Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the quality of life in Kuwait for a single person?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
christmas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: What is the quality of life in Kuwait for a single person? Reply with quote

Hello
I'm considering taking a teaching post but not sure what life will be like in Kuwait. So far I haven't read anything redeeming about the place. Are there activities to keep busy with? Yoga, gyms, art classes, dance classes, etc. Anything really. I live in Oman and find it limiting here. Are Xpats clicky or friendly and easy to get to know?
Thanks
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow you missed Is the social life in Kuwait similar to the UAE ? right below this thread.
christmas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, just hoping for something better.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Interior Oman v Kuwait Reply with quote

I was a single guy in both Kuwait and in Oman. I don't know about Yoga, art or dance classes. But I did spend a lot of time in the gym in Kuwait. They are everywhere and, when I was there (2010-2012), cheap.

I don't know where you are in Oman, but I was in the interior, and life was much quieter. This might have to do with the particular town I was in and the employer I had which was a smaller organization, and thus a smaller group of xpats. Are you a drinker? The hotel bars in Oman gave me an outlet that I didn't have in Kuwait. Playing pool, bringing my laptop, watching sports on TV and chatting with Omanis was enough for me.

In Kuwait, I was at a larger organization and so had greater networking opportunities. Also, my apartment happened to be a place where a lot of American military contractors lived. But, no hotel bars. However, I gathered that the longer you are there and the more networking you have increases one's quality of life, as per socializing. For instance, I heard rumors of wild parties in people's villas, in the desert, etc.

I think that whether xpats are clicky or friendly really depends on the type of xpats one gets to meet. This might depend on where you are teaching, where you live and whether you have a car. For example, I was in a newer area of Kuwait City which was far from the center of town, so there weren't as many expats there to be able to meet in the first place. In Kuwait, some xpats were friendly and others were not. In the interior of Oman I was one of very few expats. Muscat is probably a better option if socializing and having a large group of friends is important to you.

The students in Oman are far more motivated, respectful and serious than in Kuwait.

Good luck!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is the quality of life in Kuwait for a single perso Reply with quote

christmas wrote:
Are there activities to keep busy with? Yoga, gyms, art classes, dance classes, etc. Anything really.

just hoping for something better.

Via a quick Google search:From the link I posted to that other thread:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: