Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official ESLCafe Brexit Poll
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should UK stay in the EU?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 24

Hod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Official ESLCafe Brexit Poll Reply with quote

Feel free to post, but I think it's only right that only people allowed to vote for real do so here. If that's unfair, feel free to set up your own poll for people ineligible to vote.

To be eligible for the big boys' election, you must be*:

- British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens over 18, resident in UK
- UK citizens living overseas for less than 15 years
- Of sound mind

* As I started the poll, I can see who votes.
adventious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's going on in this thread?
Shouldn't the destructions read: - UK citizens living overseas for fewer than 15 years? Wink
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can members of the House of Lords vote ? What about claimants to the throne ?
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lords - yes, this time.
Royals - no, sorry for any ESLCafe member affected by this ruling.
gregory999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know scotty has voted for NO, and has started his NO campaign in Scotland. But, like Alex Salmond, he will not succeed to persuade the Scots to opt out from the EU. Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregory is as deluded as his Namesake Pope Gregory was. Scot47 is tending to a REMAIN vote with caveats about how the EU has treated Greece and its aims to expand ever eastward.

The EU provides us with some protection from the Old Etonians who rule at Westminster. This is particularly true of Employment Rights. Boris and his pals like IDS want the workforce to be reduced to the status of serfs.

On the fate of those named Gregory, take note -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_V_of_Constantinople
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod
Can I vote I vote in your poll? At the moment I have 11 consecutive years of foreign residence (in an EU country). I´m not sure if I´m of sound mind but have never been treated. Since the poll is official I don´t want to take risks.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to ask first. Are you a UK, Irish or commonwealth citizen. If yes, vote.

It's not that I've anything against North Americans, but they make up a huge percentage of this site's membership and would invalidate the poll. Some lazy journalist will see this thread and next thing we'll have the headline 74% OF TEACHERS WANT OUT. So please play nicely. I already had to remove one vote from an ineligible and unnamed member.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted to leave but I am really 50/50. The pitch from the pro-EU campaign focuses too much on the crazy consequences that would happen if we did pull out, but in reality I am sure everything would be smoothed over, especially in the two-year grace period.
gregory999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Gregory is as deluded as his Namesake Pope Gregory was. Scot47 is tending to a REMAIN vote with caveats about how the EU has treated Greece and its aims to expand ever eastward.

The EU provides us with some protection from the Old Etonians who rule at Westminster. This is particularly true of Employment Rights. Boris and his pals like IDS want the workforce to be reduced to the status of serfs.

On the fate of those named Gregory, take note -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_V_of_Constantinople

No scotty, our Gregory is not Gregory V, it is Gregory the Great, who converted Southern England and evangelized them.

Gregory the Great, was inspired by the sight of some young English slaves whom he saw in Rome. Amazed by their fair hair, he asked who they were, and being told they were Angles, replied “Not Angles, but angels.”
https://www.christianhistoryinstitute.org/study/module/gregory-the-great-evangelizes-england/

Gregory the Great addressed the unbelievers nation of England at that time:
"This barbarous, fierce and unbelieving nation.” - Gregory the Great (ca. 540-604) Sends Augustine to Evangelize England.

We need a modern Gregory to make the UK more European! Laughing
adventious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregory999 wrote:
Gregory the Great, was inspired by the sight of some young English slaves whom he saw in Rome. Amazed by their fair hair, he asked who they were, and being told they were Angles, replied “Not Angles, but angels.”
That is but one conjecture. Another is the angle of a hook and a reliance on fishing. Another is the coincidence of the dialect of Angles (Mercian) and Angelos and Mercurius, cognates of the Greek and Latin, respectively-- messengers.
gregory999

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? Metaphysics?
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventious wrote:
gregory999 wrote:
That is but one conjecture. Another is the angle of a hook and a reliance on fishing. Another is the coincidence of the dialect of Angles (Mercian) and Angelos and Mercurius, cognates of the Greek and Latin, respectively-- messengers.

Adventious, I have to admit that you are a brainy guy. I thought that Scot47 was the King of Pretentious Bullshite on this board but you take the biscuit. Wink
wangdaning

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the whole EU should be able to vote. Isn't that the point?
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That obviously isn't in the rules or the rest of the EU would've insisted on it. Then you'd have a foregone conclusion, i.e. UK stays in. Why would any of them be daft enough to risk losing the EU's 2nd biggest economy?

No, we need to decide this ourselves.

I'll even try and remember something some politician('s speechwriters) said last week:

"This isn't a general election. If you don't like the ruling party, you can vote them out after five years. This is more serious and long term."

So if leaving the EU turns into the mother of all nightmares whilst Boris enjoys retirement on his yacht off the Maldives, who you gonna blame? Look in the mirror (not that one).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: