Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Owmega requiring references for KSU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Owmega requiring references for KSU Reply with quote

The worst and the laziest now haughtily requiring only "the best" (those lucky enough to actually get a reference from a Saudi). What the crazies probably want is letters of reference from each and every place you taught in Asia. These mindless government dictates keep getting worse and worse and keep victimizing good teachers. Prospective job seekers stay away from Saudi Arabia. Too many problems: weird visa requirements thrown at you, after you've already paid for everything. If you make it thru to a visa after spending all the cash, Ali Baba sitting in your class, doesn't like your teaching, so you last a month. If you last, you need references (sometimes written) from some of the most botched and bungled people on the earth
bertonneau

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: the serious degredation has begun Reply with quote

Yup, Im hearing various stories of new BS things that are coming up. Im sure that all this will do coupled with higher prices for everything which has already started is drive out more expats Western ones at least to seek other places. It's been an ok run over here but it's only going to get worse and your blurb is just one of many things starting to happen that will simply drive expats on to the next although a little lower paid place.
murray1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give you a heads up. I have been waiting for two plus months for a visa issuance number to complete my work employment visa to head over. I am Canadian so apparently it takes longer.
RustyShackleford

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a pretty penny for my visa, all told (about $1200!!), but the company I've been contracted with has been alright thus far. Didn't have to do any letters of recommendation. After jumping through all the hoops and mailing off the application, the agency got my employment visa in less than two days.

That said, I would advise people to tread very carefully when getting hired out here. Lots of snakes and shaky deals. From all I read here, I realise more and more just how damn lucky I got.
In the heat of the moment

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But once you arrive, think of the benefits! Culture! Countryside! Social activities! Civilisation! Humanity! Great (n/a) beers! Art! Healthy food! Amazing architecture! Interesting piles of rubble on every street! Friendly government! Efficient services! Amazing museums! International food markets! I could go on...
adventious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the heat of the moment wrote:
But once you arrive, think of the benefits! Culture! Countryside! Social activities! Civilisation! Humanity! Great (n/a) beers! Art! Healthy food! Amazing architecture! Interesting piles of rubble on every street! Friendly government! Efficient services! Amazing museums! International food markets! I could go on...
You've busted my sarcasm meter.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read thru the Saudi advertisements I am constantly reminded how the Saudis do not understand the smallest intricacies of education. In their need to bring some life to their sham educational system they cling to simple educational words thinking that using these will provide some semblance of quality. Although they use the terms BA and BS in terms of confidence in one area and another, the difference between the two is only that a BS is more rigorous than a BA. They only hire humanities graduates, humanities can mean history, sociology, psychology, anthropology. What does that have to do with English any more than engineering, biology, chemistry etc.. I am sure they will continue to insist on only BA's with at least a humanities degree.

Do our special friends Laughing the Saudis ever read Dave's?
izmigari

Location: Rubbing shoulders with the 8-Ball in the top left pocket

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They only hire humanities graduates...

The humanity...the humanity... Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
Although they use the terms BA and BS in terms of confidence in one area and another, the difference between the two is only that a BS is more rigorous than a BA.

Not really true of the US. The terms are pretty much interchangeable. (same as there is little or no difference between "college" or "university") I suspect that the fact that so many Saudis studied in the US may mean that they also interchange the terms.

My secondary education degree (majors English and Business) is a BSc.

VS
gregory999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am constantly reminded how plumpy do not understand the difference between BA and BS, and always plumps up his posts with hot air. Laughing

Quote:
Although they use the terms BA and BS in terms of confidence in one area and another, the difference between the two is only that a BS is more rigorous than a BA. They only hire humanities graduates, humanities can mean history, sociology, psychology, anthropology. What does that have to do with English any more than engineering, biology, chemistry etc..

The critical differences between a BA degree and a BS degree are the ancillary courses that are taken.
The BA degree is often mistakenly thought to be exclusively for a humanities major such as history, literature or philosophy, but a BA can also indicate a science major such as psychology, biology or physics.

The defining characteristic of a BA degree is that it requires a core curriculum in the humanities and social sciences. A student pursuing a BA will have more freedom to explore disciplines outside his/her major field.
https://www.universitylanguage.com/guides/ba-bs-degree/

BA (Hons) English
https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/courses/ba-hons-english
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: