Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native English teachers in Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not easy.
Depends on what you want to do.

If you could work at a Mexican restaurant and get teaching work on the side it would be OK, except you need a visa for that.
Getting the visa is the key thing now.

You should look up MOFA and look at the kinds of visas available.

JET would be the best choice, but I think you would need teaching experience to get a CIR position.

Frankly, the Peruvians would be the most helpful. They know the ropes.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd take whatever is available to get into Japan. Maybe also check out Nova.

I've worked with three non-native English teachers. It can be done.

mitsui wrote:
The nickname of Shane is Shame. The unions are watching them,
and keeping an eye on GABA. I can't recommend either of them.

Unfortunately the unions are watching a lot of schools.
Lamarr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:

I wouldn't really recommend any of those places I listed. But if you're looking to get a visa and do a year or two in Japan, do a bit of travelling, look for another job, then they're all probably "OK" for a little bit. Just have a plan for what you're going to do after.
jesso92

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you could work at a Mexican restaurant and get teaching work on the side it would be OK, except you need a visa for that.
Getting the visa is the key thing now.

You should look up MOFA and look at the kinds of visas available.

JET would be the best choice, but I think you would need teaching experience to get a CIR position.

Frankly, the Peruvians would be the most helpful. They know the ropes.

Yea, I dont think I'll get a visa from a restaurant. CIR position is out of my reach. I'll research the MOFA thing. Where do I find such Peruvians?
I guess I'll poke around the web.

Quote:
Lamarr-
I wouldn't really recommend any of those places I listed. But if you're looking to get a visa and do a year or two in Japan, do a bit of travelling, look for another job, then they're all probably "OK" for a little bit. Just have a plan for what you're going to do after.

This is my intent, I just need to get there, Ill do so through any company regardless of their level of bullshit.

Quote:
If I were you I'd take whatever is available to get into Japan. Maybe also check out Nova.

mitsui wrote:

Nova is gone isn't it? Didn't Interac buy them out? Also, the unions are watching, so what? Is that, a bad for me?
Rooster.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso92 wrote:

Quote:

mitsui wrote:

Nova is gone isn't it? Didn't Interac buy them out? Also, the unions are watching, so what? Is that, a bad for me?

Nova's history post 2007 is a mess, but they are still very much alive and not associated with Interac.
marley'sghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, CIR means "Coordinator (?) for International Relations". It's a job through the JET program, but you'd be stationed at a City Hall some where doing community international stuff, not in school teaching. From my glance at the Mexico info, that's what it looked like Mexico was doing. There may be some teaching positions in there too I missed. And yeah, generally you need good Japanese. JET ALTing is the best gig. Hard to get, but gravy if you do.
It sounds like you don't need to worry too much. Sounds like the "12 year" rule might be, like many Japanese bureaucratic laws, a "guideline". Put in you applications with whoever and see what turns up. Good luck.
jesso92

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I found this school called Hearts English School. For what I have briefly found about them, they might be the easiest to get into, but worst schools of all out there. Have you guys heard of it? Thinking about applying. I figured, might as well.

Also, taking in mind that the pay is utter shit at Hearts, I could get a second job right? Like teaching English privately or something.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso92 wrote:
Hey guys, so I found this school called Hearts English School. For what I have briefly found about them, they might be the easiest to get into, but worst schools of all out there. Have you guys heard of it? Thinking about applying. I figured, might as well.

Also, taking in mind that the pay is utter shit at Hearts, I could get a second job right? Like teaching English privately or something.

Heart serves Kanto, which is expensive, and pays on the low end. Really all you need is a foot in the door then the options open up.

But, yes, you could take a second job.
jesso92

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sent my application to Heart, that was yesterday, and I haven't heard from them. Now this is probably normal, haha, but I heard some guys got contacted right the next day to set up an interview. How long does it usually take for a company to try to set up an interview if they like the application? How much time's gotta go by for me to know that indeed I wont get contacted? 2 weeks? a month? Man, if Heart doesn't take me...
Dettark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso92 wrote:
Well, I sent my application to Heart, that was yesterday, and I haven't heard from them. Now this is probably normal, haha, but I heard some guys got contacted right the next day to set up an interview. How long does it usually take for a company to try to set up an interview if they like the application? How much time's gotta go by for me to know that indeed I wont get contacted? 2 weeks? a month? Man, if Heart doesn't take me...

How did it go?

Unrelated question: It's stated on Gaba's site that an applicant must have a bachelor's degree (or above) from an accredited university where English was the medium of instruction.

Does anyone know how strict Gaba is on this? Let's say you have a B.A in English Lit. and most, but not all of the courses were taught in English?
jesso92

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How did it go?

Unrelated question: It's stated on Gaba's site that an applicant must have a bachelor's degree (or above) from an accredited university where English was the medium of instruction.

Does anyone know how strict Gaba is on this? Let's say you have a B.A in English Lit. and most, but not all of the courses were taught in English?

Hey, So, Heart didnt even reach back to me whatsoever, which was incredibly shocking, as for what I hear they are the easiest darn company to get hired at, as well as the worst in terms of quality.

Now I'm in the middle of the application process with Gaba, I had my first interview, and have schedule a second one. They dont care about your bachelors degree's details, as long as you have one. They dont care that not all of the courses were taught in English, as long as you prove high proficiency on the language.
Dettark

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso92 wrote:
Quote:
How did it go?

Hey, So, Heart didnt even reach back to me whatsoever, which was incredibly shocking, as for what I hear they are the easiest darn company to get hired at, as well as the worst in terms of quality.

Now I'm in the middle of the application process with Gaba, I had my first interview, and have schedule a second one. They dont care about your bachelors degree's details, as long as you have one. They dont care that not all of the courses were taught in English, as long as you prove high proficiency on the language.

They said they always check whether the applicant actually had their degree taught in English or not. Have they not done that with you?
jesso92

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dettark wrote:

They said they always check whether the applicant actually had their degree taught in English or not. Have they not done that with you?[/quote]

Well, since their website says that they consider people from any country, I would think that they don't mind as long as you have a degree.
In my case though, I did graduated from an American university, so I didn't care much about the details regarding that matter. You should send them an email and inquire about that, that's something you can do. I did that with Interac, and they honestly told me that they don't consider non-native speakers, so I didn't even apply.
Dettark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dettark wrote:
jesso92 wrote:

How did it go?

Bump. Does anyone know?
Dettark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's stated on Gaba's site that an applicant must have a bachelor's degree (or above) from an accredited university where English was the medium of instruction.

Bump. Does anyone know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: