Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brilliant kid
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: brilliant kid Reply with quote

Just started tutoring a 13 year old boy who is unbelievably smart. How smart, you ask? I walk into the room and he is engrossed in "A Brave New World", and then, later, starts lecturing me on existentialism!!!!! I didn't even know what that was until he told me. His intended goal in life is to develop an electric motor/hydrogen fuel cell combination. He attends an international school, but says he doesn't get enough practice with speaking English with his teachers. Also, it sounds like the other kids cannot keep up with him. Small wonder.

What in the world does one do with a kid like this?

We talked about a lot of matters, and he wants to read both "Ordeal By Hunger" and "Two Years Before the Mast". OK, those are certainly adventurous books. He also likes sci-fi. Any sci-fi fans out there who can recommend books that would challenge him? I think stories with hard science/technology would be of interest.

I did ask him what he wanted to study, and he kept saying whatever I wanted to talk about.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

V
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: brilliant kid Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
He also likes sci-fi. Any sci-fi fans out there who can recommend books that would challenge him? I think stories with hard science/technology would be of interest.

Alastair Reynolds is a decent hard science sci-fi author. His Revelation Space series is quite thought provoking.
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Asimov may be a little too juvenile for him but I can recommend the Foundation series.
3701 W.119th

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big sci-fi guy, but I enjoyed a lot of Robert A. Heinlein's stuff. Reads a bit more 'grown-up' than a lot of the nonsense that is typical of the genre (IMO). The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, and Stranger in a Strange Land, should give the two of you more than enough to discuss.

Other classic 'weightier' stuff you could try with him - A Canticle for Leibowitz, 2001, Dune, etc. That's a lot of reading.

Then hit him with Kurt Vonnegut. Laughing
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him being more discerning in his sci fi reading. He's voracious currently, but suggest he look at themes.
Mutant human stories are a sub-genre, starting with Slan and going from there.
Another theme is authors i.e R A Heinlein. Somewhere there is commentary from RAH's widow about his personal philosophies and how they are reflected in what he wrote.
Great to have a bright kid!
Keep him away from Terry Pratchett - that's not sci fi.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
He doesn't get enough practice with speaking English with his teachers.

What in the world does one do with a kid like this?

Any sci-fi fans out there who can recommend books that would challenge him? I think stories with hard science/technology would be of interest.

I did ask him what he wanted to study, and he kept saying whatever I wanted to talk about.

Instead of asking for recommendations on books that he can read on his own for fun, focus on speaking, which seems to be what he wants/needs in terms of developing his social and critical skills and expanding his worldview. Additionally, a 13-year old isn't going to have a sense of what to talk about. Find out what else he likes besides reading (e.g., sports, hobbies, global/social issues, favorite animal, travel, etc.), which, ideally, you'd do via a personal survey your student would fill out.

Consider using ethics lessons aimed at middle and high schoolers for discussions that encourage higher thinking. (Do an Internet search.) An excellent source of ethical behavior is the ABC television show "What would you do?". Since he likes sci fi, some of the Star Trek episodes deal with ethics. Aesop's Fables, idioms, proverbs... can all be used to engage him in discussion. Then there's also my favorite go-to site, Breaking News English, which has news-themed, preset lessons on the four language skills covering a variety of topics including science, technology/inventions, science fiction, etc. (A funky news story I once used with students was about a machine in Japan that washes dogs.) Lastly, you can also work on his presentation (public speaking) skills.
Volver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking careful note of everything people say.

I think he would find Heinlein too easy. I have to look into the other suggestions.

The reading is not an end in itself, but a way to start discussions. I thought about something like the "Iliad" or other ancient authors, and the idea of introducing ethics is a good one. Certainly something to which most students are not introduced.

This is actually the 3rd tutoring student I have like this. Very smart, almost to the point of being scary, and they are simply not challenged by their teachers despite attending the best schools in the city. They are fun but, jeez, you have to stay on your toes constantly. The rate at which they process new information is phenomenal.

V
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3701 W.119th wrote:
..........Then hit him with Kurt Vonnegut. Laughing

Discussing Kurt, seconded.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
The reading is not an end in itself, but a way to start discussions. I thought about something like the "Iliad" or other ancient authors, and the idea of introducing ethics is a good one. Certainly something to which most students are not introduced.

However, keep in mind you're a tutor -- your role is to supplement learning not teach. If you're going to assign reading homework, then make it short stories because 1) your student/tutee will have regular, graded homework from his school teacher(s); and 2) a lengthy book can take him weeks to read. Plus, since he'll be reading at home, you still need activities for your tutoring session, which is why you should consider shorter, varied activities to keep him actively engaged. Additionally, you could adapt his homework assignments for speaking content for your sessions with him. However, that entails connecting with his teacher(s) on a regular basis in order to find out what the class is covering.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let him follow his own reading whims.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well-rounded is he as a person? Most Chinese students are not, nor are geniuses in general (with the exception of Bud Powell of course).

Maybe he would be best served by going on outings to Pizza Hut and such and other activities that would increase his range in social situations and such.

Last edited by jimpellow on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
How well-rounded is he as a person? Not my Chinese students are, nor are geniuses in general (with the exception of Bud Powell of course).

Maybe he would be best served by going on outings to Pizza Hut and such and other activities that would increase his range in social situations and such.

Good point.
Best
NS
Volver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am inclined to let him follow his own reading whims. My job is to expose him to reading material he would not otherwise know about and then get him discussing what he read. He is quite obviously way smarter than I am, but lacks exposure to many ideas/views/concepts.

The students I have do not need help with their schoolwork. I have tried this before and it has been total waste of time. They are simply not being stimulated enough in their English classes and want more than just drills.

Thanks for all the advice and I am acting on it now. The next class is Thursday and I will start experimenting with some of your suggestions.

V
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
I am inclined to let him follow his own reading whims. My job is to expose him to reading material he would not otherwise know about and then get him discussing what he read. He is quite obviously way smarter than I am, but lacks exposure to many ideas/views/concepts.

The students I have do not need help with their schoolwork. I have tried this before and it has been total waste of time. They are simply not being stimulated enough in their English classes and want more than just drills.

Thanks for all the advice and I am acting on it now. The next class is Thursday and I will start experimenting with some of your suggestions.

V

How many students in this class?
While too many can be problematic the reverse is also true.
Some activities rely on a large number - say up to 60.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:

Not all tutoring involves helping learners with homework. However, it's possible to create supplemental speaking activities from topics that the classroom teacher is covering without resorting to boring drills. That said, using reading material as a foundation for discussion can be limiting since you're restricted to just that one medium. This is why I suggested you include short video and audio/music clips to add some visual and auditory variety to the tutoring sessions, regardless of the topic.

But if you're adamant about sticking with reading material (preferably short stories), at least expand the content by having your learner: 1) delve into the characters' personality traits and their relationships; 2) draw parallels to current world issues; 3) explore "what if" scenarios that deviate from a situation in the book; 4) come up with alternative solutions to a dilemma the characters face; 5) act out scenes from the book; and so on. These activities could be spread out over weeks depending on how often you meet for sessions.

Keep us posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: