Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tattoos and image

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpmonkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Tattoos and image Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering about the general stance of tattoos in SE Asia. The exposed ones I have are on my forearm and ankle. Should I not reveal them at all or should I reveal them after I have made an impression already?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of where in the world you teach, I suggest you cover your tattoos with clothing or concealer until you've been hired and have checked out the workplace culture. Just because a country's culture may be tolerant of ink in general, it doesn't mean a particular recruiter or employer isn't.

That said, if you show your tattoos up front and get hired, then they're not an issue.

It's your call.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from Nomad Soul. A good first impression is important most anywhere in the world in nearly all industries/sectors.

Having said that though, tattoos are much more accepted on women nowadays, especially in Vietnam. Thailand is still pretty conservative regarding female teachers in terms of dress and appearance though.

This is a pretty old thread but can give you a glimpse into the situation. Also, if anything, Thailand is now more conservative these days as it is currently under a military government.

Anyway, have a look:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=76893&highlight=tatoo

Last edited by sigmoid on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question you'd really need to ask yourself is: "Am I willing to cover my tattoos while at work, if offered a job that I really want?" How important are your tattoos to you in terms of showing them?

Additionally, be sure your inked images --- the designs themselves --- aren't culturally offensive, especially if you plan to publicly show them. What may be fine in Canada might have the opposite effect in other cultures.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good point. Tattoos of the Buddha, Buddhist iconography or images are NOT really that well received in Buddhist countries, especially Thailand and Myanmar.

7 tattoos that could get you in serious trouble

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/18/7-tattoos-that-could-get-you-in-serious-trouble-5571670/

Angelina Jolie's tattoo is angering Buddhists
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/05/16/angelina-jolie-s-tattoo-is-angering-buddhists/21184110/

Sri Lanka to deport British tourist over Buddha tattoo
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/22/sri-lanka-deport-british-tourist-buddha-tattoo

Canadian's Buddha tattoos get him kicked out of Burma

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canadian-jason-polley-s-buddha-tattoos-get-him-kicked-out-of-burma-1.2728421
fpmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input.

I have no problem covering my tattoos but it would obviously be better if I didn't have to, especially in a hot climate like SE Asia. I am only concerned about issues arising if I do end up showing my tattoos. I guess I will have to assess the situation after I get there to really know, to see if other teachers have any tattoos as well.

The link to the troubling tattoos is very useful. Thankfully my tattoos are in no way related to any type of cultural iconography.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: