Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you interact with adult students with little English?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: How do you interact with adult students with little English? Reply with quote

I posted this originally in the Japan forum but I think this is a better place to ask it:

I am also wondering what a potential business English lesson might look like. I haven't yet taken a course in teaching English as a second language. Some of the following questions might be answered after I take my course, but if anyone could help answer these I would appreciate it.

The client might not be able to relay in English what his or her objectives are for the the lesson, so will I need to rely on my employer to relay that information? Are there smartphone based Japanese translation tools decent enough that will enable me discern this information on my own?

If the client doesn't have a set objective, I imagine I could find out what he or she does for work and then help them learn useful English words and phrases. For instance if they are an accountant, I could bring some financial statements (like a profit and loss statement or balance sheet) that have the English and Japanese words listed like "Net Income / 当期純利益" and help them learn the pronunciation and how this word connects with other words. What are some other teaching methods for any profession that would help me convey these words and phrases?

If the client wants to learn something in English but has limited English skills, how am I supposed to discern what they want to do? I know these questions might seem pretty basic, but i'm interested in how it works.

Thanks for any advice.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Internet is your friend...

Take a look at:
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your employer should be giving you a basic idea of what the goals are. Use a lot of realia, pictures, anything concrete that they can see/touch/use while associating it with English. Videos (in brief), can be helpful for low beginners.

I teach a lot of absolute beginners. It's difficult, and you need to be mindful of teacher talk (TT) vs student talk (ST). I aim for 50/50 with low beginners.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out the following:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: