Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amanleyskj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Visa Question Reply with quote

Good morning,

I am in the process now of receiving a visa with the school I have signed a contract to teach with, however another work opportunity has recently presented itself for me here in Japan. There is of course a penalty with the school should I leave before the six-month mark, but I am prepared to pay that next month should I then decide to quit work with the school before effectively starting and pursue other work.

Would this visa be mine to own? And if I do own this still, would the new work that I do be affected by the fact that I have a Humanities Visa?

I am willing to consider making the jump only because I have heard visas are owned and essentially controlled by the person, and not the company that sponsored that person.

Any advice you have on the matter would be welcomed.

Thank you
Lamarr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've got a visa, you've got the visa until it expires. They won't cancel it if you quit your employment. If you tell your employer you're going to quit, I've heard stories of some employers threatening to cancel the visa, contact immigration, get you arrested or thrown out of the country etc., to try and intimidate you out of quitting. You can safely ignore that, they're just empty threats.

The humanities visa covers teaching jobs. If your new employment was in a different field not covered by the humanities visa, then you're officially supposed to get the appropriate visa for the new line of work (e.g. if you got a job as a musician in a band, you'd be supposed to change it to an entertainer's visa). Whether people change fields but manage to continue on the same visa, I wouldn't know.

There's a page on the immigration dept. website that explains all the different types of visas and what kind of work they cover.
amanleyskj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamarr,

I appreciate your thorough answer! I will check the immigration department's website now and check to see under which category I would likely fall.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the penalty?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: