Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go ,in Asia, as a non native passport holder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Where to go ,in Asia, as a non native passport holder Reply with quote

Hello!I´m a ESL teacher from Brazil.One of my greatest dreams is to travel around the world and teach English.But,although I have a "TEFL Post-Grad" certificate,High TOEFL Score and "TESL Canada" certified ,I´m not a native English speaker.And it seems that,for most countries,that counts much more than my studies,experiences and knowledge.
I would like to know:
Which country I would be more accepted and welcome as a TEFL teacher?
Where can I make enough money to support myself without relying on other resources (parents)?
Where´s the safest place to go,as a woman traveling alone?
Where´s the best party and dating scene (still single)?

I will ask this same question in other topics.
Thanks,in advance,for your help
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go ,in Asia, as a non native passport holder Reply with quote

Do you have a bachelor's degree? If so, what's your major?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Where to go ,in Asia, as a non native passport holder Reply with quote

LeSylphe wrote:
Hello!I´m a ESL teacher from Brazil.One of my greatest dreams is to travel around the world and teach English.But,although I have a "TEFL Post-Grad" certificate,High TOEFL Score and "TESL Canada" certified ,I´m not a native English speaker.And it seems that,for most countries,that counts much more than my studies,experiences and knowledge.
I would like to know:
Which country I would be more accepted and welcome as a TEFL teacher?
Where can I make enough money to support myself without relying on other resources (parents)?
Where´s the safest place to go,as a woman traveling alone?
Where´s the best party and dating scene (still single)?

I will ask this same question in other topics.
Thanks,in advance,for your help

IF you have a bachelor degree to go with your other credentials then Thailand, Vietnam, China, Laos and Cambodia are available for legal work and they do hire non-native speakers of English. You'll need to be here to find work. You will NOT be hired while you are out of the country.

If you do not have a degree then you can scratch SE Asia off of your list for legal work. You won't be able to get a visa to work as a teacher.

LeSylphe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a degree in Social Communications from a Brazilian University.
What do you mean they won´t hire me while I´m out? Do I have to go there and try?
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For China,Thailand and Vietnam are my options better in the big cities or the countryside?As I don´t know how to drive,I would prever a city with a good walkability rate and good public transportation system.
Would contacting a recruiter help me or will it be better to go to those countries and trying to get a job from there?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeSylphe wrote:
I have a degree in Social Communications from a Brazilian University.
What do you mean they won´t hire me while I´m out? Do I have to go there and try?

You read it right. You have to be in country to apply for jobs in person. Employers in the region generally don't recruit teachers from overseas.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For China you will need to use a recruiter and probably obtain your "Z" visa in your home country. You will also need to be able to fund your flight - flight allowances are typically an "end of contract" payment.

For the remainder of SE Asia you will need to be there in person to apply. Yes, that means funding your own flight in and having enough funds to live on until you start work and get your first pay. A recruiter won't help if you are NNES. They have lots of Filipino teachers to choose from who are already in the region/country.

hdeth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China is a possibility. I have had co-workers from South America before. You would apply from your home country.

China is not renowned for its party scene. Dating can be difficult for foreign women. If you are pretty forward and fine dating Chinese guys it would be OK. If you are the type of girl who waits for the guy to make the first move...good luck...
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which recruiters,in China,would be able to help me out,as a non native?Which are the best and safest?
The thing is,I'm in to asian guys 😊
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeSylphe wrote:
Which recruiters,in China,would be able to help me out,as a non native?Which are the best and safest?

Best asked on the China forum: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=9
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you :*
hdeth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeSylphe wrote:

Japanese guys and Chinese guys are going to be quite different, as are the ways in which they go about dating. Don't lump Asia into one basket.

Dating in China is extremely different from what you're probably used to. Especially as a foreign girl the chances of you being asked out are probably about zero. I say this not to dissuade you from coming but you've really got to be open to the idea of asking guys out and also probably internet dating, and some girls are not open to either. I have one co-worker who's a beauty and hasn't had a date in years because she won't ask guys out and doesn't like internet dating. Also most guys are looking for "future wives" more than girlfriends which makes things different in many ways.

Anyways, hopefully you've done your homework and this is no surprise to you. If partying and dating are high on your list China just seems an odd choice, especially for a girl.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL dating in China...lots of fish in the sea! Very Happy
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdeth wrote:
LeSylphe wrote:

Japanese guys and Chinese guys are going to be quite different, as are the ways in which they go about dating. Don't lump Asia into one basket.

Dating in China is extremely different from what you're probably used to. Especially as a foreign girl the chances of you being asked out are probably about zero. I say this not to dissuade you from coming but you've really got to be open to the idea of asking guys out and also probably internet dating, and some girls are not open to either. I have one co-worker who's a beauty and hasn't had a date in years because she won't ask guys out and doesn't like internet dating. Also most guys are looking for "future wives" more than girlfriends which makes things different in many ways.

Anyways, hopefully you've done your homework and this is no surprise to you. If partying and dating are high on your list China just seems an odd choice, especially for a girl.

Internet dating was never a problem for me.Most of the time,when I´m interested on a guy,I always ask him out.
LeSylphe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say party,I actually mean going out by myself at night.I really enjoy karaoke rooms,having tea and meeting new people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: