Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any new information on Modern College of Business and Scienc
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
East_West

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:43 am    Post subject: Any new information on Modern College of Business and Scienc Reply with quote

Hello I will be getting an offer for a Faculty position at MCBS, and I am wondering what do they offer in terms of compensation - they have only provided a vague statement on their website such as "Competitive packages depending on qualifications and experience". I have seen an old discussion in this forum (2003), but does anyone have new insights - salary, accommodation, etc. so that I can at least ask few questions to the Interviewer!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Any new information on Modern College of Business and Sc Reply with quote

East_West wrote:
Hello I will be getting an offer for a Faculty position at MCBS, and I am wondering what do they offer in terms of compensation

You're getting an offer but are wondering what they offer? Confused

and wrote:
They have only provided a vague statement on their website such as "Competitive packages depending on qualifications and experience".

Which means they determine salary based on your specific qualifications and experience. So simply ask them how salary is calculated and what benefits they provide.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another new OP who does not know how to correctly phrase an indirect question
Quote:
I am wondering what do they offer..
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case the poster does have an account that appeared in 2012 which suggests that s/he isn't a member of the current troll review. Cool

All I can say about MCBS is that these days, they hire very few native speakers of English or at least those with western passports. That is probably not an issue for our OP, but it suggests that the pay and benefits package is low. As it always has been as a small private college.

I suspect that I am the only poster who is a member of Dave's who ever taught there, and that was 16 years ago. Their package will very likely be less than the Ministry colleges, so look at those threads to see the closest comparable.

I suspect that your only source of what will be included in any offer from them will have to be them at the interview.

Good Luck

VS
East_West

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks "veiledsentiments" for your detailed reply. More importantly, I was not specific in my OP! Of course that ended up in nitpicking of my text from other experts on this forum! Following are my specifics:

Faculty - Non ESL (Sciences, PhD)
Interview - in a month (Direct and not by any outside recruiter)
Resident - US Immigrant and will be a US citizen next month

What I meant by "offer" is - that they are interested in pursing my resume and asked "what are your expectations in terms of compensation, etc."! So I am reading a variety of Oman related information to understand the "package" for the Faculty! I have never worked in the Middle East, although I know some universities offer Free Accommodation and other goodies! For example, SQU gives a decent information on their website about their Faculty accommodation, whereas MCBS is not explicit in terms of their Faculty-related details.

Once again, thanks for the info! Your replies are very informative!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

East_West wrote:
I was not specific in my OP! Of course that ended up in nitpicking of my text from other experts on this forum! Following are my specifics:

Faculty - Non ESL (Sciences, PhD)
Interview - in a month (Direct and not by any outside recruiter)
Resident - US Immigrant and will be a US citizen next month

What I meant by "offer" is - that they are interested in pursing my resume and asked "what are your expectations in terms of compensation, etc."! So I am reading a variety of Oman related information to understand the "package" for the Faculty! I have never worked in the Middle East, although I know some universities offer Free Accommodation and other goodies! For example, SQU gives a decent information on their website about their Faculty accommodation, whereas MCBS is not explicit in terms of their Faculty-related details.

No nitpicking on my part; your initial post was both confusing and vague. Plus, an interview invitation isn't considered the same as "getting an offer" since you haven't yet met with the hiring managers/interviewers.

When employers ask for compensation expectations, determine the range of salary you're comfortable with (exclusive of employer-provided benefits). But given that the position is for experienced, academic faculty, it's doubtful anyone on this EFL forum can even guess at what salary you should go for. If the employer really wants you, they'll be willing to negotiate toward the higher end of your desired salary range.
East_West

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad for your excellent input! I will keep your suggestions in mind, and will jot down few things to discuss with their HR! Much respect to your comments!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that none of us really has any idea what PhDs are getting paid in the private colleges. I expect that it is a large range as there are levels of Professors... and your years of experience after receiving your Phd also affect it.

Be sure to get hired with your US passport as it may very well mean higher pay. (not always true with Oman employers)

When I was there the college provided nice furnished flats, but most education employers have moved to giving out allowances instead. I presume that they will make this clear during an interview. They should also provide all required visas, flights (beginning and end of contract... and summer leave), and medical insurance.

If you have a family, they too should be provided with tickets. I'm not sure if they pay any education allowance for school age children.

VS
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

East-West,

I apologise if you perceived my comments as nitpicking. However, allow me to respectfully point out that there are people on Dave's who hire. You have probably written enough about yourself to be identified.

It's really a good idea to take the time to make sure that you are creating a solid professional impression regarding your command of English grammar. As you have a PhD, one can assume it is strong, but your posts above do not showcase this.

Quote:
...ask few questions...in pursing my resume...a decent information...jot down few things...

The boards have also been inundated with new OPs making similar errors who are trolls.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that common non-native speaker errors will be a big deal at a college where few, if any, of the faculty or management is a native speaker either.

But getting called out on errors is an "occupational hazard" of posting on a board of English teachers. LOL

VS
East_West

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated - Much respect to your comments, and thanks. My mother tongue is NOT English (you might have figured it out already), so no worries, you have every right to correct me (that's the best way to learn)! Thank God, my Doctoral work is not in English else you all would have crucified me! As for my OP, well I do apologize that my first query was not explicit enough ...rather vague! Nevertheless, I will keep you posted on the developments! My kids are as American as Apple Pie, so I have to weigh pros and cons in terms of the move (in addition to other issues).
gregory999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did no say the type of position?
Is it for a Lecturer or Assistant Professor position?
If I were you, I will ask for at least a salary equivalent to 1.2 X salary of an Assistant Professor in the US.
But, I doubt MCBS can offer you this scale of salary.
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My mother tongue is NOT English

If you don't mind me asking. How did you manage to get an English teaching job in the Gulf as a non-native speaker? my perception from both these forums and my own job hunting has pointed that these sort of jobs are pretty much off limits to non natives.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyrockets wrote:
Quote:
My mother tongue is NOT English

If you don't mind me asking. How did you manage to get an English teaching job in the Gulf as a non-native speaker? my perception from both these forums and my own job hunting has pointed that these sort of jobs are pretty much off limits to non natives.

The OP is a PhD holder and will be teaching science, not English:

East_West wrote:
Following are my specifics:

Faculty - Non ESL (Sciences, PhD)...

Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOM colleges of Technology throughout Oman are full of non-natives teaching English.... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: