Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tough competition out there for the better jobs?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Tough competition out there for the better jobs? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have had three post-interview rejections in the past couple of weeks (1 university position, and 2 private high school positions). Instead of going into one of my long-winded posts, I'll just say that I felt one interview went well, another one very well, and the final one being....odd. I say odd as it appeared as though the interviewers seemed somewhat indifferent the moment I met them (almost unprepared). Who knows, perhaps they had already found their candidates. I ended up initiating most of the questions.

I am an MA TESOL grad, have several years of private school experience (many at the high school level - granted not in Japan), have a TESOL certificate, an IELTS certificate, and good references. I am not discounting that my interview skills are not what I think they are, or perhaps my lack of relevant experience WITH Japanese students (I have only done ALT and eikaiwa in Japan), OR if they just interview a ton of people for one or two openings, and the odds are slim in general. I also don't live in Tokyo, which could be a factor (or not). My Japanese skills are also not so hot.

From those who have a sense of things: just how rough is the competition in Tokyo?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite tough. Also, many of the uni jobs that I knew about went to people who were recommended.
kita

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general impression is that most employers want to hire someone already living in the area. If you are applying for jobs in Tokyo, they will tend to give preference to people already in Tokyo. Given how many people live in Tokyo, even with a strong resume and interview, its a mark against you if you would have to move for the job.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is rough. You need to network. Sometimes if you are not recommended you don't get the job.

The Japanese have a high level of distrust for people, so it helps to be recommended.

When you interview you are not the only person and you do not know how you compare with the others.
Not having prior experience in the position does not help.
It was not easy for me to get my first university job. A teacher quit at the last minute and so I got a job.

Last edited by mitsui on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback. You mentioned the word 'distrust' mitsui. This was definitely a factor with the university interview. I neglected to mention beforehand that I was able to get into my MA program minus a BA (a tactical mistake on my part). I had to fill them in when they inquired about my undergrad, though I don't think they processed much of my explanation - I noticed there were not a lot of smiles from this point on (maybe they even thought I had a dodgy degree). I actually got an email from the foreign side of the interview saying that this - unfortunately - had great influence on his colleagues.

I am definitely having some trouble deciding what to do for the April start. I'm currently - for the most part - enjoying my position/location now, but ALT is not something I want to do for a significant amount of time (I don't look down on it whatsoever, though I am not exactly exploiting my skills/qualifications). Tokyo is a place I have always wanted to give a shot, though I don't think I'd like to make the move for eikaiwa (which I personally did not enjoy) or ALT (unless it was reasonably well-paid).

Wondering if it might be time to jump ship into less competitive waters.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding 'not having experience in the position'. I know you're probably implying experience in the position WITH Japanese students mitsui. Actually my most relevant experience to this job was in Vietnam - where I did work in the private junior/senior high school environment (for a significant period of time). I found it a little disturbing how many of the questions - in the case of two of the interviews - were largely based around my experience in Japan (which is not terribly relevant as far as I'm concerned).

There was definitely some indication that non-Japanese experience is not as highly regarded. Wondering if this is the norm?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost everyone starts at the bottom of the ladder. Within two years you can fill out your week with part-time university work. Most of the teachers that I knew in Tokyo worked their way up to either a full week of classes or a full-time position further down the line.. Even some of the part-time jobs prefer you to have two peer reviewed publications so you need to get yourself organised and take it step by step (doors will open to you if you persevere).
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is competitive.
Two years ago I had an interview for a PART-TIME job at a private high school and after, I was told basically that since I wasn't certified in the US, that my experience at a private high school was not enough, even seven years of working there.
Even though I ran a club and helped with counseling.
That tells you how tough it is now.
The bar keeps getting higher.

With university, one place rejected me in 2014. Turns out that 5 presentations and 5 publications is the minimum needed. I knew that since I knew a woman who had worked there. I did get an interview but got rejected.

Not sure how not having a BA but having a MA would look like.
They might wonder if your resume was correct.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to apply for jobs in Osaka. I never got an interview, maybe since my address is in Kanagawa. So proximity to work does matter.

Some schools have the interview in both languages. If your Japanese is not good enough, sayonara.

Sometimes the problem is that you live to far away from the school.
Maybe they think you would quit after you tire of the commute.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, your replies are greatly appreciated.

I'm considering perhaps a 3 month contract through Westgate, and then taking it from there (that would be assuming they place me somewhere of interest, such at Tokyo). Just one idea. The only issue with that is my visa would expire in the summer.....not sure if they would just give me a fresh one after starting.

Anyways it sounds rough out there. While I like Japan, I do like other places as well, and may consider a hop over to China, Burma, a long haul to South America, or who knows....

In some way, I am a little relieved to here that it's not just me who has had these issues.
RM1983

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What grinds my gears most is they often seem to discount experience not gained in Japan. Special snowflakes that they are.

Honestly, my ALT classes are very similar to what I've done before, just with bigger classes. If anything, the experience here has sent me BACKWARDS teaching wise. My grammar knowledge has gone backwards for starters, and my general sharpness has faded.

However, I've had some joy with this little round of interviews I've done, so there it is. Now I just need to spend enough time undoing all the damage and get back to where I was.

Interviews here are generally a bit weird. I've always thought that. 3 isn't a lot and I was surprised to get 2 offers from the 3 I've done so far. You never know the exact criteria, or at least I don't.

I also think that the Private ALT jobs don't necessarily signify a quality place, they might be working along Interac principles for who they hire. It's the same thing more or less after all. Maybe get a new haircut Wink
RM1983

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to be more direct, I applied to a private ALT company a little while ago and I was notified that over 200 people had applied. So I'm not holding my breath for that. Out of all those people , a good deal are probably as qualified as me or higher and a good portion most likely have better Japanese, which is often a very influential factor.

When they have that many applicants , sometimes I think they struggle to keep up. Some probably just get glossed over and in several I've been to they didn't have the first clue about me. Another recent one was I was asked to send over all sorts of documents, then after that was asked to choose an interview slot. And then nothing....
Shakey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsui is right, the Japanese are distrustful of people. Also, many of the Japanese on hiring committees are incompetent and biased by their irrational prejudices about such things as race, country of origin, whether an applicant's degree was obtained through distance study, and even the name-brand or cachet of an applicant's university.

In my experience, Japanese teachers come up with some pretty bizarre reasons for not hiring good, highly qualified applicants.

Mitsui is also right in that being in the right place at the right time is very important. Many Japanese teachers choose to hire the flakiest of applicants and, as a result, such applicants often flake out and turn the job down at the very last minute. This results in the search committee going back into the pool of possible applicants. That's when one can get lucky.

The phrase, "I'd rather be lucky than qualified" comes to mind here.

Just remember, nothing seems to work like it should here. Even highlyl qualified candidates can't find work in universities. At least not full time or tenured positions.

So, in short, don't take it personally. Japan is a difficult TEFL destination in which to get established, especially at the university level if one does not have any connections.

I've always thought that Canadian women who hold at least a master's degree can use Japan as their personal bank. Same goes for Canadian females in Korea. For some reason, they are the ideal candidates and highly sought after.
Lamarr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that there are many "better" jobs in this line of work. Maybe better money, but the OP's story seems to back up what I've been saying on here that these places generally aren't bothered that much about quality candidates. I could imagine that the first candidates they interview who seem "alright" get the job. Maybe they reason that, because they got their application in first, they're the most organized, keen and determined, and that will do. Or maybe they organize the interview day in alphabetical order, so if your name is Aaron Aardvark, as long as you sit there smiling and genki, and you're grooming is good, you're in.
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes they may want to hurry up and hire the first qualified candidate, just to get it over with.

Other times, no.
You can get asked to send publications then bring them to the interview, then they don't even ask to look at them. Then you find out that you were rejected but they enjoyed talking to you, even though a few people there looked like they would rather get a root canal then have to show up for interviews.

Well I am certified to teach in the US so I can always bail. You need a back up plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: