Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A country hopping question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: A country hopping question Reply with quote

I'm finishing up this semester in China, but then plan to get out in January. China's eternally grey skies are really taking a lot out of me, and I also happen to be living in quite a s***-pit. (I'm pretty sure that smoke monster thing from "Lost" has taken over my city.)

Time for a change.

So what I want to do is set up my next job in Asia while on the road. (I'm open-minded about which country to go next.) In other words, my plan is to travel in January and part of February and be ready to start my next job in late February or early March. (Yes, most likely a training school. Yes, I know. No need to say anything. Really.) Short term is preferable, but I'm open-minded.

What are some countries where I can do this? Has anyone ever done this before? I don't have original docs with me. I avoid countries that need those because it's silly. (Yes, it is silly. No, you can't change my mind about that. My country lets people in willy-nilly. Papers or no papers, docs or no docs. If a foreign country is worried about some first-worlder not having originals, I'll just say neeeexxxxttt. Chill. No, chill.)

I'm finding some short term jobs online that I could do this with, but most of them include fees for their program or are just flat out volunteer work (in which case I would just rather travel for fun, not to work for free. I always say this: since I can work for anyone for free, would I work for you? No, no I wouldn't.)

I know this likely means getting in with a low quality school. I'm fine with that since it's short term. Yes, I know that effectively would make me one of the Nicholas Cages of EFL teaching. (Hey, if he can star in a "Left Behind" movie, I can go to a crummy school for a few months. At least I'll still have some dignity left afterwards.)

As long as they are paying me and I'm not paying them, and I can set it up while on the road, I'm open to it.

Here's what is currently in the running:

Vietnam: I've read that one can work there for under 3 months without a work permit. But then I hear a lot of things about how things work (or don't work?) for Vietnam. Apparently things change there approximately every two days.

Thailand: Whooo boy. Yeah, from what I'm hearing, things are getting pretty bad there. But come on, it's Thailand. Bangkok. One of the most fun cities in the world, right? I know the state of EFL teaching there is as dismal as ever. (Perhaps to the point of making freakin'-Nick-Cage-in-a-Left-Behind-movie-look-dignified-by-comparison bad.) But if it's a country I can do this, I'm game. I found short term programs for this, but with a program fee, which is not cool, man, not cool at all.

Honestly those are the best two options that I see. Asia somehow got to be a small place.

Come on, Davers. Bring it on. Hit me with your pet shark. (I swear, that's what she's really singing.)
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I don't think you're country hopping, you're just moving to another country after a bit of travelling; some of us have been doing that for years. I'd say country hopping is continuously changing countries after a year of work.

To be frank mate, your attitude is holding you back. If a country needs docs to work legally, then you have to suck it up. I'm not sure people can just turn up in a Western country and start a professional job without the right papers. You're taking a potshot at illegal immigrants I guess.

As you have realised, you'll be working bottom feeder jobs at a very low rate of pay, or, like many of the chancers out there, cobbling up work at multiple centres to make ends meet.

In short, try Vietnam, Thailand or Cambodia. Use Dave's or turn up in one of those countries and sniff out where the foreign teachers hang out; someone usually knows some school after a warm body with a pulse.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Just hop on the EFL Bandwagon to Kaosarn Road in Bangkok....Thai schools are always looking for a falang with a pulse...expect Baths 30,000/Month...with a degree and TEFL certificate. Smile
Lack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:
Firstly, I don't think you're country hopping, you're just moving to another country after a bit of travelling; some of us have been doing that for years. I'd say country hopping is continuously changing countries after a year of work.

Yeah, bad title. My bad. Wasn't sure what to call it but didn't want to title it something like, "Question."

Quote:
To be frank mate, your attitude is holding you back. If a country needs docs to work legally, then you have to suck it up. I'm not sure people can just turn up in a Western country and start a professional job without the right papers.

Well, problem is I don't have originals with me. I'd have to go home to get them, and that would defeat the point.

Quote:
You're taking a potshot at illegal immigrants I guess.

Aw, come on, it wasn't really a potshot. Anyway...are you implying, sir, that EFL teaching (OK, this kind of EFL teaching) is a professional job? Smile

Quote:
As you have realised, you'll be working bottom feeder jobs at a very low rate of pay, or, like many of the chancers out there, cobbling up work at multiple centres to make ends meet.

I know, but that's fine. I'm prepared to do it. It's strictly temporary. And I could leave anytime.

Quote:
In short, try Vietnam, Thailand or Cambodia. Use Dave's or turn up in one of those countries and sniff out where the foreign teachers hang out; someone usually knows some school after a warm body with a pulse.

it always comes down to those three I think (for Southeast Asia anyway.) Southeast Asia is such a small place these days...

EFL Educator wrote:

Just hop on the EFL Bandwagon to Kaosarn Road in Bangkok....Thai schools are always looking for a falang with a pulse...expect Baths 30,000/Month...with a degree and TEFL certificate. Smile

Hahaha, I could've sworn you said 30K Baht per month WITH a degree and TEFL.

Wait...you DID say that?

Well, that explains why I'm finding so much online about foreigners ending up stuck in Thailand with no money...
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Firstly, I don't think you're country hopping, you're just moving to another country after a bit of travelling; some of us have been doing that for years.

Kurtz is right here. We refer to it as "the circuit" and many people have been "on the circuit" for years from South Korea to Indonesia to the Gulf and almost everywhere in between and back again. People do it because they can. There are plenty of opportunities and the market seems to be growing. Unfortunately, as you have noticed, most of the jobs and schools are not really that great. Also, people move around because most places get boring after a year or two and a change of scene can cure most ailments.

The 2 countries you mention have several websites filled with job ads for teaching at crummy schools and otherwise. But between Thailand and Vietnam, doing what you're talking about, short-term with no original docs and no work permit is much easier in VN. It's also easy in Laos but you have to do a visa run every 30 days, which wears out your passport pretty quickly. You can buy a one-year visa there (and some other countries) if you know someone who can provide it and you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars.

Cambodia is dodgy in every possible way but there is some work there and as far as I know the visas are still easy to get. There was some flack regarding work permits earlier this year but haven't heard much about that lately.

There's also Burma and Indonesia.

Anyway, the simplest thing to do but not necessarily the easiest would be to show up in HCMC after getting a 3-month visa in a neighboring country. Not sure what's the deal is in China, but it's easy in Vientiane and Phnom Penh, probably Bangkok as well.The part that is not easy is living in a village of 10 million people and 6 million motorbikes. It's densely populated and quite stressful, at least for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: