Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan Universities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saudi Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Taiwan Universities Reply with quote

Coming to the end of my current contract in the Middle East, a colleague advised me to consider applying for a teaching position at a university in Taiwan. Therefore, what are the best universities to work for in Taiwan and what sort of a salary and benefits can one expect?
I'm British with 20 years teaching experience, an MA in Applied Linguistics and a DELTA. I specialize in EAP at tertiary level.

I'd appreciate any advice. Many thanks.
markcmc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why your colleague recommended teaching at a university in Taiwan. The salaries are low for the qualifications required – perhaps around NT$55,000 to NT$60,000 a month. You'll normally have to teach about 4 days a week and will get about 3 months paid holidays a year.

Many universities want teachers to have a PhD (although they'll pay a little more for this). The main problem is the dropping birthrate. Some foreign language departments have already closed, and it's getting harder finding work. It's still possible, but hard. Many lecturers fear for their jobs and more universities are asking teachers to do summer courses and to help with recruitment.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcmc wrote:
I don't know why your colleague recommended teaching at a university in Taiwan. The salaries are low for the qualifications required – perhaps around NT$55,000 to NT$60,000 a month. You'll normally have to teach about 4 days a week and will get about 3 months paid holidays a year.

Yes, I agree. No one who is qualified would think of looking for work in the tertiary sector in Taiwan. Stay in Saudi or apply to other places in the Middle East. There are many opportunities for example in the UAE.
Saudi Archer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Markcmc and romanworld,
I will take your advice and stay well clear. My colleague is obviously misinformed.

Thanks once again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: