Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scorpions in Mexico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankeechemist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Scorpions in Mexico Reply with quote

I would not even consider going into the Durango state, but what about QR and the Mexico city area, are they an issue?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are going into the desert I wouldn't worry too much about them. I live right on the edge of the state of Durango and have yet to see one, and I do have a bit on land in the back of my property. Have been to Durango a few times too, and never saw one there either (well, at least not a live one). Lived in Mexico City for many years and never saw one there. Don't know about Queretaro. I wouldn't be going to Durango right now, though, but not because of the scorpions.......
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve lived in Mexico City about 20 years if you add it all together, including the last 15 years continuous. I saw a scorpion in my house once; it was about 20 years ago. I think there are micro variations in habitat; my sister-in-law a few blocks away from where I was living the one time I saw the scorpion said that they had them more frequently (relatively). And we live on the outskirts, where there are some wild areas – my guess would be that they’d be even less likely in 100% urban areas.

My husband lived in Guanajuato for a couple years (a long time ago) and he said there they had a lot of scorpions. It was a new apartment up on the mountain, so probably was invading a former wild area.

Last edited by notamiss on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QR – ¿Quintana Roo or Querétaro?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in Mexico City for over 6 years and have spent extended periods of time here since 1966. The only "wildlife" I've seen in my house are cucarachas and mosquitoes.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but I lived a few years in the US state of Georgia and we had numerous scorpions there. Along with fire ants, very aggressive wasps, ground hornets (the kind that live in tunnels under the ground and come out to kill en masse when you run a lawn mower over their entrances), and 6 varieties of deadly snakes.
I have NO idea why any human wants to live there!!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? This thread isn't about the 80s German rock band playing a concert in Mexico?!?

oops, sorry. Embarassed

Rock you like a hurricane!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they last played Mexico a year and a half ago; no return trip scheduled yet.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw my first scorpion last night, in over 13 years here...in Merida though. Nasty looking critters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a scorpion for the first time the other day. Never saw one before. It was a huge black one about 3 inches long. It was dead from some dude who smashed it. If it was alive I would have had a heart attack and died just from seeing it.
yankeechemist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="notamiss"]QR ¿Quintana Roo or Querétaro?[/quote]

Quintana Roo
Guero1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads in El Bajio but mostly rural areas. We've had one in our house and we are in Queretaro.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't begin to say how many alacranes I've seen and killed in Mexico. Many in close proximity to my young children. I used a picture book to teach them what they were and not to touch them starting around when they were 18 months. old.
footymane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but I lived a few years in the US state of Georgia and we had numerous scorpions there. Along with fire ants, very aggressive wasps, ground hornets (the kind that live in tunnels under the ground and come out to kill en masse when you run a lawn mower over their entrances), and 6 varieties of deadly snakes.
I have NO idea why any human wants to live there!!

I can second this... I currently live in Georgia, and we have scorpions, wasps/hornets/yellow jackets, snakes, etc... Each of these are very common here. I have actually had numerous scorpions and wasps in my house, as well as one snake who snuck in and made it to the second floor Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: