Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

language schools vs community colleges for Kiwi teacher
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is from a community college posting in California:

In addition to an MA...

Quote:
Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience teaching academically rigorous low-intermediate to advanced college-level ESL courses, preferably in the credit community college context.

- Proven ability to teach both multi-skill and single-skill ESL courses.

- Demonstrated ability to apply current theories and methods of teaching ESL.

- Proven ability to work as a team member and to assume responsibilities as needed.

- Effective interpersonal, verbal, written, and technological communication skills.

- Ability to develop original materials and curriculum.

- Evidence of professional development.

The candidate selected for employment will be required to provide the following: official transcripts and verification of experience prior to the first duty day, identification and employment eligibility as outlined in the Immigration Reform and Control Act, fingerprints and required medical certification pursuant to statue. [We] will not sponsor any visa applications.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We will not sponsor any visa applications.

The OP does not need an employer to sponsor his/her visa. The US-New Zealand working holiday agreement provides a one-year visa with work permission and does not require employer sponsorship.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
The OP does not need an employer to sponsor his/her visa. The US-New Zealand working holiday agreement provides a one-year visa with work permission and does not require employer sponsorship.

I know. However, that wasn't why I posted the info from the ad.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
AGoodStory wrote:

I know. However, that wasn't why I posted the info from the ad.

Good enough! But the reason for posting the ad is not really the point. It is possible that others may read this thread, and it is an important distinction for those thinking of trying to work in the US. The working holiday visa agreement makes it relatively easy to qualify for legal permission to work. Without it, as the ad suggests, it is MUCH more difficult.

ETA: The moral here is "Do it while you're young!" Smile
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Language schools vs. community college Reply with quote

As noted on a thread about ADJUNCTING in the US, 70% of faculty in tertiary institutions are comprised of adjuncts which is on the upswing as more tenured, baby boomer faculty retire and their positions are either phased out or replaced by a handful of adjuncts, to avoid having to offer perks of the prior golden days. In addition, were one to be fortunate enough to land one of those few full-time uni TESOL positions, the salary packages are absymal. I've taught public school and can tell you my salary was $15k+ more annually than college/uni ESL positions (before 2009).

I'd recommend teaching at public school in a specific discipline, as Mitsui mentioned, although salary and benefits vary greatly from state to state and county to county. Praxis (leading to state licensure) is the norm for most public school teaching positions. In any case, state employers are required to offer medical benefits to full-time teachers. Also, I know quite a few p.s. teachers (some ESL, too!) with a non-American accent (UK, NZ, Aus, etc.). It's all about supply and demand.

Language mills? HA They pay slave's wages. May as well work at a dept. store. There is neither remuneration for prep time nor guarantee of credit hours and preferred schedule.

Good luck.

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I almost got a job at a university in Kansas, but got rejected,
so decided on public schools.

How are the Praxis tests?

I got certified in Washington state but have to take a couple tests.
Pay is better than in most states.

I wanted to get Oregon certification but need to get fingerprinted in the US,
so I can't do that as I work in Japan.

So now I am certified in Arizona in English and should get the permit in the mail for Washington in English and ELL.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: language schools vs community colleges for Kiwi teacher Reply with quote

WOOW wrote:
I can secure a one-year work visa through a new kind of agreement between the States and NZ...however! is there any word on whether employers are much more likely to hire local teachers...?

any advice would be much appreciated

Since you asked about Colorado on another forum, check out this ESL directory for a list of US providers.
zbird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
It would be easier for you to get a job in Australia.

Lots of teachers work as adjuncts in the US. There is a surplus of teachers
looking for decent ESL work.

Seems that my experience working in Japan doesn't help.
I guess I should play up my experience in Morocco.
I wonder if I spent time working in China, if I could manage to get work at a university in the US.

Why is your experience in Japan considered useless while experience in China is considered useful? I'm pondering the possibilities of teaching in either one and am curious about this.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because many Chinese study in the US. Japanese don't study in the US like they used to. It is not fair but it is what it is.
Experience teaching Arabs or Spanish speakers helps too.
zbird

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, it's the other way around from my observations at least. There are tons of Japanese students who come to study at language schools here, whereas the only Chinese students I see are ones who come for graduate school.

Have you been told by employers that your experience in Japan is less valuable than one in China? Just curious how you've come to this conclusion.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean universities only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: