Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a full time contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a specific visa status that qualifies you as a freelancer?

Not sure about Poland, but in the CR I believe it takes at least 90 days to get such a work permit - it won't help you in your short term situation.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Starting your own company and invoicing and getting an account? Doesn't that get you into a whole new world of pain with zameldowanias, kartas, PESEL and NIP being required etc?
NIP and PESEL you can get in an afternoon. Zameldowania (registering your address) is a different story: his landlord would have to do that for him, and most won't be willing because it makes it difficult to evict. This will shoot down the Airbnb idea.

Getting the work permit, as well as several other documents, together to apply for the karta pobytu (residency card) will take a few months at minimum. And by that time he'll be getting ready to split. He may well not even be in the country to collect the residency card when it's finally ready.

I hate to agree with dragonpiwo on this, but the starting a company route just doesn't seem worth the trouble for a semester. It's kinda like going through all the trouble of getting a pilot's license in order to fly a buddy's Cessna 1 time.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of January 1st this year, zameldowanias are no longer required for anything in Poland. I help people to set up business and get registered sometimes. They do not need to produce anything more than a rental contract. Also, they do not need a work permit, no one ever has. Just a contract with a school they are working for or any contract, really as long as they can show that they have enough hours and money each month. This is accurate as of last week Smile
Louisdf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
It's true about the traveling. This being said, it's up to you to not take classes which put you on one end of town then have you wasting sometimes hours running to the other. Pick an area (usually the center) and refuse to take things that are out of a certain range, check transport, do buses, trams or subways go every couple of minutes or, like, once every 20 minutes?--this can have a major impact on how you get around. Schools may try to tell you things like, oh, it only takes 15 minutes to get there but in reality it may take an hour.

If you just stick to the centre, chances are you will just get 60 or 90 minute classes at either 7AM or 5PM.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickc88 wrote:
Got it. So it sounds like I just need to ask if they mean full time in terms of a full time contract with a guaranteed monthly salary VS. insinuating full time hours with travel around the city and no actual contractual agreement? And in that case I would invoice them for the hours?

"With a full-time contract, the notice period also needs to be long (generally at least 30 days)."

Do you mean the notice to start, or the notice when you quit?

Also, when you talk about paying your own social security tax if you don't have a full time salaried contract, you basically mean reporting your taxes after the quarter? Like the same as if you were a 1099 freelance worker in the US?

No you must report every month. Irrespective of how little or much you earn you will pay 420PLN in social security contributions and approx 150-190PLN for an accountant. You will then pay 19% tax on your income (the amount of your income minus your costs ie. social security/accountant fee/part of your rent if you have a rental contract/internet and phone bills) Essentially if you earn 5000PLN gross, unless you have huge costs (ie. you buy a new laptop) you will probably net just under 4000PLN. If you have a quiet month (like in December) and earn 3000PLN gross you would be looking at netting 2000PLN.
It is a lot worse than in the US/UK, you must pay 420PLN in social security every month you make money. Tax is also 19% and the tax free amount you get every year is one of the smallest in Europe (3000PLN).
Of course, as you are not an employee of any of the schools, you are not covered by their liability insurance. If you have an accident whilst on the way to or in the school/student's office, it's your problem to get treatment and cover your costs while you cannot work. You would not be elegible for any out of work benefits (not that they would amount to anything anyway).
Once you have factored in your airfare (at least 2/3 of what you would earn in a month here), if you will just come for 6 months chances are you will need to spend your own money to move to Poland. Even if you work for a year, again when factoring in your airfare, you would save very little-nothing.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

But he might win the lottery on the love front.

Another guy bamboozled by the beauties. Smile.

So few women on this forum or indeed in the schools. I wonder why.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I was just doing privates and didn't move from the area around the central train station, just sitting in coffee shops all day. I only took people who could fit my schedule, lots of people with jobs with irregular hours, medical people, rich (semi)retired people. If you stick to it you can create a schedule which suits you. If someone asks you if you can come to the end of Pulawska for a 7:00 a.m. class just say "no" but I can meet you at 10:00 at Starbucks, if you're good, and they can possibly do it, they will, if not, oh well.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used to string together a few private lessons in a row at a Costa Coffee on Nowy Swiat in Warsaw.

If they turned up for lessons, it was good money for very little prep work. The problem was they often didn't. Then I had to sit there for 60-90 min sipping coffee and planning my other lessons (I can think of worse fates).

I found that the people who pay for private lessons are often the pretentious, hopeless or awkward types who can't seem to progress in normal group lessons. But I did teach several pleasant housewives whose husbands were kind enough to pay for a 20-something foreign dude to come and chat with their wives while they were away at work.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. The Shake is always a consummate professional.

Though personally, I'd encourage my wife to take up knitting instead.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd also rather knit for fun and profit than teach a lot of private lessons. Wink
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisdf wrote:
the notice period also needs to be long (generally at least 30 days).

3 months in my case, and it's 3 full calendar months. All by law, and is clearly one of the huge drawbacks of working on a real umowa o prace.

No matter how nice the job is, there's something quite infuriating about being tied into such a long notice period.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But easy to get out of in different ways. If you can get them to agree to let you go earlier (in both your best interests) then sign an annex. Otherwise, tell them you're going to a competing outfit and try to get yourself on gardening leave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: