Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing jobs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Changing jobs Reply with quote

What's the process in terms of changing jobs? I have a job, but I'm not sure about it long-term. It has various problems.
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 3 years in Istanbul and 3 different schools you will soon realise they are all kind of the same and all have problems. Teaching in private K-12s here isnt that easy and schools find it hard to keep teachers hence why the pay is good and benefits are great, too!
nichtta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Changing jobs Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
What's the process in terms of changing jobs? I have a job, but I'm not sure about it long-term. It has various problems.

I only heard of one potential employer mention transferring a work permit, but I have asked and researched a lot about this process and haven't found any concrete answers, which has left me suspect about such a procedure's existence.

1) Letter of Resignation
After, of course, making sure you have another job lined up and speaking with your potential employer about your options, you would send an official letter of resignation to the appropriate person at your school. Note that some private school contracts specify a certain number of weeks in advance this must be done, e.g., two-week notice if within the first six months.

If work permit = residence permit

2) Leave country, come back on tourist visa, switch to residence permit valid for at least six months, then have your next job apply for your new work permit, which should take a month to process
Your work permit is probably your residence permit if you came to Turkey on a work visa, which means both would be canceled, and you would likely have to start the process all over again. You may have to leave to the country and enter on a 90-day tourist visa, apply for a tourist residence permit, but there could be another way around it. These are just my thoughts based on my experience with the system thus far. Yes, it sounds backwards and poorly thought-out, but that's just how it is here, i.e., your legal residence is connected directly to your employment contract, so be patient and be prepared for lots of running from one government agency to the other and lots of other mindless errands. However, can it be done? Absolutely! Set your mind to it, ask potential employers that might even have connections to make things easier, and do share your experiences if you end up going through with it to benefit others here in Turkey. Maybe that might make your employer think twice about their work conditions, but I'm afraid it's not that likely.

If work permit added on after initially getting a touristic residence permit

2) Easier process of canceling present work permit then adding on a different one if at least six months are left on your residence permit
Again, totally going on assumptions here, but I think it should be easier in this case. Your work permit is canceled, but your residence permit remains since it went through a separate process. You would need to find a new job and have them apply for a new work permit, granted you still have six months remaining on your residence permit. The process should take about a month.

If you're willing to work illegally, which I don't recommend for more than one reason, then all you need is the touristic residence permit and then you're set.

elliot_spencer wrote:
After 3 years in Istanbul and 3 different schools you will soon realise they are all kind of the same and all have problems. Teaching in private K-12s here isnt that easy and schools find it hard to keep teachers hence why the pay is good and benefits are great, too!

Unfortunately, I have to agree here. Well, maybe it depends on the actual problems. You could have a crazy director that is constantly breathing down your neck and trying to micromanage everything you do vs. a totally laid back director that won't do anything about anything at all out of pure laziness and lack of concern. These differences can be found here, but if it's something like miscommunication, employers trying to suck the life out of you by piling on as much work as possible, lack of organization, poor planning, last-minute decisions, coming up with grand ideas and lofty goals that are impractical, or something of the like then you'll probably find that pretty much everywhere here.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue is that we were allowed to have one afternoon off to ourselves. Now, we're forced to come in early and leave late. And this communication was sent in e-mail in Turkish, not in English. The boss is becoming a control freak; I'm not happy about it, and I don't like that I was told I could leave early on Thursdays, and supposedly I can't based on an e-mail that was sent in Turkish. I assume this applies to the foreign staff as well as the Turkish staff, but we were given an e-mail in English. So it's not simply tons of disorganization, which is some of the worst I've seen, but this controlling type behavior. I'm not too happy about it. I do have credentials. I have an M.A. and a teaching certificate. I wanted to know how easy it would be to switch jobs after the term's over. I wouldn't resign, obviously, unless I had something lined up. I do like the students, my colleagues. I have some American friends at another university. They don't seem to have so many complaints about their job.
nichtta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
My issue is that we were allowed to have one afternoon off to ourselves. Now, we're forced to come in early and leave late. And this communication was sent in e-mail in Turkish, not in English. The boss is becoming a control freak; I'm not happy about it, and I don't like that I was told I could leave early on Thursdays, and supposedly I can't based on an e-mail that was sent in Turkish. I assume this applies to the foreign staff as well as the Turkish staff, but we were given an e-mail in English. So it's not simply tons of disorganization, which is some of the worst I've seen, but this controlling type behavior. I'm not too happy about it. I do have credentials. I have an M.A. and a teaching certificate. I wanted to know how easy it would be to switch jobs after the term's over. I wouldn't resign, obviously, unless I had something lined up. I do like the students, my colleagues. I have some American friends at another university. They don't seem to have so many complaints about their job.

I'm so sorry to hear that. One of the biggest perks of working at a public university is supposed to be not being forced to stay on campus when you're not teaching. All banks and government offices are only open Monday through Friday from 8:30/9:00 to 4:30/5:00, so they're basically making it impossible for you to run errands and do your regular business unless you ask for permission to leave campus, which I find really degrading. You should have a half-day off at the very, very least (even at private institutions), and a full-day off is a reasonable request here, and I mean even for Turks and not just foreigners. In fact, it's pretty standard in many places I've seen because you need it to function.

I have some friends, who would sneak out to do their business or just leave early and no one would notice. If you feel daring, that's an option. Better yet, I would firmly yet politely challenge this, especially if it's something you previously agreed to, because sometimes that's just the attitude you need here to be heard and not squashed like a bug.

Unfortunately, the personality you describe can be found in many places here. I personally think it's because of the culture, but that doesn't mean that there aren't many exceptions or a way to "manage your director." Don't put up with a bad work situation unless you're really desperate. I think you may be able to find other opportunities, especially if a university suddenly loses an employee, which does happen. Just beware that it might be a sign for you to stay away from that institution.

I would start searching from now and make it clear to others that you're doing so. Maybe the potential employer could shed some light on your options. I'm praying your situation improves!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: