Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Scholar" categories at Chinese Universities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: "Scholar" categories at Chinese Universities Reply with quote

I understand that this is probably less relevant for most English teachers, but I wonder if some of you have more knowledge about all this.

http://www.acabridge.cn/include/acabridge/jobs/engdwywm

What are the differences between a regular English teacher, a (Yunshan) scholar, a foreign expert and a guest professor (all those are mentioned on the page).
Only the top of the tops -Universities have this program? Or only a Guangdong thing? How hard/impossible is it to get such a position as a foreigner, or are those only meant for people like the president of the US?
The salaries are outstanding, almost 8000 USD per month for the Yunshan leading scholar.

The Chinese I asked couldn't really explain this to me.

Last edited by tyroleanhat on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more info from their wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guangdong_University_of_Foreign_Studies

Teaching Staff
By the statistical figure given in October 2014, the university has 1154 full-time teachers, including 240 full professors, 358 associate professors, 48 PhD supervisors, 338 MA/MS supervisors,10 teachers entitled to a special government allowance granted by the State Council, 3 teachers chosen as the leading figure in their disciplines in the national ambitious talent training program(by 2010,the country hopes to turn out several hundred outstanding scientists, engineers and theorists that can shine in the world of science and technology, several thousand pace-setters in their disciplines and technological fields in the country, and several ten thousand young scholars of great potentials that can lead their disciplines), 1 middle-aged teacher cited for his outstanding contribution, 13 teachers chosen as candidates for the elite talents supported by the Ministry of Education, 2 state-level teaching teams, 7 province-level teaching teams, and 1 state-level renowned teacher, 4 teachers included in the province-level Pearl River Scholars Program, 1 teacher chosen as a candidate for the national ambitious talent training program, 44 teachers chosen as candidates for Guangdong’s ambitious talent training program(1n 1996, the Department of Education initiated a project to train 10 scholars that can exert influence on the domestic and overseas academic world, 100 original academic pace-setters in their respective disciplines, and 1000 leading scholars of potentials),7 chosen as candidates for Guangdong Outstanding Young Teachers Program,14 teachers having received financial support from Guangdong Talents Program, 11 teachers having won financial support from Guangdong Special Fund for Bringing in Talents, 42 teachers included in the university-level Yunshan Scholars Program.
Since the start of the 12th Five-Year Plan (2011), the university has won 7 state-level key research programs in humanities and social sciences, ranking the 4th after Sun Yatsen University, Jinan University, and South China Normal University. Besides, it has captured more than 500 research programs financed by governments at different levels, including 7 state-level major programs, 4 state-level key programs, and about 80 other state-level programs, with the research fund totaling more than 30,000,000 yuan. In addition, the teachers have published more than 200 monographs and 3000 academic papers, 200 of which are included in the leading Chinese and overseas journals, and secured more than 30 awards at the province- and the ministry- level.

The University’s Foreign Teachers
In 2014, the school employed more than 220 long-term and short-term foreign teachers.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is something they personally made up.
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may have made up the names for those scholars, but this development is happening all over China, from what I gathered in similar ads - seeking high-talent employees with appropriate high salary. I was wondering if that would apply only for research professors, or could be applicable also for an English teacher (with PhD) or in my case, a musician (with PhD)
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyroleanhat wrote:
I was wondering if that would apply only for research professors, or could be applicable also for an English teacher (with PhD) or in my case, a musician (with PhD)

Not surprising, music (piano performance) is taught in Chinese via the College of Art. See Guangdong University of Foreign Studies' list of programs.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyroleanhat wrote:
They may have made up the names for those scholars, but this development is happening all over China, from what I gathered in similar ads - seeking high-talent employees with appropriate high salary. I was wondering if that would apply only for research professors, or could be applicable also for an English teacher (with PhD) or in my case, a musician (with PhD)

You care to share all of the adverts?
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wangdaning wrote:
tyroleanhat wrote:

I can send you the list of links I collected, which had a vacancy in my job field posted
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyroleanhat wrote:
wangdaning wrote:
tyroleanhat wrote:

I can send you the list of links I collected, which had a vacancy in my job field posted

But again, instruction is likely to be in Chinese, especially since your field is related to music skills and not to an academic subject.

Also, per the link you provided, the following description for Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, College of Art, doesn't appear to be aimed at foreign applicants:

Quote:
3.Holds doctorate, major is related to piano performance and teaching, a leader in the field, academic rank is Associate Professor or above, received provincial piano awards, preferably studied overseas.
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
tyroleanhat wrote:
wangdaning wrote:
tyroleanhat wrote:

But again, instruction is likely to be in Chinese, especially since your field is related to music skills and not to an academic subject.

Also, per the link you provided, the following description for Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, College of Art, doesn't appear to be aimed at foreign applicants:

Quote:
3.Holds doctorate, major is related to piano performance and teaching, a leader in the field, academic rank is Associate Professor or above, received provincial piano awards, preferably studied overseas.

I can speak and teach in Chinese, to a certain degree.
Yes, most of these ads are aimed at Chinese, but the Guangdong University published the ad in both languages, which I would say improves my chances. And don't forget, especially in this field many Chinese worship westerners, because that's where this culture comes from.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyroleanhat wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

Quote:

Yes, most of these ads are aimed at Chinese, but the Guangdong University published the ad in both languages, which I would say improves my chances. And don't forget, especially in this field many Chinese worship westerners, because that's where this culture comes from.

Then why ask on an ESL website? What's stopping you? Go ahead and apply since you consider yourself both fluent and literate (proficient in reading and writing) in Chinese, and you tick the other requirements of having received piano awards in China as well as possess teaching experience in a similar BA program...
tyroleanhat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
tyroleanhat wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

Quote:

Then why ask on an ESL website? What's stopping you? Go ahead and apply since you consider yourself both fluent and literate (proficient in reading and writing) in Chinese, and you tick the other requirements of having received piano awards in China as well as possess teaching experience in a similar BA program...

As I wrote about my Chinese, "to a certain degree", least of all in writing. Anyway, I already applied - more just for fun, because this ad is from 2015 and the position probably already filled.
I was just curious about all these different salary classifications they seem to make in China, hence my original question, which I deemed to be legit in a forum that has a lot to do with Universities.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your initial link, one of the first requirements is "Firm and correct political orientation" That's most of us out then!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
From your initial link, one of the first requirements is "Firm and correct political orientation" That's most of us out then!

That and the OP's contention that this forum has "a lot to do with universities." I didn't realize there were so many MA and PhD holders on this China forum who teach in academic degree programs. Confused
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The academic system is pretty superficial. The main criteria will be which university your PhD is from, or which university you have worked in overseas. This will grant the institution face. It doesn't matter so much what you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: