Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American student held in PRK confesses to 'hostile act'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreign travel should be undertaken with due care and diligence.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is extremely naïve for an American to go to North Korea with their past history of unproven accusations and imprisoning American tourists. If any American decides to go there lots of luck.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voyagerksa wrote:
It is extremely naïve for an American to go to North Korea with their past history of unproven accusations and imprisoning American tourists. If any American decides to go there lots of luck.

Bring a Rodman shirt with you and don't try to steal anything and you'll be fine!
But all joking aside, I agree, if I was from the US I wouldn't dream of going to NK! Why would anyone want to go to NK anyway? To see see a badly acted show?
steki47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getbehindthemule wrote:
Why would anyone want to go to NK anyway?

I assume there is a taboo appeal for some. I don't see it. NK seems like a dull vacation.

Other people think he deserved it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/professor-otto-warmbier-deserved-article-1.3274691

Quote:
A part-time University of Delaware professor is facing backlash for saying former North Korea prisoner Otto Warmbier “got exactly what he deserved.”

MOD EDIT
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
getbehindthemule wrote:
Why would anyone want to go to NK anyway?

I assume there is a taboo appeal for some. I don't see it. NK seems like a dull vacation.

Other people think he deserved it.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/professor-otto-warmbier-deserved-article-1.3274691

Quote:
A part-time University of Delaware professor is facing backlash for saying former North Korea prisoner Otto Warmbier “got exactly what he deserved.”

MOD EDIT

Exactly and not as if you're going to see the real NK anyway as it is blocked off from visitors! And to go there to try and sneak a glimse of the real NK or to perform cowboy stunts (such as stealing) is just silly or for those with a deathwish imo!
Knedliki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just have a naive view of the world. They think Uncle Sam will look after them wherever they are or whatever stupid act they are carrying out.
I've met people who bragged about how they had taken drugs across various borders in Asia, saying how there was no way they'd ever get caught. Despite signs at immigration warning about the death penalty for such things.

Just give them a Darwin Award and wait for the next one to come along.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U.S. State Department to clamp ban on travel to North Korea
By Y. Torbati & S Young Lee, Reuters | July 21, 2017
Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-tours-idUSKBN1A60SE

WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - The U.S. government on Friday said it will bar Americans from traveling to North Korea due to the risk of "long-term detention" in the country, where a U.S. student was jailed while on a tour last year and later died.

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has authorized a "Geographical Travel Restriction" on Americans to forbid them from entering North Korea, spokeswoman Heather Nauert said. "Once in effect, U.S. passports will be invalid for travel to, through and in North Korea, and individuals will be required to obtain a passport with a special validation in order to travel to or within North Korea," Nauert said. "The move was due to "mounting concerns over the serious risk of arrest and long-term detention under North Korea's system of law enforcement," she said.

Otto Warmbier, a 22-year-old American was sentenced last year to 15 years hard labor in North Korea for trying to steal a propaganda sign while on a tourist visit. He returned to the United States in a coma on June 13 after being released on humanitarian grounds and died June 19. The circumstances surrounding his death are not clear, including why he fell into a coma. North Korea has said through its state media that Warmbier's death was "a mystery" and dismissed accusations that he had died as a result of torture and beating in captivity. North Korea is currently holding two Korean-American academics and a missionary, a Canadian pastor and three South Korean nationals who were doing missionary work. Japan says North Korea has also detained at least several dozen of its nationals.

It was not known how many Americans were currently in North Korea and the State Department said it was not its practice to give numbers of U.S. citizens living in or travelling to a particular country. U.S. officials say North Korea will become the only country in the world Americans are banned from visiting. The department said it plans to publish a notice in the Federal Register next week, starting a 30-day clock before the restriction takes effect, Nauert said. She said Americans who wanted to travel to North Korea "for certain limited humanitarian or other purposes" could apply for special passports to do so.

North Korea allows foreign tourists to visit but their travel is strictly limited. Hundreds of Americans are among the roughly 4,000 to 5,000 Western tourists who visit North Korea each year, according to U.S. Representative Joe Wilson, a Republican from South Carolina. This year, Wilson introduced a bill with Democratic Representative Adam Schiff to ban Americans from travelling to North Korea as tourists, following the detention of at least 17 U.S. citizens in the past decade. Anthony Ruggiero, a senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies and former U.S. Treasury official, said the State Department action was important as it would limit North Korea's ability to use detained Americans as bargaining chips with Washington as it has in the past.

Tom Bodkin, managing director of the UK-based adventure travel company, Secret Compass, said the travel ban was "a bit of a shame." "Travel between different cultures breaks down the preconceptions that you have about different cultures and breaks down the stereotypes that you have," he said. Secret Compass has brought three Americans among the 19 people it took to North Korea since launching tours there last fall, he said.

U.S. Army veteran Brian Sayler, 40, who traveled to North Korea for six days in May, said he opposed the pending ban. “We’re telling our own people, essentially, you can’t go where you want to go, I don’t really understand it,” said Sayler, a resident of West Pittston, Pennsylvania, who works as a police officer for the Department of Veterans Affairs.

(End of article)
reblair79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with a travel ban.

People should be allowed to go there and see for themselves what the country is like rather be told what it is like by a mainstream media which has zero credibility due to their use of propaganda to promote their political agendas.

Obviously if someone decides to go then they should be going armed with common sense and a huge amount of knowledge and research about potential risks.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reblair79, you are not alone in this thought, I am with you and the police officer in the last quote is with you too.
Marinx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It costs the government a lot of money if they need to fight for the release of a citizen.

I don't think I want my taxes going toward something that so easily could have been averted in the first place.

Oh yeah, then there's the issue of the needless suffering and dying. Maybe that's a factor too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: