Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL and visa hassles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: ESL and visa hassles Reply with quote

What I am getting from reading other internet sources is that right now in Colombia, individuals from the US get an automatic 90-days, and can extend this by 30 days -- and that's it.

Perhaps I am missing something here. If, hypothetically speaking, an individual wants to make a living teaching ESL in Bogota for at least a year, what are some options for making this happen in relation to the visa question?

Thanks.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frequent border runs, like very three months or so. Check to see if you can leave for a day or two and then come back in on another 90-day visa. Of course, this likely means that any work you find would technically be illegal. Given the wide range of options in Latin America, is that really what you want to do?
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is relatively easy and straightforward to get a work visa in Colombia (or was a little over a year ago--the last I knew.) You need the paperwork from the employer, a copy of your degree, and not much else, as I recall. I'm not sure you even need proof of the degree; it may simply be a question asked when you apply. And as far as I know, you no longer have to leave the country to apply--I think this was one of the changes made in the process.

Anyway, take a look. There are also a number of threads here at the cafe about working on a tourist visa in Colombia.

http://www.cancilleria.gov.co

leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks especially for that link.

"Given the wide range of options in Latin America, is that really what you want to do?"

In your opinion, what is this "wide range of options (elsewhere) in Latin America?" Where else in Latin America do you think it would be easier, or better, to be a first time ESL teacher, with no ESL certs. and a BA in English?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
In your opinion, what is this "wide range of options (elsewhere) in Latin America?" Where else in Latin America do you think it would be easier, or better, to be a first time ESL teacher, with no ESL certs. and a BA in English?

Even as a first time teacher, you shouldn't have trouble finding places where you can work LEGALLY. Fortunately, it sounds like AGoodStory has given you the information you need to do just that in Colombia. If that doesn't work out, however, other countries that seem to be good options for LEGAL work--based on other conversations in these forums--would be Mexico, Peru, Ecuador, or the Dominican Republic. You might try sending a PM to MotherF (Mexico), naturegirl321 (Peru), or HLJHLJ (Ecuador) for specific information on those countries. For the Dominican Republic, check out the forums at DR1.com. Most, if not all of these countries, should be able to give you a residency permit that will allow you to legally work there.

Another route into Latin America that I would recommend for first-timers would be to apply for the Peace Corps or seek out a volunteer or internship position with an NGO, which would give you an opportunity to build up your resume, develop a local network, and position yourself for better jobs in Latin America once you're ready to strike out on your own.

Oh, yes, and the fact that you have an English degree (even without a cert) is a plus. Be sure to emphasize that in your application materials. It's much better than a generic BA in, say, criminal justice or art history.
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks for that feedback.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
Once again, thanks for that feedback.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on where you end up and how it goes.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you decide to further explore the volunteer or internship route, here's a thread from a few weeks ago where we discussed several of the options that are currently available.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108694
G22

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 90 day tourist visa when you enter the country, but you have to specifically ask for it when you speak to DAS at the airport. Getting a work visa isn't that difficult, but you need to make sure your employer gives you all the right papers and makes sure their documents are up to date. I had to go back 3 times when I got my work visa because my employer left out certain documents and didn't have up to date records. This is a problem because you have to wait 1-4 hours each time you go to the ministry of exterior relations.

You also want to make sure you don't overstay your tourist visa, because you will be fined for doing so and you will have to go to migracion colombia and you can spend an entire day in that place.
leretif9

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long into a period of employment should a person wait before broaching the subject with an employer?
G22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
How long into a period of employment should a person wait before broaching the subject with an employer?

I'd bring it up in the interview. Some places will sponsor a work visa, some won't. It's best to find out before you start working for them whether or not that's an option.
allencraig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employers will usually state upfront that they'll sponsor for a visa because it's a big selling point for them. If it's not mentioned, then yes, you need to bring it up in the interview because sometimes the process is lengthy. (Not really the official process, just getting people to prepare the paperwork for you. Colombians are not very timely in getting things done.) But also, you don't want to lose any time waiting for the right moment. You only get the 90 days + another 90 days (I think that's right) before you need to either get some sort of visa, or leave.

If you're running out of time, you could always just enroll in a Spanish class and apply for a student visa. That's pretty common, but may affect your ability to get a job where they require you to already have a visa. (Which I've always thought a ridiculous expectation.)
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the cost of getting a work visa for one year?

Dude
allencraig

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, It should be $50 US just to present your paperwork. Then if they agree everything's in order, it'll be $250 US more.

You pay eveything right there in the office, you won't need to go to a bank and make a deposit. If you're lucky you can get in and out in one day.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allencraig wrote:
Dude, It should be $50 US just to present your paperwork. Then if they agree everything's in order, it'll be $250 US more.

You pay eveything right there in the office, you won't need to go to a bank and make a deposit. If you're lucky you can get in and out in one day.

Thanks.

Much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: