Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Residency Permit and health insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Residency Permit and health insurance Reply with quote

My permit expires on June 15th. How long after that date would my health insurance be valid? Does it expire immediately after my card does? I'm asking, because I'm looking into changing jobs.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your health insurance is independent of your visa, although coverage is required to get one of any type. Work visas require you to be sponsored by a company, and you will need to show you have approved health insurance coverage, regardless of who pays for it. Bigger/better employers will enroll you in their group plan, and they'll provide you with the needed documentation.

You will need coverage for the length of time you are applying for your visa or renewal, whether you are getting it through your employer or on your own. I suspect this'd just take the form of paying for the additional months needed: this is how I did mine. If you are going for a personal short-term visa, apart from working, the max term is one-year anyway.

turkeycentral.com has a very good sections dealing with the ins/outs of these things.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your health insurance is independent of your visa, although coverage is required to get one of any type. Work visas require you to be sponsored by a company, and you will need to show you have approved health insurance coverage, regardless of who pays for it.

You will need coverage for the length of time you are applying for your visa or renewal, whether you are getting it through your employer or on your own. I suspect this'd just take the form of paying for the additional months needed: this is how I did mine. If you are going for a personal short-term visa, apart from working, the max term is one-year anyway.

turkeycentral.com has a very good sections dealing with the ins/outs of these things.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it really works here. For some reason, my ID card expires in June, though I didn't even start working until September of last year. I work for a public university. I was told that a week after June 15th, if I'm no longer working there, then my health insurance is no longer valid. I'm in the middle of applying for other university jobs. I will have to either renew with my current university to get paid for the summer and have insurance or pick up another job, but I'm not sure when the insurance for the next job would kick in.
It wouldn't be an issue if my card ended in late August instead of June.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how it really works here. For some reason, my ID card expires in June, though I didn't even start working until September of last year. I work for a public university. They may or may not have broken some law. They took advantage of the fact that I didn't understand the process over here. Anyway, how could they legally have June on my contract when I didn't start until September? And does that mean I won't get paid for the summer if I don't renew?

I was told that a week after June 15th, if I'm no longer working there, then my health insurance is no longer valid. I'm in the middle of applying for other university jobs. I will have to either renew with my current university to get paid for the summer. If I get hired by another university, then I'd have to wait until September to get health insurance coverage, it seems. It wouldn't be an issue if my card ended in late August instead of June.

I may just re-sign and try to leave the university for another one. My Australian colleague also thinks the university's kind of shady.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: