Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Universities/Schools to work for in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnfriendly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Best Universities/Schools to work for in Kuwait Reply with quote

Hi all,

At the moment I am completing an MA in TESOL. I have the CELTA and 5 years teaching experience. Most of my experience is teaching children.

My fiance is Kuwaiti and we are hoping to relocate there in the next year or so. I am interested in working in a university but scrolling through some previous threads has frightened me somewhat. I don't want to work for a horrible employer.

What are the safest universities to work for in Kuwait?
Also, with an MAin Tesol would it be possible to get work in an international school as well?

Thanks in advance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a list of Kuwaiti universities by doing a wiki search. Check their websites for job ads. Ditto for AMIDEAST Kuwait.

That said, your problem will be your lack of post-MA TESOL teaching experience. Plus, your only experience is with children and not university students. A good university like the American University of Kuwait expects several or more years of relevant experience post-degree. As for international schools, you'll likely need a teaching license. Seriously consider getting one. Anyway, try sites like Seek Teachers and Teach Away.
johnfriendly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nomadsoul.

Which universities are best to avoid?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one one that I can recommend is the American University in Kuwait(AUK) mentioned by NS. While you can try applying, you are unlikely to meet their requirements.

All you can do is apply for any opening that you find searching various university websites, and see if you get any offers. Then do a google search and a search of this website to see the level of awfulness. Seriously, there are very few jobs in Kuwait that most of us would find acceptable. But your situation with a new MA and no experience teaching adults puts you in a situation where you can't be too choosy.

VS
mashkif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Universities/Schools to work for in Kuwait Reply with quote

johnfriendly wrote:
Hi all,

At the moment I am completing an MA in TESOL. I have the CELTA and 5 years teaching experience. Most of my experience is teaching children.

My fiance is Kuwaiti and we are hoping to relocate there in the next year or so. I am interested in working in a university but scrolling through some previous threads has frightened me somewhat. I don't want to work for a horrible employer.

What are the safest universities to work for in Kuwait?
Also, with an MAin Tesol would it be possible to get work in an international school as well?

Thanks in advance!

See another topic in this forum I just posted to for universities' reputation and desirability.

However, as others have observed, without college-grade experience, you'd better set your sights on international and private schools rather than universities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: