Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to move to Latin Am. and looking for advice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cegwriter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Looking to move to Latin Am. and looking for advice! Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I've been perusing the forums and learning a lot. Here's my situation:

So I've been looking for a change of both career and geography. A couple years ago I became fascinated with the literature and history of Latin America (particularly of Chile, Argentina, Colombia, and Mexico). Then I started studying Spanish on my own just over a year ago and have been taking lessons since last fall. It wasn't until I started taking lessons with my Spanish teacher that I really thought teaching English as a second language could be an awesome career path. I love the nuts and bolts of language!

Who am I?
29 yr old US citizen living in a big midwestern city.

My experience/qualifications
-BA in Classical Studies (studied Latin and Ancient Greek language as well as ancient Roman/Greek literature, history culture)
-MFA in Writing
-3 years experience working in a massive downtown public library as a library assistant (picture librarian-lite--customer service, research, reference, circulation, lots of the same job tasks, but less responsibility and no librarian degree)
-5 years teaching English at universities (college composition and creative writing) as both Graduate Instructor during my MFA degree (big public university) and Adjunct Professor (small private university)

Current plan
-Save up the money for the CELTA course in Santiago, Bogotá, Mexico City, or Buenos Aires. (including two months of living expenses--one month to complete the course, another to try and find employment)
-Attempt to teach in one of above-mentioned cities (or elsewhere in Latin America)

My questions
-Do you think this is a viable plan? If I should change this, how so?
-What sort of teaching opportunities do you think I would have access to in the above-mentioned cities/countries or in other places in the region?
-What are the hours per week and wages for the kinds of positions I'd be qualified for? (the research I've done is all over the map)

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you might have!!!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, cegwriter!

I suggest posting this in the General Latin America forum below.

Of the locations you mention, Mexico, Colombia, and Chile have more robust markets for EFL teachers than does Argentina. But my limited first-hand experience in Latin America was quite a few years ago. Those with more current experience will no doubt chime in.

cegwriter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I'll post over in the Latin America forum as well. Thanks!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Save up the money for the CELTA course in Santiago, Bogotá, Mexico City, or Buenos Aires. (including two months of living expenses--one month to complete the course, another to try and find employment)

I just spotted this. I'd suggesting bumping up the savings to include three months living expenses--two months post CELTA, one to find employment, and one to collect your first paycheck. Chances are you may not need that entire first month to secure a job, but better to be safe. Also, it is frequently suggested that a teacher heading to Latin America have an additional amount set aside as an emergency fund. The Latin America regulars will be able to recommend specific amounts for you. Smile

BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:

I just spotted this. I'd suggesting bumping up the savings to include three months living expenses--two months post CELTA, one to find employment, and one to collect your first paycheck. Chances are you may not need that entire first month to secure a job, but better to be safe. Also, it is frequently suggested that a teacher heading to Latin America have an additional amount set aside as an emergency fund. The Latin America regulars will be able to recommend specific amounts for you. Smile

I was just going to say the same thing, three months would probably be a better cushion. In Mexico City, at least, you will likely find a job within days, at least a part time job. It is pretty easy to find on site business classes, there is a lot of demand, and not enough teachers to go around. Pay is in the 200 peso per hour range, but can be more depending on how far you have to travel. Rent will depend on whether you want to live along, with a room mate, or rent a room in someone's home. You can find what is called a "cuarto de azotea" - basically the Mexican equivilent of a studio apartment in the US - a bedroom sized room, small kitchen and bathroom - for fairly cheap, even in trendy areas, and you can typically use the rest of the roof as a patio. Rent can vary from 2500 pesos on up, depending on what kind of living situation you want. You might plan to stay at a Hostal when you arrive so you can look around and decide where you want to live. You can save a bit of money in a Hostal too, as many have cooking facilities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: