Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to find secondary EFL jobs in Oman?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monday

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Where to find secondary EFL jobs in Oman? Reply with quote

I want to find work in Oman teaching middle school or high school EFL courses.
  • I'd prefer to work with local students, rather than international students.
  • Rural or urban areas are equally okay.
  • I'd like to be able to save at least $1500 per month.
Background: native speaker, TESOL cert, MAT, 6 years experience in East Asia. My MAT was on-line, but from a state school.

I found lots of listings for university jobs that I qualify for, but I need to work with grades 7-12 to earn a teaching license. I've only found a few listings on recruiting Web sites, such as www.teachingnomad.com and www.primeteachers.com, but I have no way to know if they are genuine.

Is there any reputable recruiter or resource for finding work that I qualify for? Are there many secondary schools jobs in Oman?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find secondary EFL jobs in Oman? Reply with quote

Monday wrote:
I need to work with grades 7-12 to earn a teaching license.

Although you could contact schools directly, take a look at Teach Away's site; it focuses mostly on the GCC.

That said, there are several major issues with securing your ideal position: 1) Omanization, the government's ongoing initiative to replace foreigners with Omanis in all sectors, including k-12 education; 2) you don't have relevant teaching experience gained in your home country (US); and 3) you lack a teaching license, which has become the standard in this region. Plus, the individual supervising you would need to meet specific requirements.

Have you looked into Korea?
Monday

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is there a good potential to save money there? Do they have public secondary schools that hire foreigners?

With so many confusing things to calculate, such as different currencies, exchange rates, costs of living, etc., it has been hard for me to calculate which countries will offer good opportunities to save money. I used to be able to save $1500/month in China, but not in the summers, and living costs have increased so much now, I can barely save $500/month now.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to find secondary EFL jobs in Oman? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

Seconded. Monday, I'd suggest you Google EPIK and, if you are interested in Seoul, SMOE. All the details are online. These sound like they might be good options for you, based on what you've said Cool. Good luck!
Monday

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion! I will take a look at that. Is there a reason to suggest Seoul? That is a better place for saving money?
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday wrote:
Is there a reason to suggest Seoul? That is a better place for saving money?

No reason. My understanding is that it's pretty much the same thing, but it's divided into two different government authorities for internal administrative reasons. SMOE is for Seoul, EPIK covers the rest of the ROK. I'd imagine SMOE is probably more competitive to get into, but I'm certainly no expert. My Korea experience is limited to having had a three-night stopover in Seoul a while ago. Anyway, I'd check them both out and go from there. There will be plenty of information online and on the South Korea forums...
Charlie123

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busan is another city in Korea to try to find work. There is a really nice community of western teachers there. The public school jobs are quite decent, I think. Many people prefer Busan to Seoul. It is cleaner and friendlier by most accounts.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astute Education Ltd-aussie recruiters are interviewing during May[various locations] for High school positions in UAE-if the op wants to consider a Gulf option to Oman.Related B.A. + CELTA are the academic requirements.....
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Astute Education Ltd-aussie recruiters are interviewing during May[various locations] for High school positions in UAE-if the op wants to consider a Gulf option to Oman.Related B.A. + CELTA are the academic requirements.....

Definitely research that position thoroughly. Also be aware that housing is included in that 21,000 AED/mo --- rental rates in the UAE are not cheap. Add on the costs for utilities, furniture, appliances, Internet, transportation...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: