Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ref Learnship and Berlitz
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mingvase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: ref Learnship and Berlitz Reply with quote

I've got an interview with Learnship this week. They're an online school based in Germany. Anyone know how much they pay? ALso Berlitz are supposed to be getting back to me about working in Germany at one of their schools. I heard they don't pay much-like $11.76 for a 45 minute lesson. That's about £8.
You can get that working in a warehouse in the UK. People must be desperate to work for such a measily sum. Plus renting a room is going to cost about 300Euro a month. You could get away with not paying health insurance I guess. Dunno if you can get away with not paying tax though as a freiberuflicher. Any ideas?
JN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Learnship, but you must have health insurance if you live here in Germany. Anything from the UK does not qualify, from what I've read.
As to whether you can get away with not paying taxes, I'm not sure.

Good luck with getting work.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are bottom-feeder jobs open to would-be teachers without related qualifications. There are tonnes of those around, so no need for these schools to offer better packages.

Yes, you'll be legally required to pay for health insurance.

Why not opt for the warehouse gig?
Mingvase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: ref Reply with quote

So these are bottom line jobs are they for unqualified teachers? How much do the more schools pay then? 20Euro an hour or more I guess. They won't interview me while I am in the UK though. They only seem to have limited hours and you can't sign on the dole in Germany unless you've been working for a year at least. I can't afford to go there without at least 20 hours a week work.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobs in the region aren't usually found from abroad. Stay on the dole in the UK. Rolling Eyes
Mingvase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: ref Reply with quote

How much is it possible to earn then as a Tefler in Germany?
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had specific skills and basic German, €2000 a month in somewhere such as Frankfurt am Main.

As for health insurance, if you're an EU citizen, you might scrape by with an EHIC, but this is a very bad idea indeed and only an option if you're very young and healthy. I wouldn't even know how to begin going to a German GP with just an EHIC, and neither would the receptionist. There are better options which offer decent medical insurance without buying it in Germany, e.g. http://www.alchealth.com, but go through a broker in Germany. It won't cost anymore, and they'll give the right advice.

As for tax, it shouldn't be that huge. Look at the online tax calculator http://www.brutto-netto-rechner.info/. Without wishing to sound holier than thou, it is arrogant to think you can head there and pay no tax. If you only want to stay there for six months, you'll be fine, but do things properly if you stay any longer.
Mingvase

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: ref Reply with quote

2000Euro is fine. I could afford to pay health insurance then. Berlitz said they were going to contact me about work but that was 2 weeks ago now and I'm still waiting. Other companies have stated that I need to be in Germany for them to offer me an interview. I think the only way to get a good-paying employer is to go and live there and build up enough hours freelance. There was a full time contract going in Kiel on tefl.com which I applied for but I haven't heard anything. I think it might have been Inlingua who were advertising that post. I will keep looking.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ref Reply with quote

Bear in mind Berlitz and inlingua are the bottom feeders of European TEFL. Training or support will be non-existent, not that you'd want it from them anyway. If you want some hours and contacts, they'll do in the short term, but that's about it.

Maybe a more happening place than Kiel would be wise. I mentioned Frankfurt as it has the banks, pharmaceuticals and engineering companies. Plus it's easy to get around.
johncoan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mingvase wrote:

I think the only way to get a good-paying employer is to go and live there and build up enough hours freelance

Yup! You need to be there and apply in person, network, acquire a good reputation as a solid, capable, reliable teacher, and gradually work your way into the better hours and jobs. (As, I think, may have already been said.) Very Happy

Hod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Jobs in the region aren't usually found from abroad. Stay on the dole in the UK. Rolling Eyes

There speaks someone living in the EU courtesy of a marriage cert.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, not entirely correct. I was in the Netherlands for 7 years on an exceptional visa based on my qualifications. Yes, though, I do have an EU citizen spouse.

Not sure how my personal status plays in here, though.

And in any case, the OP has no intention of actually working in Germany (or anywhere else outside the UK) based on his posting history. It's very nice of you to try to help him out - but once again, I'll suggest that spending much time on this isn't a useful way to spend your time/energy. Your choice, of course.

Last edited by spiral78 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marriage cert helps too.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't help in the Netherlands. There is no automatic right to work for spouses of EU citizens outside of the citizen's home country. Because my spouse was transferred to Canada three years before my job contract ended (which I didn't renew for numerous reasons), I didn't have even the legal right to live in the Netherlands. I was there for the last three years solely on an exceptional visa on my own creds.
Not that it matters. I've no idea why my personal status in the EU has any relevance here.

I made the comment regarding staying on the dole in the UK because I do in fact feel pretty negative about a would-be EFL teacher immediately concerned about what benefits he can get out of a new country. This kind of attitude makes us all look bad. I doubt I'm alone in my feelings on this.

The OP is a new reincarnation of an older (banned) poster with a history of asking for extensive input on the logistics of living/working in a tremendous variety of countries on at least three continents. He tends to follow up with targeted posters via pm - quite a few of us have been burned by spending a substantial amount of time and energy on this guy.

I myself was targeted vis-a-vis the Czech Republic, down to being asked to help the OP decide which flat on offer to rent. Only to find he was doing exactly the same thing with another poster vis-a-vis France at the very same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: