Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potential Law Suit Against McGill University
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neftoprestupnik

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Potential Law Suit Against McGill University Reply with quote

http://www.mcgilllawsuits.com/

I mentioned before that I was a part of the McGill University program in Jubail two years ago. Many people have already posted in this forum about their experiences with McGill, mostly negative, and now it seems that one of our former colleagues has taken up the banner and will attempt to sue the university for damages.

It's not clear yet as to how it will play out. I've spoken to several teachers who were on the program and most of them are not sure if they will take part in the suing, but at the very least it will be fun to sit back and pick at the dead corpse of the McGill-RCJY program for a little bit longer.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGill is correct in this situation: That aggrieved teacher was issued a "government visit" visa (as stated in Arabic on his visa) for "the Royal Commission for Jubail." (Someone double-check my Arabic ; I'm a bit rusty.) In other words, McGill hired teachers to work in Jubail on behalf of the Saudi government. Plus, the Saudi government is the sponsor for this visa type.

That said, the Saudi labor law wouldn't apply to his situation because his "contract for services" (not employment) clearly indicates McGill in Quebec, and not a Saudi entity, as contracting directly with him. Case in point, his salary was paid out in Canadian dollars to his home bank, and he was likely taxed on those earnings too. It's business as usual except that his work site was in KSA for a duration of 9 months. (This is similar to biz/work visit visa conditions in which the worker is employed/contracted by a company or organization in his/her country and essentially gets sent to KSA to do business, fix widgets, conduct training on the widgets, etc., for a Saudi company.) Moreover, 7.6, Governing law of the contract states: "This Contract shall be governed by the laws of Quebec and Canadian laws applicable therein." He can't include the laws of a third party; it's irrelevant.

It is what it is. This is why folks need to be mindful of who their employer actually is. Plus, they need to thoroughly review their contract.
hash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER: The below comments are simply my disinterested opinions. I am not a lawyer nor a member of a legal profession in KSA, USA or Canada and am not rendering "legal advice". I'm simply commenting as a layman.
==============

This case is clearly “actionable”. McGill (henceforth “M”) was in violation not only of KSA law but also of Canadian law. It obviously tried to circumvent both in its favor and contra the teacher contractors’ (henceforth “T”) benefit.

1. The distinction between “services” and “employment” is a false one, at least in this instance They both mean “work” and in this case, specifically, "teach". Even though T was working for McGill (and not for a KSA entity), it is manifest that the work (whatever its exact wording) was going to take place in KSA. Both parties were completely aware of this – No one was surprised when T boarded a plane headed for KSA.

2. Despite what is stated in the contract, T was an employee of McGill (even if it was to be only for 9 months). T was not an “independent contractor” because the terms and conditions as stipulated in the contract for the services T was to “provide” in KSA put McGill and T in an employer-employee relationship.

T was told where to work, when to work, where to reside, what to do, what bank to use, what materials to use and so on. In fact, the only “independence” afforded T was his ability to resign.

This job description clearly precludes any realistic interpretation of T’s job designation as an “independent contractor”. In fact, it is the complete opposite of that.

3. There is no indication – not even a whisper – in T’s contract that he would be working “illegally” in KSA. It is totally unrealistic to expect a Canadian citizen (or any citizen) unfamiliar with KSA legalities to be aware that this illegality even exists or is possible, so to speak, until it is too late – until, in this case, T was in Bahrain and obtained his “Visa” which plainly states that he is not allowed to work in KSA. As far as T was aware, this was the "usual and customary" way to get a work visa for KSA. Why would he suspect anything different? Why would anyone? Clearly, McGill was taking advantage of his "innocence" in these esoteric facts. Is one supposed to hire a lawyer every time one obtains a new job to determine if the job is "legal"? (What a surprise that must have been for T when he read that little phrase clearly printed on his visa, raising, no doubt all kinds of doubts and questions). (His visa clearly indicates (in Arabic) that it was issued in MANAMA (the capital of Bahrain).

4. I don’t see how any disinterested party (such as myself) cannot but conclude that McGill was at fault here. Clearly, it must have known that T and his colleagues would be working “illegally” in KSA. T and his colleagues may not have known it (how could they have? To whom would it even occur to ask whether the job offered was "legal" or not? That's like asking your wife to be if she's currently married to someone else.) but obviously McGill did.

In addition, T was also clearly an “employee” of McGill and not an independent contractor (IC). The fact that the term “independent contractor” appears in the contract, does not thereby render T’s position as an IC. One is not an IC because someone “says so”….one is an IC because the nature of his job legalizes it as such.

(The fact that KSA builds a building and calls it XXX College of Excellence makes it neither a college nor excellent simply by virtue of the fact someone "says" it is so).

5. Even though T has a case, I believe, - (I’m not an attorney) - and his lawsuits are actionable, the question remains: Was there any injury? It doesn’t seem like there was.

Apparently, T completed his contract, got paid on time, got fed, housed and so forth. So whether all this was “illegal” or not is sort of moot, seems to me. There was no injured party. McGill may get a slap on the wrist, but I don’t see how any “compensation” is due, if that’s what T is after. (Unless, of course, there's a lot of additional relevant information I'm not aware of).

(He may be owed "back pay and benefits" if it is determined that he was an employee and not an independent contractor of McGill....but that would be because his employment classification will have been changed to what it should have been originally, not because of any work he performed in KSA.)

=====================
PS...... It is precisely because of situations like this that (usually) Western employers (especially USA ones) long ago stopped having a legal presence in KSA and bringing over USA citizens to work for them in Kingdom. Someone was always suing them. Now, nearly all companies with a USA name are actually Saudi companies formed as "subsidiaries" (or something) of the original USA company - the USA company is thus shielded from such lawsuits and if you want to fight the KSA company in the KSA courts, why, Ahlan wa Sahlan. (This is one reason the original ARAMCO is now Saudi ARAMCO and in the USA it is ARAMCO Services Company. If you're an English teacher, you're working for Saudi Aramco (a KSA company), not ARAMCO Services Company (a USA company) out of Houston.......don't even dream of getting hired by Houston anymore).
gregory999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
2. Despite what is stated in the contract, T was an employee of McGill (even if it was to be only for 9 months). T was not an “independent contractor” because the terms and conditions as stipulated in the contract for the services T was to “provide” in KSA put McGill and T in an employer-employee relationship.

3. There is no indication – not even a whisper – in T’s contract that he would be working “illegally” in KSA. It is totally unrealistic to expect a Canadian citizen (or any citizen) unfamiliar with KSA legalities to be aware that this illegality even exists or is possible, so to speak, until it is too late – until, in this case, T was in Bahrain and obtained his “Visa” which plainly states that he is not allowed to work in KSA. As far as T was aware, this was the "usual and customary" way to get a work visa for KSA. Why would he suspect anything different? Why would anyone? Clearly, McGill was taking advantage of his "innocence" in these esoteric facts. Is one supposed to hire a lawyer every time one obtains a new job to determine if the job is "legal"? (What a surprise that must have been for T when he read that little phrase clearly printed on his visa, raising, no doubt all kinds of doubts and questions). (His visa clearly indicates (in Arabic) that it was issued in MANAMA (the capital of Bahrain).

Well, the law does not protect the ignorant.

According to his visa, it is clearly written in plain Arabic and English that "Duration of Stay is 60 days" and "No Permitted to Work".
How come Mr T accepted to work for 9 months with this visa, which is clearly is a "visit visa" and not a "work visit visa" or "work visa"?

The "usual and customary" way to get a work visit visa for KSA:
http://embassies.mofa.gov.sa/sites/india/EN/AboutDiplomaticMission/Consulates/ConsulatesServices/Pages/WORK-VISIT-VISA-.aspx

The "usual and customary" way to get a work visa for KSA:
http://embassies.mofa.gov.sa/sites/india/EN/AboutDiplomaticMission/Consulates/ConsulatesServices/Pages/Work-Visa.aspx
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no lawyer, but I think that any sentence that's starts out this way:

"Despite what is stated in the contract, . . . ."

is not headed in a good direction as far a legal redress is concerned.

Regards,
John
buravirgil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But...but..."Cannot but conclude," "actionable," and "HENCEFORTH"!

I'm no ibba yool of English, ybish xaeon wrevo a uyzeqwotjlkv, I can't even umuroway most of the time, but leercee lot Joe Pesci neek propii feeph Marisa Tomei-- buulooseemoomoo kizz kizz. AAiop wuum, "Bitsy-Lee is a cracked kubba on which foodee cups beat out dimple cheeks for donkey monkeys to wrinkle to, while all the spooky we long to move the stars to pity."

Or somethin'
hash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:

Well, the law does not protect the ignorant.

On the contrary: protecting the ignorant and the innocent is one of the foundational cornerstones of Anglo-American law. Just ask the ACLU. (I'm assuming Canadian law and USA law are not that different on these issues - I may be totally wrong, of course).

According to his visa, it is clearly written in plain Arabic and English that "Duration of Stay is 60 days" and "Not Permitted to Work".Wrong. Nowhere on the visa does it say - in Arabic - "Not Permitted to Work". In fact, what it does say, again in Arabic, is that the holder of the visa is a "Lecturer" and that he is visiting the Royal Comm. in Jubail. Now, what do you suppose a "Lecturer" would be doing at the Royal Comm. if not "lecturing"?. This is sort of beside the point, of course. T's language is English and the visa does inform him in English that he isn't allowed to work in KSA with that visa. (but see below).

How come Mr T accepted to work for 9 months with this visa, which is clearly is a "visit visa" and not a "work visit visa" or "work visa"?

You're projecting your experience in the area onto someone who probably never even heard of Bahrain or where it was located at the time of departure from his "home of record." By the time he was in Manama, he was already pretty much committed to the job.

What was he supposed to do at that point? Turn around and go back? Most likely, he still assumed (as most people would) that the employer knew what it was doing and talking about despite what his visa "said". After all, the employer was a reputable Canadian university, not some fly-by-night operation. I agree that "later", he should have quit if he continued to have misgivings about his legal status. (Maybe he did...He (T) doesn't say.)

johnslat wrote:

I'm no lawyer, but I think that any sentence that's starts out this way: "Despite what is stated in the contract, ..." is not headed in a good direction as far a legal redress is concerned.

This is what "Contract Law" is all about. Contracts - or portions of them - are found illegal and unenforceable all the time.

gregory999

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hash wrote:
Wrong. Nowhere on the visa does it say - in Arabic - "Not Permitted to Work". In fact, what it does say, again in Arabic, is that the holder of the visa is a "Lecturer" and that he is visiting the Royal Comm. in Jubail. Now, what do you suppose a "Lecturer" would be doing at the Royal Comm. if not "lecturing"?[/b]. This is sort of beside the point, of course. T's language is English and the visa does inform him in English that he isn't allowed to work in KSA with that visa. (but see below).

Still, the law does not protect the ignorant.
In his visa, it is clearly stated in Arabic and English that his "Duration of Stay is 60 days". It does not mean that if the holder of the visit visa is a "lecturer" , "doctor" or whatever title that by default he is going to work, unless it is stated clearly in his visa as "to work".
In his visa it is clearly stated in plain Arabic "Motive = Government visit", and this is a "visit visa" and not "work visa", there is a big difference between the two.
jackblack55

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hash; You have a sophisticated understanding of the issue which is impressive to say the least. All your comments are on point. I tip my hat to you sir!
hash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackblack55 wrote:
Hash; You have a sophisticated understanding of the issue which is impressive to say the least. All your comments are on point. I tip my hat to you sir!
Thanks for your kind words and support.
hash

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:

Still, the law does not protect the ignorant.

This statement has been repeated now about 3 times give or take. But repeating something over and over does not make it true. (See my previous comment vis a vis the designations of many colleges in KSA, especially new ones). Tracing the development of English law going back to the Magna Carta, one can easily discern that the protection of the ignorant and weak was/is precisely what English law, au fond, has been all about.

In this particular instance, it is completely unrealistic to expect Mr. T to have had any significant knowledge or understanding what his visa was really telling him. After all, not only did McGill know he was entering KSA to work......the KSA government as represented by its Embassy/Consulate in Manama which issued the visa, also knew very well Mr. T was going to work in KSA. The KSA competent authority was sanctioning his entry into KSA to work, despite "what the law says". or "what the visa said".

In his visa it is clearly stated in plain Arabic "Motive = Government visit", and this is a "visit visa" and not "work visa", there is a big difference between the two.

I'm afraid I have to again make some corrections here. First of all, the actual translation of the Arabic term you're referring to is NOT "motive". It is "purpose". Arabic uses a different word for "motive" (this is not a big issue...I'm just being precise here for the sake of clarity).

Second, the terms "visit visa" and "work visa" appear NOWHERE in the document, neither in English nor Arabic. The only place the term "visa" and its Arabic equivalent appear on the document is at the very top left.

But even if either or both of these terms were present on the document, what was Mr. T supposed to make of them? We can't project what we know onto someone who is a total newbie to this part of the world. Mr. T wasn't being "ignorant".....he was simply dealing with a totally alien document, which, as far as he could have been expected to know, legalized his entry (and work) into and in KSA. After all, the KSA govt. had just issued the document knowing full well why Mr. T was going to Jubail. They must have seen and read his contract where it stated clearly that he was going to "teach" in Jubail. If Mr T is culpable, then so are McGill and the KSA govt. They were accomplices in this charade

McGill was in the wrong here.......clearly taking advantage of Mr. T's "ignorance" of the true nature of his job in KSA. But whether there was an injury to Mr. T, and if he's due any "compensation" the "courts" will have to decide (if it ever gets that far...I doubt it will)
cyclistlongdistancerunner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: McGill will be in big trouble methinks .. Reply with quote

My gut instinct is that McGill is headed for the rocks. To argue that they are not responsible for what happens in Saudi Arabia - for their program - is pure sophistry.

They are hiring Canadian instructors for a program in a foreign country - and knowingly breaking the law of that country in so doing - if the instructor gets in trouble, they are in effect, throwing that instructor to the dogs.

I am Canadian. No Canadian judge is going to accept the argument that McGill is in no way, responsible.

Au contraire. The teachers so affected should push hard, legally speaking. I think McGill would be forced to settle. Probably out of court.
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than money, they should plead for the heads of Firas and his co-conspirator(s) on a plate. That would make even more people happy, and spread a LOT of joy and sunshine over the Eastern Province.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago there was a successful lawsuit in the US against Saudi Arabian Airlines. The Airline "forgot" to make the payment ordered by the court and as a result one of their aircraft was seized at JFK. They paid up and were after that more careful about avoiding lawsuits.

I am not sure if this Magill Saga will have a similar ending.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This popped up on one of my feeds today:

http://www.lawprose.org/lawprose-blog/

Because qualifying a post as not written by a lawyer, but aping the language of its discipline is fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: