Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sur and Salalah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfarer34

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Sur and Salalah Reply with quote

Hello! I am searching these days for esl work in Sur or Salalah and would like to know if anyone could advise me on how easy/difficult finding this would be. I have the CELTA certificate I gained ten years ago but not much experience and I never completed a university degree, 3 A levels only. I also plan to go to Oman in July to look for work on the spot, would this be wise or just a waste of money? I am a British muslim woman who has been resident in the Arab world and in Turkey for seven years now, would that be a plus?
Thanks to anyone who could advise.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lack of a BA is a major problem.

Are you heading to Oman as a trailing spouse (i.e., wife of an expat worker)?
wayfarer34

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am not a trailing spouse and am actually hoping in the end to find work that will allow me to get a visa for my own spouse.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trolling spouse-maybe? Confused Sorry if this OP is genuine but, come on -been 'searching these days'?!! Sad
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfarer34 wrote:
No, I am not a trailing spouse and am actually hoping in the end to find work that will allow me to get a visa for my own spouse.

You won't find TEFL work in the Gulf without a bona fide degree.
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I even have a masters degree and previous living experience in Oman and never even got an opportunity for an interview. But then again, you have the right passport and I don't. However I think that without a degree you won't really get anything. I also think that traveling to the gulf with the hopes of getting a job just by showing up in places is extremely unrealistic, that's not how things work over there.
Mixal

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyrockets wrote:
But then again, you have the right passport and I don't. I also think that traveling to the gulf with the hopes of getting a job just by showing up in places is extremely unrealistic, that's not how things work over there.

May we know your nationality? Can you elaborate a bit on the latter?
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixal wrote:
rustyrockets wrote:
But then again, you have the right passport and I don't. I also think that traveling to the gulf with the hopes of getting a job just by showing up in places is extremely unrealistic, that's not how things work over there.

May we know your nationality? Can you elaborate a bit on the latter?

I come from South America, currently in the process of obtaining EU citizenship (but not from an English speaking country), basically in most jobs I applied to (not only in Oman but the Gulf in general) I never passed any recruiter's first filter because they prefer or exclusively consider people that hold a passport from an English speaking country .

I know some people here might answer with "maybe your degree is not the right one" or "you don't have enough experience" but trust me, in most if not all the rejection letters I received the main reason was "you are not a holder of such or such passport" or even "I think you have a fantastic resume and if it wasn't for the nationality requirement I would hire you on the spot".

So basically that's about it, holding the right passport can do wonders in the Gulf, sadly I was born in the wrong place...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyrockets wrote:
I come from South America, currently in the process of obtaining EU citizenship (but not from an English speaking country), basically in most jobs I applied to (not only in Oman but the Gulf in general) I never passed any recruiter's first filter because they prefer or exclusively consider people that hold a passport from an English speaking country .

I know some people here might answer with "maybe your degree is not the right one" or "you don't have enough experience" but trust me, in most if not all the rejection letters I received the main reason was "you are not a holder of such or such passport" or even "I think you have a fantastic resume and if it wasn't for the nationality requirement I would hire you on the spot".

The Gulf is full of teachers from non-Anglophone countries; however, they tend to have TEFL/English-related degrees. Additionally, there's a push in the GCC to fill positions (including TEFL) with qualified nationals, particularly those who completed their TESOL MA or PhD at an Anglophone university.

Employers seeking specific nationalities look first at the passport, and if that meets their primary requirement, they go on to review academic qualifications and experience. In your situation, your nationality automatically disqualified you; the employer didn't need to address your unrelated degrees and lack of experience. Frankly, there's no guarantee native speakers with your exact qualifications would get a second look since more and more employers expect TEFL-related degrees and a few years of experience. Job postings are usually clear about what's required. Some contracting companies (especially the dodgier ones) tend to be flexible in terms of qualifications but not so with nationality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: