Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA with International House

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: CELTA with International House Reply with quote

I am considering going to Spain when I finish my degree this year to do a CELTA with International House in Spain. I am 36 and from the UK. Been planning this since leaving the Navy in 2012, needed my degree first.

Could anyone help with a few questions?

Do you recommend them

If I want to stay in Spain to look for work, how much money do you recommend I save to have in my account to get me by for the CELTA month and until I find work thereafter?

Does anyone have any stories similar to mine where they went out to do their CELTA and stayed there working? It would be nice to speak to someone who has lived the experience that I am planning.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CELTA with them in, Madrid in 2006. Certainly, for the CELTA was well taught and, I liked the tutor but some people seemed to take her the wrong way. I doubt it'll be the same one when you do it.

You don't say where and when you're going. You need a couple of grand I'd say for Madrid. Remember you'll have to pay a deposit to rent.
reblair79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Madrid for the CELTA. If I am going to look for jobs in Spain I would preferably like a coastal city or town. But as I'm just starting and I don't speak Spanish, I can't be too fussy in my first year I imagine. Just getting a few ideas together at the moment. Still a few months to finish the degree so I will make more concrete plans nearer the time. Thanks for the reply.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't got to Madrid.

It's such a bore compared to many more worthwhile destinations even in Spain.

I hear Barcelona is quite nice. Most anyone I know who has travelled or lived in Spain has said that Madrid was their least favourite city.

I can certainly vouch for Madrid being my least favourite city outside of my current place in Saudi, and I've worked in four thus far!
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Don't got to Madrid.

It's such a bore compared to many more worthwhile destinations even in Spain.

I hear Barcelona is quite nice. Most anyone I know who has travelled or lived in Spain has said that Madrid was their least favourite city.

I can certainly vouch for Madrid being my least favourite city outside of my current place in Saudi, and I've worked in four thus far!

That's where the work is and is a great place if you're a newbie. Madrid is not a bore. It's still one of my favourite places in Spain and I've been all over. We get it that you really hate Madrid!

To the OP, coastal cities are nice but there's less work.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get that the coast pays less. I misread OP's post that he just wanted to get his CELTA cert. If I were gonna stay for a month, I'd rather pick one of those over Madrid is what I meant.

My kvetching aside, to also address the OP's money concerns, Madrid is liveable on about 1000 euro a month. However, you'd want to pick up private classes via the various "Clases Particulares" sites to have extra cash to be able to not feel like you're just scraping by. I had a friend who was making about double her salary from private classes, but she hustled day-in, day-out.

Also, an EU citizen, you should have little trouble finding places to work and visas aren't as crazy strict. You should be fine if you have your heart set on Spain.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyShackleford wrote:
Oh, I get that the coast pays less. I misread OP's post that he just wanted to get his CELTA cert. If I were gonna stay for a month, I'd rather pick one of those over Madrid is what I meant.

My kvetching aside, to also address the OP's money concerns, Madrid is liveable on about 1000 euro a month. However, you'd want to pick up private classes via the various "Clases Particulares" sites to have extra cash to be able to not feel like you're just scraping by. I had a friend who was making about double her salary from private classes, but she hustled day-in, day-out.

Also, an EU citizen, you should have little trouble finding places to work and visas aren't as crazy strict. You should be fine if you have your heart set on Spain.

It certainly is liveable on 1,000 euros a month and I'd have been happy with that when I first went there in 2006 aged 25, but now being similar in age to the OP, I'm not sure I'd want THAT lifestyle again.

Certainly, in the year before I left (2008), I was earning over 2000 a month from working in an academy and doing in-company classes. I also have a late over there now who's earning something like that and not working Fridays. The best thing to do would be to work for an academy and do in-company classes then eventually become self-employed. In-company classes are also much less effort as most students just want to practise speaking. You can get good money without hustling.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Nicky on this one, Madrid is certainly not a bore and a good place to start out. I actually preferred Madrid to Barcelona, but then I might be in the minority on that one. Don’t be too scared about venturing out into other cities (Zaragoza, Valladolid, Valencia and other places further north, don't know too much about the south) but you should be fine starting out in Madrid.

Good luck!
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did mine in IH Barcelona. Solid location, good housing set-up if you want it. Great trainers (though incredibly strict compared to the other class going on at the same time). The class was a bit large and it had to be split into 3 groups of 6 which was odd. But we came together in the end. Beers on the balcony after class was cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: