Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving licence rules for expats to be reviewed in Oman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Driving licence rules for expats to be reviewed in Oman Reply with quote

http://www.timesofoman.com/article/69851/Oman/Transport/Oman-plans-new-rules-for-expatriates-seeking-driving-licence

Any thoughts? Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Vroom! Vroom! Reply with quote

In my nine years in Oman I never felt the urge to get behind the wheel. This was due largely to the kamikaze style of many Omani drivers. It always tickled me when Omanis blamed Indians for causing road accidents.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vroom! Vroom! Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
It always tickled me when Omanis blamed Indians for causing road accidents.

Yep. I've driven motorbikes throughout India, Nepal and Sri Lanka and never had a drama. However, I wouldn't fancy driving a motorbike on the highways here and that's not because of the migrant workers from South Asia.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vroom! Vroom! Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
In my nine years in Oman I never felt the urge to get behind the wheel. This was due largely to the kamikaze style of many Omani drivers. It always tickled me when Omanis blamed Indians for causing road accidents.

And the Omanis are the safest of the Gulf drivers... scary as that thought is. But they all blame the problems on the expats... seems to be a tradition.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After discussing this with some Omani coworkers, their consensus is this targeted towards sub-continentals.

The rules for Western expats will continue as they are...
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
After discussing this with some Omani coworkers, their consensus is this targeted towards sub-continentals.

The rules for Western expats will continue as they are...

Geez, I can't help but feel sorry for those guys and that would explain why some in the article were trying to make a link between the amount of salary and driving. Just by the by, when I was in the UAE a couple of months ago, all the taxis I caught had drivers from the sub-continent and, without exception, they were all fine. I certainly had better experiences with them than the Omani taxis I've caught here.

Anyway, if they are not going to recognize drivers' licenses from South Asia then I at least hope they will give the affected migrants a chance to sit the same test as the locals and get an Omani license that way. God knows, the practical can't be that hard Rolling Eyes. Not sure how it would work if the theory component is in written Arabic though, but, there would be ways around that. However. arguably, if they did do this then that would defeat the whole supposed purpose of the proposed changes; namely, to get cars off the road Confused.

I must say that the traffic I've experienced in Muscat has been pretty bad and Salalah has its moments as well. I've heard quite a bit of talk about introducing rail and, whilst I know there are mini van taxis around, I can't personally see what would be wrong with starting up some local bus routes. I can think of quite a few people I know who would use them if they were available.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used my international drivers license whilst driving and renting a car in Oh Man....and Oh Man it has been quite an adventure.....Muscrat traffic is the worst...especially in the Ruwi area.but in Sohar it is doable and I enjoy it! Shocked
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.timesofoman.com/article/70033/Oman/Transport/Expatriates-whose-driving-licences-can't-be-exchanged-for-Omani-licences-have-to-undergo-a-drum-and-slope-test
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is a "drum and slope" test?

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious, too.

http://learningland.org/life-in-oman.php?pid=56

http://learningland.org/life-in-oman.php?pid=61

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know what they are... or why? LOL

Is this something the Omanis invented just to have a reason to fail those that they wish to fail?

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I still don't know what they are... or why? LOL

The 'slope test' is arguably useful for testing a driver's ability to do a controlled hill start. We had [and probably still have] something very similar in the driving test I did many, many moons ago back in Australia. I can't say that I've done anything like the 'drum test' though, but, my motorbike exam in Vietnam did involve riding around some witches hats for ninety seconds. That was pretty much the entire test Rolling Eyes.
parched

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expats are allowed to take driving lessons and the required tests in English. Many of my colleagues from India have learned to drive and earned their licenses here. Apparently the road test is difficult:

http://omandrivinglicense.blogspot.com/2013/10/blog-post.html?m=1
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post and link parched, that's interesting. I have an expat friend who got her driver's license here recently (she didn't have one before). I might ask her a bit more about it when I next see her and hear what her thoughts on the driving test were.......
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 90+% of cars in the US have an automatic transmission, wouldn't need that test. I just read the last link and find its process totally bizarre. One shouldn't be using the parking brake if you are at a light on a hill. I drove a manual for many years and that is just silly. It just gives you something extra to do that gives them an easy way to fail you.

Back when I took my first test, they required that you parallel park between two cars on the street - both on the flat... and on a hill... and they decided whether you had to be parking uphill or downhill. Even back in those prehistoric times, I had an automatic. I'd only been driving for 4 days and I passed it with those big old American cars. LOL

Just skimming I couldn't quite figure out what they had to do with those barrels in the first link. Presumably NOT run into them while doing whatever the tester says. The last link shows that it is basically just showing that they can back into a parking space... easy stuff.

Most people that I talked to took a few tries to pass the exam in Oman.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: