Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native English teachers in Japan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesso92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in my case, I'm a non native speaker. If you or your friend are native speakers, then I don't know. It may be that as long as you've graduated university somewhere + passport from an English speaking country, and you are good. But, I'm Mexican, and they hinted to me, that It was completely possible and there was precedent for them to have hired Mexicans that have graduated from American Universities. Emphasize on the 'American,' you can replace it with any English speaking country and there you go.
victory7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesso - can you clarify a few things? You referred to Gaba - did you have a phone interview or did you have an interview in person in the USA?

Yes it seems there is prejudice against your Mexican background but don't give up. If you were in Japan you'd see that English teachers are becoming more diverse. Filipino teachers are not rare, there are people of Hispanic background teaching, you see more African Americans teaching English in Japan, more Asian Americans, Asian Canadians etc.

So did you go to a Gaba recruiting drive and see the recruiters face to face? I'd say you have to tackle this step by step. First, re-examine your resume. You don't have to write your birthplace for a start. It will be on your passport but that should come later. Emphasise in your resume your experience of schooling and work in the USA.

Your accent might not be a problem. It could very well be that the pre-conception of interviewers and would be employers is the problem as they have identified you as Mexican and stereotypes and prejudices then come into play.

I'd recommend that if you don't have part time work at the moment, try to get just any so you can save and then come to Japan. The jobs are still in Tokyo and the way you present yourself at interviews in Jp will count for more than sending a resume. Full time teaching gigs are being replaced by part time work but you can put together a lot of hours at some jobs by working when they want you to.

Look at jobs in japan dot com. There are jobs teaching adults in Tokyo. They don't provide benefits but you will get enough hours if you are competent although you probably will have to work at night time when the teachers who came before you don't want to work. Same goes for the weekend although 2 days off is usual in those jobs.

Tokyo is a big place and has the social capital that other big cities like Osaka lack. There are plenty of business people, male and female, who want to learn English in Tokyo. You'll have to bring at leat 5,000 bucks to tide yourself over and you'll have to live in a guesthouse for a while but it is do-able.

Keep posting.
jesso92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victory7 wrote:
Jesso - can you clarify a few things? You referred to Gaba - did you have a phone interview or did you have an interview in person in the USA?

Yes it seems there is prejudice against your Mexican background but don't give up. If you were in Japan you'd see that English teachers are becoming more diverse. Filipino teachers are not rare, there are people of Hispanic background teaching, you see more African Americans teaching English in Japan, more Asian Americans, Asian Canadians etc.

So did you go to a Gaba recruiting drive and see the recruiters face to face? I'd say you have to tackle this step by step. First, re-examine your resume. You don't have to write your birthplace for a start. It will be on your passport but that should come later. Emphasise in your resume your experience of schooling and work in the USA.

Your accent might not be a problem. It could very well be that the pre-conception of interviewers and would be employers is the problem as they have identified you as Mexican and stereotypes and prejudices then come into play.

I'd recommend that if you don't have part time work at the moment, try to get just any so you can save and then come to Japan. The jobs are still in Tokyo and the way you present yourself at interviews in Jp will count for more than sending a resume. Full time teaching gigs are being replaced by part time work but you can put together a lot of hours at some jobs by working when they want you to.

Look at jobs in japan dot com. There are jobs teaching adults in Tokyo. They don't provide benefits but you will get enough hours if you are competent although you probably will have to work at night time when the teachers who came before you don't want to work. Same goes for the weekend although 2 days off is usual in those jobs.

Tokyo is a big place and has the social capital that other big cities like Osaka lack. There are plenty of business people, male and female, who want to learn English in Tokyo. You'll have to bring at leat 5,000 bucks to tide yourself over and you'll have to live in a guesthouse for a while but it is do-able.

Keep posting.

Hey ! Thanks for the comment and the advice, It's much appreciated!

As far as GABA goes, I did the whole application process online. A couple skype interviews, test/questionnaire completion, and that's that. For now I think I'm good though. I got a a confirmed date for my interview with Peppys. If that doesn't fly, I'm already applying for a language school in Tokyo, so, either way I'm going to be in Japan this fall. It will be a piece of cake to get part time jobs teaching while I'm there on a student visa, and then moving into a full time visa sponsored job won't be as daunting as it is when trying to apply from abroad.

That's the plan.
jesso92

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>>>>>>>>>>UPDATE !!<<<<<<

OKAY! I'm here to inform you lovely people, that I got offered the Job, and I'm going to japan this summer!!!! IT'S POSSIBLE. Sorry, I am too excited to be coherent right now. ALRIGHT! Now I'm so, oh so glad, that GABA rejected me, cause now I get to work for Peppy Kids Club, the company that was at the very top, of the list of the companies I wanted to work for back when I started applying.

NOW! Helpful information= Peppy kids club, is doing something new with their recruiting. And that is skype interviews. They used to only do in person interviews, in their branch offices at selected countries. That's why they contacted me suddenly 3 months later, cause they have just started getting into this new process for them. This is great for you all that may not reside in English speaking countries. I live in the states right now, but, still applies for everyone out there I suppose.
What I did though, and I recommend anybody to do this, if you are applying for a company like Peppy Kids Club, I made a demo lesson, before my interview. I recorded a demo lesson in my living room, with my mom and brother as students. Had a 5 minute lesson teaching colors and animals, in an interactive Genki way. Which they ABSOLUTELY loved apparently.

And so here I am. Super excited, getting pumped. Gonna study Japanese like crazy from now on. Cause they probably gonna send me to the middle of nowhere haha. But that's fine, cause I DID IT !! I'M GOING! Tears were shed in the process, disappointments, and hardships too, but I did it.
Fellow non-native English speakers, see you on the other side, never give up.
D. Amokachi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you Jesso, well done.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck!

What attracted you to Japan?
cat mother

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't celebrate just yet.
Celebrate when you have your CoE in hand.
I've seen it too many times before - a non-native speaker's CoE application rejected despite having a job offer from a reputable company.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, keep us updated with how things are going!
Dettark

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cat mother wrote:
I've seen it too many times before - a non-native speaker's CoE application rejected despite having a job offer from a reputable company.

Even with a degree from an English speaking country?
jesso92

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

cat mother wrote:

Even with a degree from an English speaking country?

Yea, I took that comment with a grain of salt. I think I got enough things going in my favor, including a TEFL certificate and a Degree from an English speaking country etc etc. The company told me that they had successfully hired at least another person from my country that had a degree from an English speaking country, so I'm not worried at all.

Anyways, right now I'm going through that very process. I've sent all the required documentation, and I'm just waiting for the company to give me notice that my CoE is ready and on its way to me. If all goes well I should be in Japan in about a month and a half.
rtm

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesso92 wrote:
If all goes well I should be in Japan in about a month and a half.

Congrats! Keep us updated on how it all works out!
jesso92

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COE approved and on it's way. Wink I recon it'll be smooth sailing from here.

Edit: Got my Visa today. Oh yea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: