Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexico City Jobs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EireLDN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Mexico City Jobs Reply with quote

Hello there, I'm hoping to move out to Mexico City from the UK in the coming months and wanted some advice with regards to finding a job.

I'm a recent university graduate (BSc Biology) with significant librarian experience within a higher education environment. I'd be equally happy to take a support staff job as a teaching job however I don't speak Spanish which rules me out of most librarian jobs within international schools it seems.

Ideally, I would be able to secure a job before I moved. It would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction. Cheers!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily need Spanish for a librarian position at an international school - which are about the only schools where non-Mexican librarians are hired anyway.

That position does not turn over a lot. An alternate route might be in information technology, either in the classroom or as support staff.

Why not put that bio degree to use and teach in the sciences? Bio, chem, and physics teachers are always in high demand, teaching the subject in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EireLDN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if I could secure a science teaching position but I've been having a look at international schools and they all appear to require a teaching qualification alongside your degree which unfortunately I don't have, but please correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science teachers usually get some leeway on the teacher certification due to demand. You may not luck out at the very top international schools, but there are second tier schools you'll definitely do fine with.

I work with dozens of schools throughout Mexico on staffing and see this all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EireLDN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear, thanks for all your help! Any schools in particular that I should look into around the Mexico City area?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilango Magazine comes out with a private schools issue every year, I think in December or January, even if you don't know Spanish, you can use the names and addresses of the schools to plot out where they are on a map and send a letter of inquiry. Not sure how up to date this is, but I had this bookmarked:

http://www.chilango.com/general/nota/2010/02/02/guia-100-mejores-escuelas

As Guy said, it is fairly common for content area teacher to be able to find a job, especially in Science and Math, seems there is a shortage everywhere. Don't rule out schools not on this list, there are lots of nice private schools inn middle class neighbors where the pay is OK, and the students are MUCH better to work with, as are the parents. Do you have an area of the city where you want to live/work? Or are you looking for a job first?
EireLDN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the list of schools. I managed to find last year's list and I'm currently making my way through it.

I haven't decided on any areas in particular yet, I'm pretty happy to follow a job.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this school is on the list, it is a bit off the beaten path, but I can highly recommend it. It is in a middle class area, with high standards, and parents who have high standards, not a lot in the way of discipline problems like you often find in the more upper crust students. I worked here years ago, but I still know people who send their kids there so doesn't sound like it has changed a lot. A bonus is that since it is not in a "trendy" are you could find something reasonable to rent nearby.

http://eltesorodelsaber.edu.mx/
EireLDN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!
EireLDN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update with my job search. I emailed the majority of schools on the Chilango list but aside from a few responses saying they aren't currently looking, I haven't had much luck.

I did manage to bag a Chemistry teacher interview which went very well but they don't need me to start until August which is a bit later than I was hoping for. Ideally, I'll be able to find something starting this side of the summer.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EireLDN wrote:
Just a quick update with my job search. I emailed the majority of schools on the Chilango list but aside from a few responses saying they aren't currently looking, I haven't had much luck.

I did manage to bag a Chemistry teacher interview which went very well but they don't need me to start until August which is a bit later than I was hoping for. Ideally, I'll be able to find something starting this side of the summer.

You want to teach in a school, but you don't want to follow their schedule? Let's assume the majority of people don't break contracts, that means right now the majority of the positions are filled and will remain filled until July when the Mexican school year finishes. If you want to start sooner you will have to go the langauge school route which operate year-round and therefore hire year-round.
General Disarray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Science teachers usually get some leeway on the teacher certification due to demand. You may not luck out at the very top international schools, but there are second tier schools you'll definitely do fine with.

I work with dozens of schools throughout Mexico on staffing and see this all the time.

Would you say the same for Mathematics?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Disarray wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Would you say the same for Mathematics?

Yes...science, math, technology...areas where English-speaking teachers are in short supply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: