Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BRUSSELS EXPLOSIONS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregory999

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: BRUSSELS EXPLOSIONS Reply with quote

10 minutes ago ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35869254
Lack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I have a great idea. Let's bring some more migrants in without vetting them first.

Better yet, let's completely fail to learn anything from bombing Middle Eastern countries so that we can keep creating displaced populations!

This was clearly an isolated incident having nothing to do with the massive influx of migrants from incompatible cultures.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along...
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straw Man Alert:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/11/20/infographic-screening-process-refugee-entry-united-states

Regards,
John
gregory999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Straw Man Alert:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/11/20/infographic-screening-process-refugee-entry-united-states

Regards,
John

Step 9 of the screening process for refugee entry into the US:
Quote:
Refugees are woven into the rich fabric of American society!

I wonder how Trump will interpret the above statement about the refugees in the US? Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with Paris, the perps in Belgium were not recent migrants from Syria but citizens and life-long residents of Europe.
Lack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
As with Paris, the perps in Belgium were not recent migrants from Syria but citizens and life-long residents of Europe.

How Orwellian. I suppose we're supposed to imagine some middle aged, white, nominally-Christian, native Europeans committed this atrocity.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Straw Man Alert:

Regards,
John

Are you saying that Lack used a Straw Man Argument in his post or that you anticipate SMAs in reply to yours?

Last edited by sheikh radlinrol on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack wrote:
scot47 wrote:

How Orwellian. I suppose we're supposed to imagine some middle aged, white, nominally-Christian, native Europeans committed this atrocity.

Definitely a Straw Man Argument. Here´s another.
MacDuff, ¨We´re better off in the Union. Say no to independence for Scotland¨
MacDougall, ¨So you think we´re too wee, too weak and too stupid to stand on our own two feet!¨
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sheikh,

My mistake - I assumed every reader would be able to figure out what it means. It's a good reminder that just because something seems obvious to me, that doesn't mean it will be for everyone else.

Please let me clarify: "Let's bring some more migrants in without vetting them first."

I hope that makes my point clearer.

Besides, we all know that middle-aged, white, normally-Christian people never commit acts of terrorism:

http://www.truthasaur.com/misc/images/mcveigh21.gif

http://time.com/3934980/right-wing-extremists-white-terrorism-islamist-jihadi-dangerous/

http://newsone.com/1417755/top-10-white-christian-terrorists/

Regards,
John
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. S. It must be very early where you are.
BTW Do you agree that my two examples are, indeed, Straw Man Arguments?
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear shikh,

I'm an early-riser (when you have 3 dogs and a cat, there isn't really any choice). Very Happy

I'd say your example (were there 2 - I see this one:

"MacDuff, ¨We´re better off in the Union. Say no to independence for Scotland¨
MacDougall, ¨So you think we´re too wee, too weak and too stupid to stand on our own two feet!¨

but can't find another).

is also a straw man argument. Has anyone made such an argument on these threads?

Regards,
John
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. S. This is my other example of a Straw Man Argument

Lack wrote:
scot47 wrote:

We aren´t asked to imagine anything, are we?
Lack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

Please let me clarify: "Let's bring some more migrants in without vetting them first."

Most refugees coming into Europe are not properly vetted. We all know this is greatly contributing to these terrorist acts. And the talking heads aren't talking about it. Dissent is dismissed as "Islamophobia." The fact that these particular attackers were in Europe for a long time prior to the attacks suggests something even worse: this invasion has been in the works for a long time.

Quote:
Besides, we all know that middle-aged, white, normally-Christian people never commit acts of terrorism:

http://www.truthasaur.com/misc/images/mcveigh21.gif

http://time.com/3934980/right-wing-extremists-white-terrorism-islamist-jihadi-dangerous/

http://newsone.com/1417755/top-10-white-christian-terrorists/

Go peddle your pseudo-righteous strawman arguments elsewhere. I never said Christians do not commit terror acts. THEY DO. When white Christians commit terrorist acts, everyone is so quick to associate it with Christianity. No one ever dismisses such an association with "Christophobia." If a white Christian bombs an abortion clinic, the bobble heads on the "news" are adamant in reminding everyone of the attacker's religion and race. And they should. My shocking idea is that we should also do this for Islamic terrorists.
Lack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheikh radlinrol wrote:
Mr. S. This is my other example of a Straw Man Argument

Lack wrote:
scot47 wrote:

We aren´t asked to imagine anything, are we?

The language suggests a certain image in good ol' Orwellian fashion. It's vague; he could easily have used accurate details, such as what language the attackers were speaking and the religion they adhere to.
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I think he was simply trying to make the point that the bombers were not refugees or immigrants, but people born and raised in Belgium. This was also the case in London 2005, I think.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: