Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I stay or should I go -NZ????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruthie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Should I stay or should I go -NZ???? Reply with quote

Decisions, decisions. I've just finished my PGCE in Secondary English and have 2 years teaching experience in Japan and S.Korea. My partner's heading to NZ in Sept and I'm wondering if I have any chance of getting work out there. The TESL market seems slack and I don't think I'm experienced enough for High School Ed. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Cheers
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ESL market is very weak in NZ right now - but it is an absolutely beautiful country and a great place to live.

Why not tag along with your partner for a few months and see if you can find work there? If not, then you can always go work somewhere else...
Shellbell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ruthie,
I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question but can just offer the perspective of someone in a similar situation. Unfortunately, I think Is650 is right about the EFL situation being weak, Sad but I am going anyway and hoping to get something. My partner has a really good chance of working as he is a secondary teacher so I'm hoping that with him in work I'll be able to get EFL work at some point.

Why don't you go for secondary teaching work? They are really desparate for secondary teachers and it should be much easier to get a job in a school than in EFL especially if you already have two years' teaching experience. A lot of NZ secondary schools in the major cities seem to have international students. They also seem to have TESOL Departments in the schools.

I could work as a primary teacher in NZ as I've done it in the UK but my heart is in teaching EFL to adults as opposed to kids, so I'm preparing myself for the long haul...

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide to do.
Shelley
aroha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: secondary school teaching in NZ Reply with quote

Hola,
If anyone would like to find out about secondary school jobs available in NZ then take a look at www.edgazette.govt.nz You could also try agencies who provide relief teachers. They say that NZ needs more maths, science and technology teachers. This year there were many new graduates looking for jobs, since there are so many teacher training institutes in NZ now. Nearly all of my friends have found a teaching position for 2005. Obviously, any high school teaching experience in NZ or abroad will give you an edge over the new graduates. You can also look at www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz for information about teacher registration in NZ.
JosephP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the salad days of rolling into NZ and securing a well-paid gig are finished. (Yes, two years ago it was almost that easy).
I've been lucky to get a little bit of relief work and I'm happy to get that. A BA and a CTEFLA (now CELTA) doesn't impress anyone. My work permit expires in January 2006.

If you can get an unrestricted work visa, hell, a while back an asparagus farmer was paying NZD$19/hour and that's not half bad. Perhaps that is why the Indonesian and Filipino crew members are jumping ship and heading out to the farm.

But, you have a PGCE!. That's your ticket. You'll not be too hard pressed to get on in the secondary schools..
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that lots of New Zealanders were leaving, wouldn-t that make room for foreigners? Guess I-ll have to go back to school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: