Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New at A'Takamul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mideastbound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: New at A'Takamul Reply with quote

I've been at my new school, A'Takamul for two days and must say I'm quite impressed with the way things are going so far. Everyone has been so helpful and professional and I've experienced none of the unprofessional ism or negativity that I've read about on this website. As for our residencies, all new staff will be traveling to Bahrain for our medical check ups to begin our residency process. Again, I haven't met the students, yet, and I'm sure they will be a challenge, but as far as the school goes, so far so good!
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Out of the mouths of babes...... Reply with quote

mideastbound wrote:
I've been at my new school, A'Takamul for two days and must say I'm quite impressed with the way things are going so far. Everyone has been so helpful and professional and I've experienced none of the unprofessional ism or negativity that I've read about on this website. As for our residencies, all new staff will be traveling to Bahrain for our medical check ups to begin our residency process. Again, I haven't met the students, yet, and I'm sure they will be a challenge, but as far as the school goes, so far so good!

LOL- yes you haven't met the students yet- have you visited upstairs and taken a smell ? MMmm, on second thoughts wait until about four days into term....AFTER people have stopped fasting and resumed bodily functions.

You won't ''experience the unprofessionalism or negativity'' at the start of any academic year in any school no matter how sh&t it is- and they won't cheat you til the end of your contract anyway. Just wait.

- if you are in Primary, ask the Head when she will finish her online masters, where two teachers fled to last year and why Ms Christine had a travel ban

-if you are in the Secondary, ask the principal where her qualifications actually are.............and why the VP left after only one year....

- if you pass by the academic director's office, ask her when your IQAMA will be ready.......see how quickly she gets snitty.....

Have you asked why on earth they are sending you to ''Bahrain for medical check ups'' when

1) you have already had medical check ups at home
2) everyone ( including perhaps at sometime you) has to have medical check ups done IN KUWAIT

?

Aren't the alarm bells already ringing?Ding ding......dong dong...... haven't you asked yourself why members of staff newly arrived at other schools in Kuwait, not IPE owned, have already been to the hospital ( IN Kuwait....) to have :

1) bloods taken
2) x ray done

and the Ministry to have finger prints taken...................

(Bahrain is another country- if you went to work in Germany would they send you to Belgium for a medical check up????? )
This used to be the way things were done 15-20 years ago.....now the only reason for a trip to Bahrain is a) en route to somewhere else b) to get bevvied or more likely your scenario.....c) to re-enter Kuwait on a visit visa....

Just a thought , hey did you know they've taken gullible out of the dictionary? Really, go look.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That trip to Bahrain for a medical is one of the more bizarre things that I have seen mentioned on this board. The proper procedures are those mentioned by Starfell and are done in Kuwait. I would not go to Bahrain unless they are paying for it 100% up front... flight, hotel, & medical... because otherwise I suspect that you will have paid for nothing.

This place continues to do some very shady stuff. It will be interesting to hear if any of the teachers will manage to get an actual "work visa" so that they can do anything to make their lives comfortable... like get a phone or a driving license or car or internet at home...

VS
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS- I've already heard from one teacher who has been there a couple of days, said he was branded a trouble maker for asking questions and wondered how he could ''escape''.
mideastbound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I can only say how things have gone so far, and I'm very content with the way I've been treated.

Starfell, why are you so negative about this school? I really would like to know.
Starfell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply this middleeastbound: I have an aversion to immorality and illegal practices.

Immorality= pretending to be Muslim while breaking the law of the land so blatantly by employing people illegally under visit visas

You're new here, perhaps unaware of sharia, which states that muslims should obey the law of the land.

Immorality= pretending to be Muslim whilst at the same time changing senors' grades to allow them to obtain ministry scholarships.

Illegality= all of the above.

Tell you what, come back to me in 3 months' time and tell me if you have your iqama yet. Then we'll talk, but in my opinion 943 or 1093KD, whichever they are giving you, isn't enough to put your life at risk working illegally in a country where you will be imprisoned and then deported if caught working on a visit visa.
mideastbound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Starfell. I'm approaching the job with guarded optimism.

So, it's their breaking of Sharia law that bothers you?
In my short time in this country, I've seen a lot of people do things in public that break Sharia law.

Starfell wrote:

You're new here, perhaps unaware of sharia, which states that muslims should obey the law of the land.

I don't wish to argue, but I am a Muslim and your definition of Sharia is a bit vague.
Sharia is derived from two primary sources, the divine revelations set forth in the Quran, and the sayings and example set by the Islamic Prophet Muhammad.

Anyway, thank you for your advice, and I will return soon as things develop, positive, or negative.

Very Happy
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are Muslim, don't tke their illegal practices as an indication of Islam in Kuwait, and especially not when you are asked to adjust dear little Essa
( whose daddy is a director) 's grades......

Re my mentioning Sharia- there would be a good few in IPE Shuwaikh and upstairs in Sabah al Salem going without their hands if it really was implemented.

''He says: �And fulfill the Covenant to Allah when you have covenanted, and break not the oaths after you have confirmed them.� [S�rah al-Nahl: 91]''
mideastbound

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
mentioning Sharia- there would be a good few in IPE Shuwaikh and upstairs in Sabah al Salem going without their hands if it really was implemented.
'

I haven't been here long, but if Sharia law truly ruled Kuwait, gloves' sales would take a serious hit throughout the whole country.
Starfell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mideastbound wrote:
Starfell wrote:
mentioning Sharia- there would be a good few in IPE Shuwaikh and upstairs in Sabah al Salem going without their hands if it really was implemented.
'

I haven't been here long, but if Sharia law truly ruled Kuwait, gloves' sales would take a serious hit throughout the whole country.

I hope they don't cr@p on you from a great height, I hope you do get your work visa and their issues with the ministry have been resolved.
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't work for the school. You will regret it. Read the other threads on here about A'takamul. Take what is written seriously. Trust me as someone who didn't listen and went to a school that lied about getting a work visa not long after arrival. They gave many of my friends who worked there last year the run around at the end of their contract. One of my friends was banned from leaving at the end of the year saying they would help her with the visa. Many other teachers left the school last year because of corruptness and unprofessionalism. Favoritism runs rampant, and if you are not with the 'in' crowd beware. If you complain at all, you will be mistreated and not listened to.
middleastman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: optimism Reply with quote

Please dont kid yourself. A'takamul isnt what you would call a good school. Shoddy managment is being nice. Kuwait? sharia? thats quite funny too.
urdoox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any update on takamul?
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

urdoox wrote:
any update on takamul?

I've been with the school since September and so far, I've been treated very well. I haven't experienced any of the negativity I've read from other posters.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have your legal work visa?

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: