Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with some questons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Newbie with some questons Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Raymond. I've got a few questions but first I'll tell you the need to know about me. I'm 36 from the UK. I was in the Royal Navy until 2012 and left as I wanted to do TEFL.. The research I done concluded I was best to do this by getting a degree and a CELTA so I left the Navy to embark an Open Uni degree. I will complete this in May this year. I've been doing voluntary work with my local council for the last few months helping with ESOL classes for some experience.

I plan to do a CELTA either in the UK or overseas when I get my degree certificate this year.

This is where my questions and other thoughts begin. Here is what I am ultimately looking for firstly..

- To teach in a much warmer climate than the UK
- To earn enough that I can save to fly back home for a break in the UK for a few weeks and then fly out to a new location to teach again the following year.
- Not to be worked to the bone. I like to work hard, I'm passionate in what I put my mind to and will teach people to best of my ability, but I don't want to be taken the preverbial pee out of. So some good free time to enjoy the new culture is a big thing for me.

What do you experienced guys and gals suggest for getting the CELTA? e.g. should I fly out to Spain, Vietnam, Thailand etc and do it there and once complete just start chapping doors for jobs so to speak?

Am I missing anything out that is essential before I fly out somewhere?

Most of my savings will be going to the CELTA so how much money will I need in the bank when flying out somewhere to do the CELTA then job hunt?

Well that's enough for now I think. I will have a few other questions based on what answers I hopefully get back, but for now your input would be massively appreciated. Your thoughts and suggestions generally on all I have mentioned here are also very much welcome. e.g. am I being unrealistic in what I want?

Regards,

Ray
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with some questons Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
I plan to do a CELTA either in the UK or overseas when I get my degree certificate this year.

This is where my questions and other thoughts begin. Here is what I am ultimately looking for firstly..

- To teach in a much warmer climate than the UK
- To earn enough that I can save to fly back home for a break in the UK for a few weeks and then fly out to a new location to teach again the following year.
- Not to be worked to the bone. I like to work hard, I'm passionate in what I put my mind to and will teach people to best of my ability, but I don't want to be taken the preverbial pee out of. So some good free time to enjoy the new culture is a big thing for me.

What do you experienced guys and gals suggest for getting the CELTA? e.g. should I fly out to Spain, Vietnam, Thailand etc and do it there and once complete just start chapping doors for jobs so to speak?

Am I missing anything out that is essential before I fly out somewhere?

Most of my savings will be going to the CELTA so how much money will I need in the bank when flying out somewhere to do the CELTA then job hunt?

Well that's enough for now I think. I will have a few other questions based on what answers I hopefully get back, but for now your input would be massively appreciated. Your thoughts and suggestions generally on all I have mentioned here are also very much welcome. e.g. am I being unrealistic in what I want?

UK passport = check
Degree = Check
pulse = check
clean police clearance = unknown.

For anywhere in Asia, as soon as you get the degree parchment and updated police clearance in your hot little hand you are good to go. Get on a plane and be here at the correct time of the year and you will find ample opportunities for work as a teacher.

As to your other questions:

a) Make enough money to fly home each year = probably but you'd be unlikely, at entry level EFL wages, to do anything else once you get home.

Changing jobs or countries every year means ALWAYS starting at the bottom of the EFL wage ladder again each time.

b) Worked to the bone = not unless you want to BUT
... teaching EFL is a regular, 40-hour work week. You do your 20-30 hours in the classroom and the rest of your time is spend doing lesson prep, material prep, marking, etc.

... What it isn't is a working vacation with mornings on the beach, afternoons in the classroom and evenings in the disco. If you get a job in an EFL center rather than a school then you can expect to work a lot of evenings and/or weekends (and still 30 classes in a 40 hour week).

c) It is usually cheaper and easier to do the CELTA (or other EFL course) where you will be working (or looking for work) rather than the UK. It gives you the chance to network and also to do your practicum with the target market (until you get some real classroom time under your belt).

Do also be advised that the CELTA (Cambridge branded TEFL course) is geared toward teaching ADULTS and most jobs in Asia (as compared to the EU) are working with kids (k-12 ages).

d) depending on where you go the cost for your startup will vary. In SE Asia you will need about £1400 for the CELTA (there are lots of other TEFL courses (in class with practicum) to be found for under £1000.

In addition to the cost of your TEFL course you will need the cost of the airfare to Asia, living expenses for a couple of months (food, housing, etc) and you should have a reserve large enough to get a flight home if needed. Think £2000-3000 + the cost of your TEFL.

Some places like Korea still front the airplane ticket and supply housing so they are cheaper to get started in but the competition for jobs is a bit higher.

For places like China you need the airplane ticket in but housing is often supplied. You only need to worry about your visa and cost to get to China.

Can't tell you about the EU. Airfare is cheap but there are others who can give you a better idea of the markets (jobs and wages).

There ARE differences depending on the country you are looking at to begin work. Without a more specific target it is hard to give more specific and less general information.

Hod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray, another ex-RN here but probably not as long as you.

Just my view on CELTA, I doubt you'd get overly stressed by it but many do. It is a lot of work. You don't need any long commutes or other disruptions during those four weeks. If I'd done CELTA abroad, I'd have been more up for sightseeing or more likely drinking.

Do it in the boring old UK. Four weeks, three weekends. Done.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't entirely agree with Hod in this case. Doing a CELTA in the country where you want to start teaching can be a very useful bridge into the country/culture.

A good training center will help you with (or provide) logistical support like airport pickup, accommodation during the course, and local orientation. Your fellow trainees can form your first social circle, your practice teaching students will really be representative of those you'll be working with when you start, and a good training center can hook you up with reputable local employers. It can really be a pretty good head start.

I don't know about long commutes (if the training center provides housing, why should it be a long commute?) and your fellow trainees are under the same time pressures as you will be, so they are unlikely to tempt you much to go sightseeing or out drinking.

Anyway, for Europe, it's very common to take the course in-country. Ideally in August; the peak hiring season is Sept/early October and it can be difficult to find much outside of that hiring window.
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I think I will do the CELTA in the country I decide to go to. It's all very exciting.

With regards to this police check, I have a clean record so nothing to worry about there. But how is this arranged?

Hi shippers, which branch were you Hod?
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros and cons. The CELTA is four weeks of doing nothing but CELTA. There's no time for networking or culture, and trying either of these will be a distraction. Plenty of time for excitement after, not during the CELTA.

Also, you'll be relying on the organisational skills of a locally-paid member of staff. I'd rather not fly all that way relying on one person. If your accommodation, for example, is messed up, the disruption to your CELTA will be horrendous. If you want something done properly...

If you are determined to do CELTA overseas, I'd opt for a centre which offers regular courses. Some centres only run CELTA once a year, and I'd be wary of how clued up the staff would be.

---

Was a lowly ME. Later an even lower MEA in the RNR, who don't even have that branch now, was a few years ago.
reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hod, that's really useful. I'm strongly considering International House in Spain or Bangkok. They seem quite experienced and I have checked out some Youtube videos for them. Does anyone have thoughts on them? With regards to this police check, how does one arrange this?

Last edited by reblair79 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79 wrote:
Thanks Hod, that's really useful. I'm stronly considering International House in Spain or Bangkok. They seem quite experienced and I have checked out some Youtube videos for them. Does anyone have thoughts on them? With regards to thjis police check, how does one arrange this?

UK police check:
https://www.acro.police.uk/Police_Certificates_Online.aspx or
http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/basicdisclosureonline/

Depending on where you want to go to afterward you may need an apostille from the FCO as well.
https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Kowloon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CELTA in IH Bangkok and would recommend it. Excellent value for money, solid trainers and a really nice mix of students to teach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: