Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFL/ESOL is getting harder and harder re jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: EFL/ESOL is getting harder and harder re jobs Reply with quote

When you're young, you don't think about pensions, health care, tax and getting old. EFL's a laugh. You get to travel, date hot people and experience new places.

I've been an EFL teacher for 20 years. It's getting harder and harder. I work in the Middle East, used to work in Eastern Europe and have worked in the UK at language schools and an FE college.
The thing is, to get the fewer and fewer 'good' jobs, you need to 'invest' in more and more expensive qualifications. It's a bit of a trap because even then there's no guarantee. The well-paid jobs are on the slide in the ME due to the low price of oil. I went back to Eastern Europe last year in between jobs and was offered entry-level pay, split-level shifts and thought screw that. The UK regs mean schools are closing.

If I were younger, I'd get straight out of EFL. It's a duff job these days with no prospects.

It used to be that the pay and the cost of living were doable, but in most cases now you'll live in penury in a nice place where you can't afford to do the nice things in that place.

There was always the Middle East bolt-hole but that is closing.

I'm lucky, I have a house bought by me on Middle Eastern wages. I pity the next generation and I'm only mid-40s.
guobaoyobro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you feel this way, but it really depends on what you want.

I've only been in the game a few years, but I save a ton of dough in N.E. China, can travel on the holidays, and live as I please here. I could bail to a different city after a short traveling break, and do the same.

Again, in the long-spectrum, I just got on.

I found it all pretty easy to get into, too, so surely with some due diligence, anyone else could do the same, as I'm kind of a space cadet.

Not sure what more you could want, than that.

- Thoughts from the other side of the coin.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: EFL/ESOL is getting harder and harder re jobs Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I've been an EFL teacher for 20 years. It's getting harder and harder.

What's getting harder and harder? (I'm not trying to be facetious here.) Newbies won't have a clue as to what exactly you're bemoaning about. Besides, they're only getting your perspective (of whatever is getting harder) based on your specific situation.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

My situation is fine, I'm lucky. Countless friends are struggling to make ends meet.

I specialized in Oil and Gas/Technical English years ago. I work for oil companies and have for 15 years. Such jobs are disappearing. The vast majority of TEFLers, work in language schools, which pay direly. Uni foundation years are getting cut left, right and centre. More and more people are fighting for fewer and fewer jobs and meanwhile the cost of living marches on.

China is the last big market. Then it's over. Not everyone's cuppa.

I think it's madness to get into this business now.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
The thing is, to get the fewer and fewer 'good' jobs, you need to 'invest' in more and more expensive qualifications.

Sure. That's also the norm and reality in our home countries. Bumping up one's qualifications is the best strategy toward getting more pay and/or qualifying for better opportunities. TESOL is no exception.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what's happening is the decline of the era where the backpacking TEFLer could cruise around the world with minimal quals and still make a 'decent' living (usually due to the low living costs where they teach). However, costs of living are increasing all over the world while the pay for entry-level EFL jobs has stayed mostly stagnant. It's forced those who want to stay in the industry longer term to up skill themselves in order to secure the better paying roles. Not entirely a bad thing in my opinion.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think it is more complex than that.

15-20 years ago backpackers were teaching EFL to a niche market and going pretty good in the local economies for their minimal work.

Now, EFL has largely gone mainstream with primary and secondary schools being mandated by national governments to teach EFL.

With that movement of EFL from the niche market in language centers to mainstream education the days of the "Tourist Teacher" are pretty much numbered and those who want to stay in the game are being required to gain legitimate teaching qualifications.

dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Plenty of MA qualified teachers in cruddy jobs these days. In the Gulf it all went wrong when the a.) budgets got slashed and b.) the market got flooded with, largely American MA lit teachers, many of whom are relatively inexperienced and arrive via Teachaway etc and c.) when companies outsourced training to the usual suspects.
In much of Europe the difference in pay for being highly qualified is minimal.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In much of Europe the difference in pay for being highly qualified is minimal.

Language schools obviously pay language school rates with little variation for qualifications, but universities and international schools are a different kettle of fish. So there are well-paid jobs in Europe for highly qualified teachers, though the job market is relatively small.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Dead on Spiral.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: