Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Daily rate for school teachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mingvase

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Daily rate for school teachers Reply with quote

I just had an interview for a job teaching at a school in Japan. The company who interviewed me are called Heart English School and they place teachers into schools throughout Kanto. This is the bit I cut and pasted about the way teachers are paid. It says: Finances

Salaries are paid on the 25th of every month, but the following month. For example,

September’s salary is paid on October 25th. This means that you won’t get your first

paycheck for about 2 months.

Our positions are also paid on a daily rate, meaning that you are only paid for the days

worked. The number of working days each month can vary, and thus your paychecks

month-to-month may also vary. You will always know your schedule or the approximate

number of working days in a contract before you accept a position. Therefore you will be

able to calculate your total salary for the year, but you may need to plan ahead financially

for months when you have few to no working days (*August typically has little to no

working days because it’s summer vacation, and both December and January tend to have

less working days because of winter vacation. Please also note that some positions may

include holidays like Christmas as working days as many holidays like this are not

recognized as national holidays in Japan).

What do people think about this? Should I take the job if offered it? I can't understand why they don't pay holiday pay.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepare to be fleeced, sheep-Sensei.
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heart is by far the worst. They basically said they won't pay you well.And that in aAugust you won't get paid at all.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only on around 250-275,000 a month then you would really be struggling in the holidays. If it is more than that then more workable..
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
If you are only on around 250-275,000 a month then you would really be struggling in the holidays. If it is more than that then more workable..

It's Heart. I bet a good month would be 230k.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mingvase isn't genuine and isn't going there in any case, so no real worries Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

As mingvase (he is also called gamze, old-and-new, and has been elliot_spencer and LV-something in the past):

Supposedly applied for jobs in
France (supposed job offer 16 Feb)
Germany (supposed potential employer told him no 15 Feb)
Hong Kong on 8 Feb
Italy (supposedly had an offer mid Feb)
Japan
Saudi (says he has a PGCE and has worked there before, but on other forums claims to have only a degree in piano performance)
Vietnam (messed up and posted under two different aliases on the same thread)

If you also check the other aliases, this guy has claimed to have job offers in essentially every place in Asia, the ME, and most of Western Europe.

His MO is to ask for lots of detailed info (much of it via pm) and then just drop the conversation, only to pick it up again on some other country forum.

Don't waste your time.

Last edited by spiral78 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
rxk22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Seems like a weirdo. Thanks for the heads up
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well it is weird to get advice for finding a job or about housing when I have lived here for 15 years.
Thanks for telling me what I already know.
Shakey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
As mingvase (he is also called gamze, old-and-new, and has been elliot_spencer and LV-something in the past)

elliot_spencer used to post as vallillo1983. These posts started appearing in 2005. So he's been at this for at least 11 years now.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/search.php?search_author=vallillo1983

If you compare the writing style and the chaotic posting, you can see that elliot_spencer and vallillo1983 are the same person. Sometimes he is gay, and looking for a gay-friendly country, while other times he is married to a Taiwanese woman looking to make a life in Taiwan. And at other times he is teaching in Japan, Taiwan and Italy all at the same time!

Qualifications bounce back and forth between having a degree in TESOL to a CELTA to wanting to do a CELTA to having both a CELTA and a DELTA and I think also having a master's degree. Sometimes he's a 22 year old recent graduate with a B.A. in Italian and other times he's a married 30 year old.

One common theme in his posts are his constant inquiries about the specific details or breakdown of compensation, or sometimes it is insurance or benefits.

Read Dr_Zoidberg's reply to one of his posts here, back in in 2006.

Quote:
Dr_Zoidberg's Reply to Vallill0983: Shane or HESS?

Have you settled on Taiwan, or are you still considering Japan, Korea, Thailand, Canada, Spain ...?

This person has had jobs, interviews or questions about every single country on the entire forum it seems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: