Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed for prospective newbie with no degree
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M4347

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Advice needed for prospective newbie with no degree Reply with quote

Hello,

I am thinking of going down the route of teaching English abroad for at least 2-5 years, but before I start I was hoping I could get some advice from people on here on weather it's worth doing/possible to do in my situation.

I was looking at taking a TEFL internship package with I-to-I or lovetefl, these range from 2-6 month internships and include the 120hour TEFL course and obviously actual classroom experience. As much as I would like to do the 6 month option, I would probably have to do just a 2 month course due to the costs and the fact I still have financial commitments to keep up each month. (The 6 month includes a living allowance, but I still have credit card bills monthly to pay back, so it wouldn't be viable).

I am fairly certain an internship like these would be the best way for me to start out, but my big concern is if I would actually be able to obtain reasonable work anywhere after doing so. From what I have read most new teachers go to China/Far East as it's easier to get entry positions out there, but this option would not be available to me due to the fact I don't have a degree. (I know there's a grey area without, but I'd rather stay official). A shame as Korea, HK, Thailand and Japan are places I would love to have gone to.

So that leaves me with Europe as I'm a UK passport holder I believe I can work in most of Europe quite easily. From what I understand Russia and the Czech Republic are the best options to offer a similar package to countries in the Far East (accommodation and reasonable income in comparison to living costs), but are these places I'm likely to be able to get a job with just a TEFL 120 hour and 2 months experience? I've heard Spain and Italy could be options for starting out, but the job posts I see are normally not very long hours and with the pay doesn't seem to even cover local living costs.

Could really use some guidance on the best route for a non degree, non experience newbie like me is to take. Or if it's even worth me shelling out for the £850ish internship and covering 2 months of no pay to find that I can't get work after it.

Really would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks
Matt
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid wimpy TEFL certs from i-to-i, lovetefl, etc. Since you don't have a degree, get a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. Otherwise, you'll find it hard to compete for positions against those job seekers who have a CELTA or Trinity and a degree.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So that leaves me with Europe as I'm a UK passport holder I believe I can work in most of Europe quite easily. From what I understand Russia and the Czech Republic are the best options to offer a similar package to countries in the Far East (accommodation and reasonable income in comparison to living costs), but are these places I'm likely to be able to get a job with just a TEFL 120 hour and 2 months experience? I've heard Spain and Italy could be options for starting out, but the job posts I see are normally not very long hours and with the pay doesn't seem to even cover local living costs.

For the European job market you need a CELTA or equivalent course (120 hours on site with - key - supervised teaching practice with real students). I do NOT recommend investing in I-to-I or lovetefl - these are not considered serious qualifications. Most entry level newbies on the European job market have a CELTA or equivalent and stuff like lovetefl or I-to-I don't make you stand out in any positive way.

Take a CELTA in the country where you want to start teaching. Jobs on this market are not usually found from abroad anyway - you need to be there to interview in person. Taking the course in-country gives you useful experience with students who are really representative of those you'll be working with when you start. A good training center can give you invaluable leads to reputable local schools.
Keep in mind hiring periods - September and (much smaller) January. Hitting the job market any other time puts you at a serious disadvantage.

Lack of a degree won't kill you on this job market, but keep in mind that most newbies here do have one. You'll need to be as professional, responsible, and reliable as possible to overcome the gap.

You'll also obviously need some financial cushion; there are start up costs.
M4347

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Avoid wimpy TEFL certs from i-to-i, lovetefl, etc. Since you don't have a degree, get a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. Otherwise, you'll find it hard to compete for positions against those job seekers who have a CELTA or Trinity and a degree.

Thanks for that information this is really what I needed. My big concern was investing money into doing those courses and internships through such companies only to find out it would not be beneficial later on. I will look more into the CELTA or Trinity TESOL then. Off the top of your head do you know what sort of costing these come out at in comparison to TEFL internships (I'm assuming a lot more)?

Thanks,
Matt
Quote:
M4347

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

For the European job market you need a CELTA or equivalent course (120 hours on site with - key - supervised teaching practice with real students). I do NOT recommend investing in I-to-I or lovetefl - these are not considered serious qualifications. Most entry level newbies on the European job market have a CELTA or equivalent and stuff like lovetefl or I-to-I don't make you stand out in any positive way.

Take a CELTA in the country where you want to start teaching. Jobs on this market are not usually found from abroad anyway - you need to be there to interview in person. Taking the course in-country gives you useful experience with students who are really representative of those you'll be working with when you start. A good training center can give you invaluable leads to reputable local schools.
Keep in mind hiring periods - September and (much smaller) January. Hitting the job market any other time puts you at a serious disadvantage.

Lack of a degree won't kill you on this job market, but keep in mind that most newbies here do have one. You'll need to be as professional, responsible, and reliable as possible to overcome the gap.

You'll also obviously need some financial cushion; there are start up costs.

Thanks for this information it's really useful and good to know. I was worried about investing money with I-to-I or lovetefl only to find out they weren't worth anything in the long run.

I will look into CELTA options then, I assume these are generally going to be quite a bit more costly initially to do for the course fees than a TEFL internship?

I am aware that initially I will have some start up costs to cover when it comes to it, hopefully I should have something saved by the time this comes around.

Thanks
Matt
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The courses are more than your internship costs quoted above, but not massively - I think most are under 1800 EU. And they aren't getting free work out of you;-). Google TEFL courses in Prague, for example- there is a CELTA provider and some good generics also on offer there.

BTW, I don't think that most newbie level jobs in the Czech Rep offer accommodation, though they'll usually help you find something.
M4347

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The courses are more than your internship costs quoted above, but not massively - I think most are under 1800 EU. And they aren't getting free work out of you;-). Google TEFL courses in Prague, for example- there is a CELTA provider and some good generics also on offer there.

BTW, I don't think that most newbie level jobs in the Czech Rep offer accommodation, though they'll usually help you find something.

Thanks I've found some sites, looking around £950-1000 + around £280 for accommodation during the course, which is a good package I think. Will save a little first then look at maybe doing one at the start of next year. I'm aware I'll probably miss the January recruitment window so may have to get something until the next recruiting window later in the year.

I may be wrong about the accommodation packages then, still I'm sure I could sort something out if it came to it.

Thanks again.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal to take a course in August and then job search early September. You really maximize your chances of success with this timing. Best of luck to you!
Shelby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia may be an option as a degree is not a requirement for the visa (although some employers may require it). The vast majority of schools will provide accommodation and reimburse flight and visa costs and they hire from abroad which reduces start-up costs considerably.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend putting the effort to get a degree. An Education degree might be a good idea. As far as teaching in Asia, even prospective teachers with degrees are starting to be treated like a dime a dozen. I wouldn't recommend anybody go into education overseas unless you have the credentials and experience to teach in a real International School. As I've mentioned before many areas are overrun by people from the UK on the dole looking for an extended vacation in the tropics or other interesting areas while at the same time adding a small amount of extra money to their money they receive from the government. This makes it harder to teach overseas.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a degree. Then start thinking about teaching.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
As I've mentioned before many areas are overrun by people from the UK on the dole looking for an extended vacation in the tropics or other interesting areas while at the same time adding a small amount of extra money to their money they receive from the government.

How can they afford an extended vacation if they're on the dole, and how do they receive JSA or whatever from the British government if they're overseas and unable to regularly sign on at jobcentres?
General Disarray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha that reminds me of a story a mate here in Hungary told me.. Hes been here for just over 22 years now (not as an English teacher at all). About 17 years ago hr had a friend who worked at Malev airlines so he could get discounted tickets.

Use to fly back to England twice a month to pick the dole money, then back to Hungary where the £££ was worth a lot.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
I would recommend putting the effort to get a degree. An Education degree might be a good idea. As far as teaching in Asia, even prospective teachers with degrees are starting to be treated like a dime a dozen. I wouldn't recommend anybody go into education overseas unless you have the credentials and experience to teach in a real International School. As I've mentioned before many areas are overrun by people from the UK on the dole looking for an extended vacation in the tropics or other interesting areas while at the same time adding a small amount of extra money to their money they receive from the government. This makes it harder to teach overseas.

It would be ideal to have an education degree and work "in a real International School" but life is not so simple. You're still able to get paid work in China if you're anglo-looking and have a pulse, it is a vast market and there will be some parts which are under-supplied.
ManOfTwoLands

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Get a degree. Then start thinking about teaching.

Why would anyone get a degree to work in TEFL? Makes about as much sense as a degree to work in the fast food industry. Only difference is that McDonald's probably pays better than most TEFL schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: