Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DELTA 'equivalent to' an MA?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: DELTA 'equivalent to' an MA? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Has anyone had their DELTA evaluated by a NACES approved service? http://www.naces.org/ Is it considered to be equivalent to an MA here in the States?

I've applied to the English Language Fellow Program (sponsored by the Dept. of State): http://elprograms.org/fellow/ They want to verify that I have an 'MA equivalent' degree.

As I understand it, DELTA is NOT equivalent to an MA, but is accepted for a substantial amount of graduate level coursework at most UK universities.

I'd like to avoid paying a hefty ($100+) fee to a credential evaluation service only to find out that I don't meet the eligibility requirements on account of not actually having an MA equivalent degree.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the ELF program would accept the Delta as a substitute for the requisite MA degree:

Quote:
Minimum requirements:

To apply to the program, applicants must demonstrate:

• U.S. Citizenship
Graduate level degree in TESOL, applied linguistics, or a field related to English language teaching
• Applicants with a graduate level degree in an unrelated field are eligible to apply if they also have a recognized TESOL certification and 120 course hours with supervised practicum or a valid, full state teacher certificate, credential, or licensure with a specialization or an endorsement in ESL or the equivalent.
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. For my MA in Vermont I had 36 credits plus an internship abroad.
Delta is not that demanding.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Nope. For my MA in Vermont I had 36 credits plus an internship abroad.
Delta is not that demanding.
Mitsui, do you mean you had to complete 36 credits and an internship abroad, or that your DELTA counted as such?

I've never heard DELTA described as 'not that demanding' before. Most people find it quite stressful. I remember some near all-nighters at the computer trying to get a lesson plan finished before an observed lesson the next day.

DELTA does not have as much coursework as an MA, but it's more practical and hands on than a lot of the MA programs out there. Unfortunately, it's not recognized or accepted much at all here in the USA; it's all about the almighty Master's here.

I guess it's about time I did one.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DELTA does not have as much coursework as an MA, but it's more practical and hands on than a lot of the MA programs out there. Unfortunately, it's not recognized or accepted much at all here in the USA; it's all about the almighty Master's here.

There's a reason why the Delta isn't widely known in the US. Unlike MA TESOLs in the UK, there are quite a few US programs that include a teaching practice component usually along with a comprehensive teaching portfolio (my MAT, for example). Do an Internet search using: MA TESOL program practicum and you'll see link after link of American programs indicating a practicum.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not do the DELTA. I have a MA and had to do observations at Vermont schools. My internship was in Morocco.
36 credits means 12 classes.
DELTA is not as demanding.

I was in a sink-or-swim environment, when you learn to teach abroad.

MA programs vary. Mine had a focus on teaching and was practical.
No thesis was required, but some students did do it.
Some programs focus on research, as some students want to get a doctorate.
mitsui

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a teacher in that program right now in Chengdu, China.
Guess what? He has a MA.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:

As I understand it, DELTA is NOT equivalent to an MA, but is accepted for a substantial amount of graduate level coursework at most UK universities.

I'd like to avoid paying a hefty ($100+) fee to a credential evaluation service only to find out that I don't meet the eligibility requirements on account of not actually having an MA equivalent degree.

A substantial amount of graduate level coursework and equivalent to the degree are two very different things. You can get a total of TWO single term courses worth off for having a DELTA at the University of Bath. See this site

Schools in the UK do this to try to convince people with a DELTA to do a graduate degree.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that the information below is how this idea originated in your mind. The DELTA, according to the UK framework - http://www.accreditedqualifications.org.uk/qualifications-and-credit-framework-qcf.html - has been recognized as being at the same level as a master's degree. My best understanding is that this means the courses are equivalent to post-graduate level in difficulty, but are not of sufficient length/quantity to equal an MA.

But, it might be worth a shot.

http://www.eltnews.com/news/archives/2011/05/delta_recognize.html
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think it would work in the US.
In Australia I know a woman who got the DELTA after just having a BA,
and it did help her.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding a Delta is a plus if the OP wants to complete an MA at one of the two dozen or so UK universities that accept it for partial credit. Ironically, there's no consistency in how many credits transfer.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanglish, you're right about the difficulty vs. amount of coursework.

Here's a list of exemptions for DELTA holders at UK universities: http://cambridgedelta.org/2014/01/09/delta_exemptions/

DELTA can be worth up to 30-40% of the credits required for an MA, depending on the university. Some offer as little as 15 credits. I'm astonished that the amount f credits awarded is not more standardized. Isn't the whole point of a qualification ensuring that someone has reached a set standard?

Now to find out which of these universities have a distance learning option. The costs of moving to and living in the UK would far outweigh any bonus credits I would receive. Anyone have any recommendations?

Has anyone heard of someone getting MA credit for DELTA at a US university? It must be happening somewhere.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Has anyone heard of someone getting MA credit for DELTA at a US university? It must be happening somewhere.

It's highly unlikely since the Delta falls under professional/career development and not academic studies. Plus, as I mentioned previously, many US university MA TESOL programs already include a practical component. They also offer graduate certificates in TESOL, which basically are partially-completed MAs that are somewhat similar to the Delta.

That said, take a look at Saint Michael's College, which offers advanced standing to CELTA holders. The Delta would likely be treated the same way. In addition, check out the University of Texas at Austin since it's also a CELTA course provider.

and wrote:
Now to find out which of these (UK) universities have a distance learning option. The costs of moving to and living in the UK would far outweigh any bonus credits I would receive. Anyone have any recommendations?

That's a question for either general discussions or the UK forum.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake,

I don't think any North American programs have anything against the DELTA/CELTA route, it's just so unheard of here that few have put any thought into it (transfer credit).

For ESL teachers in North America, you either get ELL/ESOL/TESOL/whatever acronym as a teachable subject for K-12, or you come back from overseas and get an MA TESOL. I've been an ESL instructor in North America since 2009, and I have yet to meet someone with a DELTA. I work in both K-12 and adult settlement programs.

Have you ever thought to reach out to specific schools? I recently upgraded some coursework in disability studies for my K-12 learners, and I was surprised to see they gave me credit for half the program! I wonder who was drinking when they read my transcripts? Anyways, you never know. You can't always go by what the websites say. You could always ask department heads.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. She beat me to it.
Saint Michael's College is where I went, and where my father teaches.
But they don't have distance learning.
The boss is British too.

Their program has expanded and they have many different programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: