Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brexit begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
What there is, is only appalling ignorance, lack of Western moral imperatives, and lack of understanding of what it takes to improve human existence and make a country work. Those qualities are more likely to occur in people found in the non-Western European parts of the world.

Now I'm curious. What qualities are we talking about here?
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just had a quick scan of the last dozen pages or so, the real stuff does not really start til post vote page 21,anything before that is well,,,, just speculation,, and people reporting what the media has already stated. Now I am curious about how many of the current posters are in fact Brits, which way they would have voted (if they had the chance) and why?
Personally, as a fellow Brit to Graham I would have voted to LEAVE without any hesitation,despite the fact I have spent the last 2 decades living OUTSIDE the EU in a country that has been trying to join this elite club for longer than any other current member, they want in, 17 million of my fellow countrymen and woman want out!
Although I have made frequent trips back to the UK during my time here I had not, until earlier this year, realized or witnessed the depth of dismay or helplessness about how the British way of life is being controlled by nameless, faceless Euro fat-cats based in Brussels, this people are not held accountable for the directives they impose on UK citizens. Poor old David, bless him, was the only one who had the balls and backbone to do what he did, he gambled and lost.
Now, despite the fact that this was a proper legal and democratic process, there is a movement to override this decision, in addition Scotland, will take another vote about remaining as part of the UK, what do they think they have that the EU might want from them, haggis and kilts?
Until such time as the new Prime Minister invokes article 50, NOTHING will change, so keep calm, don't get in a flap, the real cow pat is coming when Scotland does decide to leave the UK and join that failed project!
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otterman Ollie wrote:
Now, despite the fact that this was a proper legal and democratic process, there is a movement to override this decision,

In the middle of May, Farage said: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way" and said he'd fight for a second referendum in those circumstances. Now the result has gone his way, he's gone strangely quiet. He's also admitted that the 350m NHS pledge was a lie. So, while I don't agree with them, I can see why people are calling for it.

Otterman Ollie wrote:
Until such time as the new Prime Minister invokes article 50, NOTHING will change, so keep calm, don't get in a flap, the real cow pat is coming when Scotland does decide to leave the UK and join that failed project!

A lot will change. Markets hate uncertainty and people thinking of investing in the UK will be put off until they know exactly what they're investing in. Shockingly, there doesn't seem to be any real exit plan. Cameron had previously said that if the vote was to leave, he'd trigger Article 50 the morning after. Instead, we have both main parties busy with internal squabbling. Meanwhile, on the other side, the EU are getting their demands in first, as any good negotiator would.

I predicted way back in this thread that the most likely outcome will be a Swiss/Norway EU-lite package for the UK. A substantial minority of leavers also argued for that without pointing out what it means: free movement remains, the UK continues to pay into the EU budget (though approx. 50% of what it does now) and still has to follow EU law in most areas (agriculture, security and foreign policy being the main exceptions.) If, in a few years' time, people find immigration hasn't changed, they're still paying into the EU and Germany&France in many areas have *more* not less influence on British law (as the UK won't be in the EU to shape those laws) I think a lot of people will be very unhappy and feel they've been sold a dud.
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
Give it a week to settle down and all will be well. There'll always be an England.

And so much for the "polls".

Global Markets Rise as Brexit Worries Ease

http://www.wsj.com/articles/global-markets-rise-as-brexit-worries-ease-1467185655

Global Markets Rise as Brexit Worries Ease
Some relief as fears U.K. vote could disrupt the world economy recede

By GEORGI KANTCHEV
Updated June 29, 2016 7:50 a.m. ET
16 COMMENTS
Global markets gained Wednesday, extending a broad-based relief rally as fears receded that the U.K.’s referendum vote to leave the European Union last week could disrupt the world economy.

U.S. futures markets pointed to a 0.5% opening gain for the S&P 500, rising in tandem with markets from London to Tokyo. Changes in futures aren’t necessarily reflected in market moves after the opening bell.

European shares rose across the board, with the Stoxx Europe 600 advancing 2.1% in Europe, led by financial and energy stocks. London’s FTSE 100 rose by 2% and is now higher than at the start of the year.

The pound, which was in the firing line after the so-called Brexit vote, rose by 0.7% against the dollar in volatile trading. The British currency had on Monday fallen to a 31-year low against the greenback. The euro edged up by 0.02% against the buck.

The market gains follow the tumultuous aftermath of the Brexit vote that saw global shares and sterling plunge as investors feared it would herald slower global growth and extend the period of ultralow interest rates. Political uncertainty in Britain, where Prime Minister David Cameron resigned after the referendum, increased the jitters.

Andrew Sheets, chief cross-asset strategist at Morgan Stanley, said that after the initial market rout, investors are now gauging the risks to be lower than during the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy that unleashed the financial crisis in 2008 or at the height of the European debt crisis.

“People are starting to take stock that this is more country-specific and is not affecting markets everywhere,” he said. “So far, it doesn’t appear to be a big risk to global growth.”

Still, Mr. Sheets cautioned that some assets, including European shares, could have further to fall due to the continuing political and economic uncertainty in Britain.

“The U.K. voted for an exit without having a clear exit plan,” Mr. Sheets said. He expects the pound to fall to a trading range of $1.25 to $1.30 and European equities to fall 5% to 7% before they become attractive for investors.

British Prime Minister David Cameron leaves a news conference during a European Union summit on Tuesday. ENLARGE
British Prime Minister David Cameron leaves a news conference during a European Union summit on Tuesday. PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
Politics will again take center stage in Europe today, as EU leaders continue to debate the implications of Brexit at a summit in Brussels. The leaders are meeting without the U.K. for the first time in more than four decades. On Tuesday, they told Mr. Cameron there would be no special deals for ex-members of the bloc.

With Britain’s political situation much in flux, investors say that uncertainty will continue to weigh on markets.

“We don’t have the clarity that we need—we don’t know who U.K.’s Prime Minister will be, we don’t know who will negotiate with the EU, we just have more questions than answers,” said Stephen Macklow-Smith, Head of European Equities Strategy at J.P. Morgan Asset Management.

Some investors, however, are banking that the Brexit impact beyond Europe’s shores will be limited.

“Of course, the volatility out of Europe makes us worried, but so far the real economic impact is difficult to gauge,” said Mike Baele, senior portfolio manager at U.S. Bank Wealth Management, which oversees $133 billion in assets. He added that recent U.S. data has been strong, alleviating worries about the world’s biggest economy.

Mr. Sheets of Morgan Stanley said that U.S. and Chinese data now becomes even more important to investors. “If data there continues to come in strong, Brexit will be seen as a more localized event,” he said.

U.S. gross domestic product rose 1.1% in the first quarter, the Commerce Department said Tuesday. That was more than the initial estimate of 0.8% growth. The U.S. will report monthly jobs numbers next week.

Many investors now expect major central banks to act to counter a potential drag on the global economy after the Brexit vote, with some predicting rate cuts from the Bank of England and further stimulus from the European Central Bank. Market participants also see the Brexit vote as derailing the U.S. Federal Reserve’s plans to raise interest rates this year.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told his finance minister and the central bank chief to take any “necessary measures” to support the economy and financial markets, signaling his vigilance over the yen’s resurgence following the U.K. vote.

Asian markets rallied on Wednesday, with the Nikkei Stock Average closing up 1.6% and Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index finishing up 1.3%.

The WSJ Dollar Index, which measures the greenback against a basket of other currencies, was down around 0.2%. The yen was broadly flat against the dollar at $102.7.

Oil prices rose, with Brent, the global price gauge, up 0.7% at $49.61 a barrel, supported by the weaker dollar and the threat of union strikes in Norway. Gold also rose, by 0.3%, to $1,321.3 a troy ounce.

—Takashi Nakamichi contributed to this article.

Write to Georgi Kantchev at [email protected]
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: European SUPERSTATE to be unveiled Reply with quote

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/683739/EU-referendum-German-French-European-superstate-Brexit

So, if successful, Merkel will have achieved one of Hitler's dreams, united Europe under German control.

If this comes to pass, more EU members may be considering leaving.

Now, where did I put my flame proof asbestos suit?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Germans have hardly been following Hitler's wishes
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
The Germans have hardly been following Hitler's wishes

Agreed. And I think, per Godwin's law, once you start bringing a regime that died before all of this forum were born into it, you've lost the plot a little. When Herr Merkel declares a desire for Lebensraum, Germany to be Judenfrei and invades Norway, France, Poland and Russia, I'll willingly concede I was wrong.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jonniboy,

" . . . once you start bringing a regime that died before all of this forum were born into it , , , ,

Ahem, born 1943 - but not born into this forum. Very Happy

Regards,
Geezer John
wangdaning

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear jonniboy,

" . . . once you start bringing a regime that died before all of this forum were born into it , , , ,

Ahem, born 1943 - but not born into this forum. Very Happy

Regards,
Geezer John

I think he meant the forum was born into the myth he mentioned.
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking more at this:

Quote:
Herr Merkel

Question

twowheel
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
I was looking more at this:

Quote:
Herr Merkel

Question

twowheel

Yep. Herr Merkel, as in she who wears the trousers and tells the boys what to do.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanophobia is never far away in Dear Old England.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, you try to conquer the world a couple of times, and they NEVER let you forget it. Very Happy

Regards,
John
wangdaning

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Britain never did anything like that, no no no, most peaceful nation on earth Laughing
btsmrtfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
Yep, Britain never did anything like that, no no no, most peaceful nation on earth Laughing

Speaking of which, July 4th is fast approaching. Wink
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: