn't the previous week. Anyway, the HR head tried to save face by saying it should have been automatically activated. I didn't say much. I knew he was full of it, but I thought it was pointless. It was enough that I previously got an apology due to what happened, and a secretary helped me apply for a refund. I'm glad I'm getting the refund, but, as we say, time's money. I don't like anyone wasting my time, y'know?

Glad that's over with now.
johnjengizholden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nichtta wrote:

I experienced the same problem. You have to physically go to your SGK office and activate it. I have beeenn working here for 4 years and only found our when I went to the hospital.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: