Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Rwanda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misteradventure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Teaching in Rwanda Reply with quote

I'm trolling for thoughts on this posting in Rwanda for ILMI which has a fill-in-the-blank resume format on the website.

The salary sounds high for the area, although nice for a start-up. They talk about work in neighboring countries (which sounds bizarre without official government backing from all interested nations) and vague language about existing clients.

They appear brand spanking new. The only thing lacking is a reference to a rich relation (recently deceased/incarcerated) in Nigeria.

I wonder how a new organization will have any Alumni Network worth anything to new hires. Is this a scam or what?

Your thoughts are welcome.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been curious about working in Rwanda, would love to spend a year there. I emailled them and got a reply from a guy with a Spanish sounding name. Maybe its all those nigerian email scams, but I am always suspicious about jobs in Africa, especially as you said, the money seems quite alot, 1000 bucks must be a fortune there...

I'm also very interested to hear if anyone has had much to do with them, please share!

Thanks,
VagabondMK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Rwanda gig Reply with quote

I filled out the form, wrote the essay, etc. and got an automated email response saying that they would get back to me in two weeks. There seemed to be too much non-standard detail in the website for it to be a scam, but that's not proof of authenticity.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the advert too and would be interested if I didn't have work commitments for next year already. I don't think it's a scam at all. the website looks and seems far too professional but I will be interested to hear how applicants get on and whether they're asked upfront for a large admin fee.

How did we all get so cyncial...?
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did we all get so cynical? I dont know the answer to that, but my brother does, his name is Mbanga Mydrum and he was formerly the 1st admiral of the Nigerian navy, he is currently in need of your help...

But seriously did anyone see the nigerian astronaut email scam, where the person's nigerian astronaut brother has been left up in a soviet space station for 20 yrs because excess cargo took up his place in the return shuttle? hehe, that has to be a spoof, otherwise I want to find the scammer who dreamed it up and buy him a cheap pint.
muss8813

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Anyone have an update on this org? Vagabond, did you happen to hear anything back? Peace.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the British Council are now offering a similar but much better offer in Rwanda. It looks like a government contract has been divided up between the two organisations. The BC needs IELTS trainers though....

Sounds like an interesting opportunity in any case.
paddyroyal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Rwanda Reply with quote

The guys who interviewed me have resigned for breach of contract and advise exreme care for anyone thinking about being involved. They seem sincere and are very disappointed about how things have gone.
Yorks Lad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So THAT'S why we all became so cynical...!
MammaLilly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: American in Rwanda Reply with quote

I'm living in Rwanda and I only know of the British council operation. I work as a volunteer and privately, but I will say that the cost of living in Rwanda is very high compared to other African countries. It is a great place to live. It is generally safe and gorgeous weather. Email me if you have any questions about Rwanda.
danmbob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have new info on Rwanda?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmbob wrote:
Anyone have new info on Rwanda?

One of my friends was there in late 2014 on a special teacher-training program via the Peace Corps. Also take a look at the ELF program.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: